Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your maximum budget? $800

What country are you in? US

What will be the uses of this laptop? Mostly it'll be used for school/work, which isn't all that demanding, however what I'm really looking for is something that can game when I travel. I don't need to game on max settings with AA turned all the way up, that's what my sig rig is for. But I'd like to be able to play the current games I have (for example, ME2 and Starcraft II) and upcoming ones (SWTOR) at the best settings possible for my budget. I'd say my priorities are
1. gpu
2. processor
3. RAM
4. HDD

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? I'd trust something like ASUS or MSI more than Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc but if the specs are right for the price, I'm not opposed to another brand.

What screen size do you require? Ideally I'd like it to be in the 15" range but I'm certainly not opposed to going either larger or smaller if the hardware is right for the price.

What screen resolution do you require? Not too picky on this one. Perfectly willing to sacrifice this for better proc/gpu.

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay? Preferably new, but again, if I can get a refurb with the right hardware for the price, I'm not opposed.

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet) Doesn't matter, it'll be plugged in almost all the time.

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings?
Mostly SWTOR, but also things like Mass Effect 2/3, DAO, Civ V, Starcraft II. Settings: I don't need ultra but at least medium would be nice. I'd like to be able to play things on low settings in 3 years (when I plan on upgrading again) with acceptable fps.

What operating system do you need? (if any) Windows 7.

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.)
Gaming

How much hard drive space do you need? Not too important, but at least a couple hundred gb. Speed is more important, at least 7200 RPM. I think a SSD is out of my budget with my other requirements.

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.) No.

Is there anything else we need to know?
This is the laptop I'm currently looking at: MSI GX740-434US. It has pretty much everything I'm looking for at the right price. I currently have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron E1705 that's showing it's age (that's euphemism for falling apart) so almost anything would be better than that. The MSI has a 17" screen at a resolution of 1440x900, which is exactly what my Dell has, and I'm completely ok with that res as long as it games fine, which I don't think will be the problem with a Mobility 5870. I just have this feeling that as soon as I hit order I'll find something better. Any help?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Other than when those ASUS G73's with the i7 2630qm and GTX 460m hit openbox. There really is nothing close to being a gaming beast in that price range. Even when they do hit open box, it lasts only for a few minutes so...That MSI is a great bargain, I'd get it if I had the money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd say go for it! at least it's new! the refurbished = higher chances of failure!

the only reason that I hesitated is the boring look, not to mention that I needed a better GPU and was planning for something tough as 6970M!

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's a good find for a budget gaming lappy.New? wow! Avoid the 460m gpu...the 5870 is a better card. The only other choice would be a used/refurbished Asus g73jh-x1. Ebay $800-$900. Better screen, processor, more ram and back lit keyboard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.