Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death and no intent to flame or troll here.
I'm an old school guy who used to use AMD 'back in the day' and want to build another AMD PC.
I can get a Phenom II x4 965 BE and Asus Sabertooth 990FX for $275 at Microcenter today. I'm currently running an i7 2600K rig which is great but not without it's problems.
Anyway on the plus side I for one like the AMD socket, the nice fat chips with the pins and the ease with which you just gently set the chip in the socket, pull the lever down and you know the chip is in there correctly.
Not so with the Intel socket. I mean it's not rocket science setting the chip in the socket but the amount of force required to pull down and lock the lever has never seemed right to me.
Look I know the Sandy's will blow away the Phenom's but the Sabertooth 990FX is one fine looking board and has everything I need.
Is speed the only thing to consider when choosing a system ? personally I think not.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Its about price/performance as said above. At this moment, 2500k will blow any Phenom even its 1100T, it will be blown by 2500k. And price difference isn't that big.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would say by all means AMD but seeing as you have a 2600k unless you were getting an x6 and overclocking it or going AM3+ with bulldozer there really is no reason to switch. your i7 would easily beat an x4 unless were talking about some crazy overclocks. now a x6 can keep up with the 2600k, but the FX8000s flat out beat the 2600k and the 980x. so just saying FX8150 + sabertooth 990FX would be quite a powerful machine. Also the AM3/3+ socket has its disadvantages as well mainly about 940 little pins that can easily get bent.

·
Registered
151 Posts
oh man.. que the fanboys! (from both camps)

i personally dont like intel because of the giant monopoly they have, the unfair competition they impose, what they've done to employs, and the antitrust laws they've broken :/

i like to compare intel users to apple users, very snarky attitudes..
EDIT: im not saying all users of a certain vendor are this way! its just,
i see it alot.. there are plenty sensible intelligent people who use both, and give good advice.
take most of those ^^ comments for example.
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfuqinp;15189746
oh man.. que the fanboys! (from both camps)

i personally dont like intel because of the giant monopoly they have, the unfair competition they impose, what they've done to employs, and the antitrust laws they've broken :/

i like to compare intel users to apple users, very snarky attitudes..
Thats all well and good, but theres some of us who dont live in the stone age
rolleyes.gif
You can keep your athlon
wink.gif

Its comments like yours that cause all the trouble! you go on about fan boys then leave an idiotic fan boy comment at the end of your post, Grow up and get out!

·
Premium Member
14,362 Posts
Price is generally cheaper for AMD systems. Another thing to consider is that AMD's sockets generally stay the same for much longer than Intel. This means you can usually upgrade your CPU two generations down the line without needing to buy all new components.

Both have their advantages and there are fans on both sides. Having used both myself (and owning both right now) I don't think there is much real world difference in day to day usage for an average consumer.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
AMD use to be best bang for buck but the 2500K has ended that run.

I'd say AMD does still own the best budget gaming build with an Athlonx4 and mid range MB.

For just gaming AMD can be cheaper and still net you acceptable results. The 2500k setup is the best value on the market right now though.

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnb0iek;15189713
As an owner of both AMD and Intel, I think it all depends on what you'll be using your system for. As long as it's sufficient for your use, can't go wrong either way.
This. They're both good depending on what you need
smile.gif

·
Registered
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman;15189612
I'm currently running an i7 2600K rig which is great but not without it's problems.
Dunno what problems you are having, but I haven't had a single one out of my CPU or accessories. I've only had 2 problems from my SSD, but that has nothing to do with Intel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman;15189612
Anyway on the plus side I for one like the AMD socket, the nice fat chips with the pins and the ease with which you just gently set the chip in the socket, pull the lever down and you know the chip is in there correctly.
Not so with the Intel socket. I mean it's not rocket science setting the chip in the socket but the amount of force required to pull down and lock the lever has never seemed right to me.
Mine also required a lot of force. But that's not a factor in determining a CPU for me.

It sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to buy AMD. So go buy AMD. If you're wanting to have a valid reason why AMD > 2600k you aren't going to find a good one right now.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;15189777
rolleyes.gif
You can keep your athlon
wink.gif

Its comments like yours that cause all the trouble! you go on about fan boys then leave an idiotic fan boy comment at the end of your post, Grow up and get out!
Hey, my Athlon can handle most processes fine! It's just rendering that is horrendously slow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;15189777
rolleyes.gif
You can keep your athlon
wink.gif

supper cool story bro!
thumb.gif

i should go buy a high end system so i can show everyone how big my epeen is!

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP1;15189744
I would say by all means AMD but seeing as you have a 2600k unless you were getting an x6 and overclocking it or going AM3+ with bulldozer there really is no reason to switch. your i7 would easily beat an x4 unless were talking about some crazy overclocks. now a x6 can keep up with the 2600k, but the FX8000s flat out beat the 2600k and the 980x. so just saying FX8150 + sabertooth 990FX would be quite a powerful machine. Also the AM3/3+ socket has its disadvantages as well mainly about 940 little pins that can easily get bent.
Sadly seeing as the i3 keeps up with the 1100T, see link, So you are mistaken. The only thing the 1100T beats the i3 at is processes that benefit from more cores. For games, the i3 comes out slightly on top.

Now the i5-2500k and the 1100T has no comparison. I love AMD, which is why it is in my sig rig but right now Intel owns as far as performance goes.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;15189976
kookoo.gif

No you should shut your mouth and stop causing trouble
wink.gif
This. And I think he is a bit mad on Sandy Bridge users, I would call him jealous.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.