Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

can this cooler be really quiet? I'm thinking about getting one but replacing the fan with a noctua. The issue becomes the pump noise. I've never had an all in one water solution before.

Anyone know if this can be made to be super quiet? Thanks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't know of any ways to make the pump quieter than it is from the factory, but the one I've had for about a year now is still silent. The only time it ever makes noise is when it firsts turns on after being installed (moving some bubbles through the loop). Other than that it's dead silent. I'd highly recommend it if you're aiming for a modest overclock. It kept my 2500K under 70C (23.33C ambient) all the way up to 4.5GHz with P+P Cougar CF-V12H fans.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Thanks, if the pump is silent after it bleeds it should fit the bill. I can always change the fans, but are the fans it comes with quiet on silent mode?
I actually never used the stock fans so I can't answer on that.

If you're aiming for silence then I recommend the Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans. I put a pair of them on my 620 when I put it in another rig and they are 100% inaudible from anything more than a foot away, even at max speed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so it arrived, plugged it in...

the pump is making a loud buzzing noise, can hear it from like 5 metres away. I've shaken it around (pump and rad) and the pump is currently lying on a flat surface (parallel to the ground) with the logo on the top side up.

Would that sound go away if I just leave it running for a while? I've had custom loops before but this sound sounds more than just air bubbles trapped. Please help! I can best describe the sound as the compressor on a fridge noise. It also sounds alot like the intel stock cooler at max speed.

I plugged it in to the mobo header and at full blast, it reported to the bios an rpm of almost 1500rpm, is that normal? Or should i plug it into a 3 pin fan header on the mobo. Either way (tried both) the noise is still there. I'm just confused what rpm it should be running at. If I use a voltage reduction cable i can reduce the noise, but i'm not sure if the pump works sufficiently at say, 5 or 7v as it would at full blast. I really hope I can fix this, because it would be perfect once I use a noctua fan on it, but atm the pump noise makes it not usable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts