Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, another 7800GT thread. Rather than highjacking someone else's thread with my specific questions, I'll ask here. I want to (safely, of course) squeeze as much as I can out of my XFX 7800GT. I've downloaded ATITool and messed with it a little bit, but I'm still quite confused on the workings of the program, and what I'm doing in general.

I tried hiking my core clock to 475MHz (from 275MHz), and my memory to 725MHz (from 525MHz) (topped out at 64C, I idle at 43C) then did an artifact test, but how long do I need to test before it's positive there will be no artifacts and that I'm safe? (I ran it for three minutes with no errors before I gave up and decided to ask for help.)

I also let the program find my max core and it got to 500MHz (@ 65C) before my speakers beeped once, and I became worried and aborted.

So basically, what I really need to know is (1.) a suggestion for an increment (5MHz? 10MHz? etc?) to step up my core and mem for each test, and (2.) how long to run the artifact test before I'm sure that I'm safe. Knowing what other peopled maxed out on with stock cooling would be nice as well, even though each card OCs different, of course.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Im just wondering why you are using ATITool to overclock a nVidia graphics card...

There may not be anything bad about it, but ATITool is made with ATI graphics cards in mind, so something like Rivatuner or a nvidia card overclocker might be a better choice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I half wonder that myself. I'm using it just to test artifacting and limits, as suggested in another 7800GT thread, not for the actual overclocking. For that I'm using the supplied nVidia software.

EDIT: BTW, nice Samurai.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiK_0_0

Im just wondering why you are using ATITool to overclock a nVidia graphics card...

There may not be anything bad about it, but ATITool is made with ATI graphics cards in mind, so something like Rivatuner or a nvidia card overclocker might be a better choice.

lol no its ok you can use it, but i like to use coolbits more than ATItool.

-Sparda

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
in case you didn't know, the 275Mhz is your 2D clock. check the clock speeds to the right on ATI tool to see what your card runs at in full 3D mode (should be 450Mhz). you don't really want to OC your 2D clock...there's no point... just thought i'd point that out to ya.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, everything is making more sense now that I'm in 3D Mode. Disegard my MHz figures fromt he first post. I think I can figure this out on my own from here. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I found a good OC area. 488MHz core and 1.15GHz mem. I picked up 600 marks in 3DMark03, 400 in 3DMark05, and 200 in 3DMark06. But I lost 3,000 marks in 3DMark01, and lost 6,000 in AquaMark3. Hmm...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

Hmm...uninstalled my v81.85, cleaned with Driver Cleaner Pro, installed the new 81.98, and I'm still getting the same OC preformance drops in AM3 and 3DMark01.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
There seems to be a point in overclocking all GPUs when it suddenly loses peformance. For my 6600LE, this is at 380/496. As soon as I push the core up to 400 or 420, I start to go up in performance again.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker

488 core??
That's great for a 7800GT! You have a great G70 core.

I bench at 480/1230 but that's BARELY stable

Umm.....really? I have got it at 500/1.17. I can push the clock up a bit more if I wanted to take the time and the mem clock I can bring up way more....I thought My card had somthing wrong with it too...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The latest versions of ATi Tool work just fine with nVidia cards. I suggest setting your memory clock to stock and then set ATi Tool to run "Find max core." for an hour or so. Ignore the beeps that's the program letting you know that it bumped down the clock speed because it detected an artifact. Once you've found your max core take note of it and set it back to stock and then proceed to run "Find max memory." for about an hour or so. When I let ATi tool run to find my max memory it tends to crash at around 730MHz (non DDR) and reboot. If this happens do you, do not fret. Just start up ATi Tool again and it will give you a message of the last running frequency. I tend to round down to the nearest five and set that as the memory clock. Example, ATi Tool reports 588MHz as your last running frequency I'd take her down to 585MHz. Once you've found both your memory and core maximums, set them to those values and run the "Scan for artifacts." and make sure it will pass at these frequencies. ATi Tool tends to be a bit harsh on your core speed for it detects artifacts that cannot be seen with the human eye. So as a rule of thumb you're usually good for an additional 5MHz or so on the core. I hope this helps a bit! On a different note, eVGA's are the best! Hand picked cores! Before my volt mod I reached 510/1250 ATi tool rock stable five hours plus.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ok I use ati tool and it's great. Found my highest overclock. However you have to do it right to get a stable setting. You must find max the memory while your core is overclocked to the max already without artifacts. Reason being if you find the max memory when the core is stock then apply both setiings it wont be stable and you will get artifacts. you can do them seperate but when your ready for your final overclock you must have your core at the max first. Maybey a little confusing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts