Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this fold? I got most of the parts but haven't bought everything yet.

3x Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
Gigabyte Z270P-D3
Celeron G3930
Antec VSK4000E-U3
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550W

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(Reserved for photos etc)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Yes but I would up that power supply.

·
Gamer
1,243 Posts
Can this fold? I got most of the parts but haven't bought everything yet.

3x Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
Gigabyte Z270P-D3
Celeron G3930
Antec VSK4000E-U3
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550W
Subbed, I am interested in building a dedicated folding rig. I see you're using a celeron. Can that handle using the 3 pcie slots? How does that affect performance?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Subbed, I am interested in building a dedicated folding rig. I see you're using a celeron. Can that handle using the 3 pcie slots? How does that affect performance?
Folding does not use a lot of CPU. Unless CPU folding.Biggest draw back would be the pci-e bandwidth. The slower it is the less ppd out of each card.This is under the thinking of getting the most ppd.Just do gpu folding and it will work.Power supply is just not big enough to handle those three cards.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will look into the PSU. Was under the impression that higher quality power supplies are capable of handling the full rated power continuously for an extended period of time. Also, probably will be power-limiting the middle card and maybe the top card to keep thermals under control.
How much bandwidth are we talking? It looks like the top slot has x16 lanes directly to the CPU, while the middle and bottom slots will have to share x4 lanes through the chipset.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
anything less than x4 pci-e 3.0 will lose ppd, id also recommend not stacking cards like that, its going to be a losing battle managing the heat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is pcie bandwidth usage continuous or bursty? What if I set 50% power limit?

Anyway, a little bit of case modding:

Attachments

·
Graphics Junkie
2,500 Posts
Will look into the PSU. Was under the impression that higher quality power supplies are capable of handling the full rated power continuously for an extended period of time. Also, probably will be power-limiting the middle card and maybe the top card to keep thermals under control.
How much bandwidth are we talking? It looks like the top slot has x16 lanes directly to the CPU, while the middle and bottom slots will have to share x4 lanes through the chipset.
Even if this were true, which it's not, you would still need more than 550w for 3 1070s. You would need more than 550w for two 1070s

·
Gamer
1,243 Posts
Is pcie bandwidth usage continuous or bursty? What if I set 50% power limit?

Anyway, a little bit of case modding:
What is your goal with cutting out the bottom? Cooling for the bottom card?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might use an EVGA Supernova 850 G2 instead.

What is your goal with cutting out the bottom? Cooling for the bottom card?
Yes, that's one important reason. Also because that's the only way the card would even fit. Cases with 8+ slots not blocked by anything are too expensive/hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Dude, just do like I did when I went with a mining farm a few years ago. Grab a set of cheap Walmart metal shelves from the hardware section ($19.99), and zip tie your GPU's underneath the shelf. Was able to put 24 cards on one shelf that way (4 rigs total, one per shelf with 6 cards per rig). That's the cheapest and most viable way you'll have your folding rig setup, and NOT kill any hardware from overheating in the process. Use some PCIe risers to get the cards away from the motherboard too, so they can be spaced out better.

Otherwise its a solid idea, and something I've been debating on re purposing my RX580's for.

EDIT:
And yes, you definitely need a bigger PSU. 850w will be enough if you cut some power usage off of the cards some (undervolt / turn power management down to 50% / whatever). But 550w, that won't be enough for even 2 cards at stock. The wattage is fine (if adjusting power management down), but you'll be drawing too much amperage off too few of wires. The wires will melt.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cheap risers are unreliable. I don't want to deal with randomly failed work units because of interference picked up by a riser.
The good risers are shielded, impedance-matched, and expensive.
A lot of extra cost and work for diminishing returns. Might as well water cool but then either option would cost almost as much as the cards.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
The cheap risers are unreliable. I don't want to deal with randomly failed work units because of interference picked up by a riser.
The good risers are shielded, impedance-matched, and expensive.
A lot of extra cost and work for diminishing returns. Might as well water cool but then either option would cost almost as much as the cards.
You can shield the cheap ones with foil too......

Either way, you'll want those cards spaced out more than what your board will allow. Otherwise you will end up having overheating problems, I can almost promise that. I tried running 3 way Crossfire (and mining) back in the day on 3x 7970's, and heat was ALWAYS a problem with it all setup in an actual case. Even going 2 way with RX 580's was too much heat. Having them spaced out, open on a rack, the cards were loading at 60*C on stock air coolers though....24 of them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry no update. Had to go out to stock up on essentials.
Was very disappointed by the long lines and crowds of people ignoring distancing and leaving their nose out or even lowering their entire mask under their chin.
Even as the numbers go back up it seems some people are just not taking it seriously anymore.

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: Avacado

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
Was very disappointed by the long lines and crowds of people ignoring distancing and leaving their nose out or even lowering their entire mask under their chin.
Even as the numbers go back up it seems some people are just not taking it seriously anymore.
Priceless.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Transplanted the PSU.
Took quite a while to get the other rig apart. Made sure to get all the modular cables. They were threaded through various holes, tied down under the motherboard etc.
Don't be like those people who burnt their rigs thinking the modular cables were interchangeable (they’re not, and even the same brand could have different pinouts).

Attachments

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
because its too far removed and too impudent for anyone to notice it anymore, the wearing it wrong thing really does piss me off though. I get it if you're off by yourself, otherwise. buckle up buttercup. find one that works for you, and wear it if the store / food place / bar requires it. (you're a moron if you're going to a bar during a pandemic)

everyone needs to submit for antibody testing ASAP so we can prove pack immunity is working & finally start getting back to normal.

Calling it now - Every flu season will now be blown up as an epidemic. It's something almost everyone suffers from yearly! What a great way to further wiggle into our lives.

(- someone who's been wearing a mask when sick/in public during flu season for years and likely had covid in early February. Pending antibody results now.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts