Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my setup, It looks like the answer is - no.

Test setup -
Sig Rig
Rear 120mm fan on medium.
Top 140mm fan on low.
CPU fan on full blast.

CPU & Mobo temps
Using IBT for 10 passes on high setting. Adding 2 Yate Loon mediums as front intakes only dropped my core temp by 1C. CPU, MOSFET, and NB temps were unchanged.

GPU temps
Using Furmark stability test for 5 mins. Adding the same front intakes as above dropped my gpu temps 3-4C.

The difference in GPU temps might have been significant if I weren't well below the thermal max for my card. The card stays below 75C with no front intakes, the thermal max is somewhere around 100C IIRC.

As for the hard drives? They stay below 35C with no front intakes.

Has anyone else experimented with front intakes vs none?

·
Melted Cheese
4,183 Posts
I have a 300 and I threw in 2 antec 120mm tri cool fans in the front as they were left over from my last computer. It did drop my temps on my card and cpu by a few degrees and the fans are on medium while I can keep my cpu fan on low. I say the more fans the better. Also it is quieter with all the fans on medium than just the 2 that come with it on high and it cool better.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I don't have any intake fans, just two Noctua's in the rear/top in place of those crappy TriCool's. Didn't notice any difference in temps with an intake, so I took the intake fan out and put it on my CPU cooler (it's quieter than the stock fan).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts