Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 3090 FE that had pretty bad coil whine that eventually never went away. There's a lot of complaints about 3090 FE coil whine but not much discussion about cards that don't actually have coil whine. Are there owners out there with the 3090 FE WITHOUT any coil whine?

The case muffles the buzzing a lot but I'm thinking about going with an open air case. I'm considering trying to pick up another 3090 FE to see if it's any better.

1,150 Posts
Everyone has different sensitivity to noises like that so you are not going to get any reliable info on whether a certain card/model whines or not. But generally all cards do, especially high-end high power ones.

The easiest way to get around that is to simply keep your PC out of your room, but using very enclosed case kept at least 2 meters away from you, significantly below ear level and with the side and the back pointing away from you will just barely be enough if whine is not too insane. Open air case is absolutely out of question unless someone is deaf to noises of this type, which seems to be most people, that is why manufacturers don't give a damn

·
Iconoclast
31,126 Posts
Coil whine can vary considerably from sample to sample, so just because someone has a sample that has little coil whine doesn't mean that trend will hold if you grab one. Trying to get a specific model in this market is also a major chore.

About the only way a part could be certain to have negligible whine is if the chokes are encapsulated. I don't know of any modern GPU models where this is done, so you're mostly left with luck of the draw. I'll encapsulate the chokes on particularly noisy cards, that I otherwise want to keep, myself, but this almost certainly voids their warranty. It also has mixed success depending on how well sealed the chokes are in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my 3090 FE replaced by NVIDIA due to coil wine. The new one is not free of it, but noticeable quieter.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my 3090 FE replaced by NVIDIA due to coil wine. The new one is not free of it, but noticeable quieter.
What was the RMA process? Did they have stock and a quick turnaround?

Every 3090FE that I've heard about has coilwhine. Is it unavoidable with this version?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why does everyone who doesn't have a 3090 FE seem to have a strong opinion, not adding anything useful to the discussion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was very disappointed by my 3090 Founders Edition. The coil whine was unbearable while still inside a case. I'm looking to build an open air build and I'm looking to see if there's any point in targeting an FE card. The FE seems to be notorious for being bad for coil whine, but most complaints appear to be from 2020, as was my card as well.

Fixing coil whine is as simple as changing up some components and different manufacturing processes. Some 3090 models have very bad coil whine, other models are much better. Some owners even claim that their 3090 don't have any noise at all. I just haven't seen any FE owners make that claim.

I'm literally just trying to see if ANY 3090 Founders Editions were okay on noise or if the entire line is just bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my 3090 FE since November last year and it has no coil whine at all. Even with the side of the case off at at 2-3 feet distance it's dead silent other than once the fans start spinning up. The other machine herr has a 3060 Ti FE and that too is completely free from any coil whine.

Had a few GPUs in the past with coil whine to varying degress, but our 30 series cards have been excellent this time. Guess I'm one of the lucky one this time out.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had my 3090 FE since November last year and it has no coil whine at all. Even with the side of the case off at at 2-3 feet distance it's dead silent other than once the fans start spinning up. The other machine herr has a 3060 Ti FE and that too is completely free from any coil whine.

Had a few GPUs in the past with coil whine to varying degress, but our 30 series cards have been excellent this time. Guess I'm one of the lucky one this time out.
Great!
What about unique situations with very high FPS such as during loading screens?

Looks like there might still be some hope to get a good quiet 3090 FE.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Turn of vsync😂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts