Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there's any benefit to having a 16000 DPI sensor on a mouse if you're using less than that. I use between 600 and 1800. Is it just a marketing thing with big numbers?

·
780 TI, Superclocker
95 Posts
Yes and no on the marketing part. Some extreme gamers or people with huge monitors can use that DPI. But there's no benefit for you except for higher dpi possibility, at least in my eyes. But mice with higher DPI usually look nicer, that i've seen, and they really don't have that big of a price difference between high and low DPI.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It's usually not just the DPI, it's the whole sensor. Better sensors have higher DPI too. Everything comes to play. Best way is to do a comparison between two. It's showing what the sensor is capable of.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
it's more important to look at the sensor (traits) and the mouse/firmware, rather than the cpi.
there are sensors with low cpi that are rather accurate, while there are also sensors with high cpi that are not so accurate.
some mice have a decent or even good sensor, but bad firmware that impacts performance negatively.
but more factors come into play, like mousing surface, subjectivity(!), what you plan on doing with the mouse, etc.

some high cpi mice are arguably terrible, while other mice with high cpi are fantastic. the same can be said for mice with lower cpi.
i think most here would say that things like shape and texture are more important than whether or not the sensor is super-duper-amazing (as long as the sensor isn't outright atrocious). but of course, everyone has different standards when it comes to what is atrocious..

if you plan on buying a mouse for anything that benefits from more precision, i suggest you do (at least a little bit of) your homework.

TLDR, if you really wanna know the answer then i'd say you have some reading to do, but imo the simple answer is yes; high cpi tends to hint towards a capable sensor that's more accurate than sensors with low cpi.

·
Mehehe!
2,775 Posts
Sensor's raw performance is more important: malfunction speed, responsiveness, accuracy, ... with the more widespread usage of the 3360 sensor nowadays I'd say just buy a 3360 mouse with a shape you prefer, fiddle with it until you find a DPI / sens you like and call it a day.

And honestly 16K DPI i overkill. Though if you ask us in 10 years from now when we have 16K or 32K res monitors our opinion might change :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sensor's raw performance is more important: malfunction speed, responsiveness, accuracy, ... with the more widespread usage of the 3360 sensor nowadays I'd say just buy a 3360 mouse with a shape you prefer, fiddle with it until you find a DPI / sens you like and call it a day.

And honestly 16K DPI i overkill. Though if you ask us in 10 years from now when we have 16K or 32K res monitors our opinion might change :D
I hope in 10 years we dont need mice ....
wheres my holodeck?

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
I use 800-1600 DPI on my Logitech G502 (3366 sensor) and feel like that's enough for a 3440x1440 + 2560x1440 setup. Anything higher is pretty overkill and unusable for me.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Good to know. I didn't want to be comparing mice and think "This is 16000 DPI so it must be better than this 6000 DPI mouse", etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts