Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
If you didn't know, I am a sophomore in electrical and computer engineering at Marquette U. I was just wondering if we had any people here that worked for these companies, as I really feel called to work in consumer electronics. My dream is essentially to work for a major manufacturer of performance PC products. Anyhow, I have been looking into the internship/Co-op programs at Nvidia (ATI doesn't seem to have much right now in that department) and I was wondering if there was anyone I could personally speak to. I know its a long shot but I figure it is worth a try. Thanks everyone!

P.S. -- I am hoping to keep this thread up on the list for a while so bump for support! Thanks!
 

·
I TeK things...
Joined
·
17,448 Posts
yeah not to hijack this but fill us in what goes on in the inside.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that really sucks. Its pretty much impossible to get in contact with anyone from those companies =(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by killnine

Well that really sucks. Its pretty much impossible to get in contact with anyone from those companies =(

Usually in Electrical Engineering, certain schools will have a major advantage of getting internships/job offerings for a company. The reason behind this being that companies often fund research and give grants to the college in return for research and/or curriculum catered to them. For example, when I was a Senior at WSU, we were doing low voltage research for Motorola at the time. Obviously, they wanted us to come to work for them because we were the ones actually working on their research and would be a better choice than a student from a school that had no experience with their products. (or soon to be products) I'm pretty sure Nvidia has schools working on design issues for them and they attend their school fairs digging for engineers that worked on their research. I'd try to find out which schools they're working with and try to attend their job fair. It's all about getting your foot in the door. As a graduating engineer, you're of little use to them except they know you have the ability and background to handle advanced science. You'll begin mastering 2% of what you learned and will never use the other 98%, but that other 98% is background knowledge that would be used if you ever switched fields/companies. You're basically a piece of clay that they know they can mold. That's why having a Master's in Engineering actually makes it a little harder to find a job. They know they have to pay you more as a starting salary, but you're no more useful to them yet than a bachy
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: killnine and Jazino

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sccr and Bluecow, thanks so much for the input. Yeah, I would probably work at those two companies for free just for the experience. I have really been perusing my schools library for all kinds of information on basic devices. I think I could be happy working for just about any company that deals with controls or power systems but I am really PASSIONATE about computers. Thanks agian so much for the links and advice.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top