Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE

Well have a look below at my system specs, if any body has any idea's for improvments apart from graphics card plz tell me

You can improve your CPU cooling and I would also recommend moving up to PC4000 RAM which enables higher overclocking ability.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

i thought i could only get that ram if i had a ddr2 compatible board

I do not have DDR2, but was advised by one of the moderaters in here(I forget which one) that PC4000 would work in my mobo which lists up to PC3200.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

oh goody

Right now I am saving up for a few improvments, the biggest are Watercooling, and Getting 4*1Gb PC4000 Dual Channel DDR SDRAM, BUt as you can imagine the RAM will cost a small fortune.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would say that your should get a better Vid card cause that thing is like the worst thing you can have besides mine, if your a gamer it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
If I were you, I would definately get two 512mb sticks of ram(total, one gigabyte). You don't really need PC4000 with your cpu, as I highly doubt it will reach 250fsb. I would go with some PC3700, should be a little cheaper. Then I would get a different heatsink and oc the heck out of that mother. Other than that, looking good.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Dont buy the PC4000 ram until you are sure your motherboard can handle 200+ FSB.

Now, if it is capable of 200+, then by all means, buy the fast stuff!

Cooling is always a good upgrade, and I second the 9800 or 5900XT suggestion...HUGE difference in graphics.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Can u tell me if the gigabyte ga- 8ik1100 can support pc4000

With what was explained to me about my mobo which uses PC3200 being able to use pc4000, I would guess that your mobo can do the same.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

With what was explained to me about my mobo which uses PC3200 being able to use pc4000, I would guess that your mobo can do the same.

Exactly. When ram is labeled PC3700, PC4000, etc, it just means that the ram is able to run at those speeds. It can run at any speed up to and including it's rated speed. It doesnt matter which mobo, as long as it supports DDR ram it will support any speed of said ram.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lostnhell

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Exactly. When ram is labeled PC3700, PC4000, etc, it just means that the ram is able to run at those speeds. It can run at any speed up to and including it's rated speed. It doesnt matter which mobo, as long as it supports DDR ram it will support any speed of said ram.

Here is a silly question.
I have to install Windows 98 on a machine that is 266Mhz and 32MB of PC66 RAM. Would it be possible for me to temperarily install my PC2100 in that machine to give some extra speed for the install?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Here is a silly question.
I have to install Windows 98 on a machine that is 266Mhz and 32MB of PC66 RAM. Would it be possible for me to temperarily install my PC2100 in that machine to give some extra speed for the install?

Doubt that, the PC66? is probably SD, not DDR and is the crappy RAM, ie. not 184 pin but the older stuff, which I can't remember how many pins it has.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

Doubt that, the PC66? is probably SD, not DDR and is the crappy RAM, ie. not 184 pin but the older stuff, which I can't remember how many pins it has.

Thank you for making me think of it, it is 168pin DIMM RAM there is no way it will work. Now I will have the great pleasure of having to find some PC66 for that computer and some PC133 so another co-worker's computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts