1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have two displays that I'm thinking about consolidating into one:

Dell 2405 LCD Monitor - Used for PC games
Samsung LN32B640 LCD TV - Used for console games

The Samsung TV scales 720p extremely well and 1080p looks absolutely gorgeous. My Dell works great for PC games but has a HORRIBLE scaler.

Is there any PC monitor that can scale 720p (and 480p) as good as or better than the Samsung LN32B640 (or any other medium to high end TV)?

Ideally I'd like a 24" or 30" display with a 1080p native size (those 30" with 2560 x 1600 native resolutions are too hard to drive with a video card for PC games).

Should I just use my Samsung as my PC monitor? Is it better than the Dell?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Right now I have two displays that I'm thinking about consolidating into one:

Dell 2405 LCD Monitor - Used for PC games
Samsung LN32B640 LCD TV - Used for console games

The Samsung TV scales 720p extremely well and 1080p looks absolutely gorgeous. My Dell works great for PC games but has a HORRIBLE scaler.

Is there any PC monitor that can scale 720p (and 480p) as good as or better than the Samsung LN32B640 (or any other medium to high end TV)?

Ideally I'd like a 24" or 30" display with a 1080p native size (those 30" with 2560 x 1600 native resolutions are too hard to drive with a video card for PC games).

Should I just use my Samsung as my PC monitor? Is it better than the Dell?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
It's not the monitor that scales the image but the computer. In video use better decoders such as EVR in Media Player Classic to enhance quality by using the GPU. In games use more anti-aliasing. TVs use built-in hardware scalers. The better the scaler chip the better the image will look when scaled.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I think what you are asking is for a 1080p monitor that also makes 720p look good. Well, that all comes down to DPI (dots or pixels per inch).

At the same resolution, the smaller the monitor, the higher DPI. So in essence, the smallest 1080p monitor you can find will output 720p the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts