Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soon going to be ordering a replacement motherboard for my rig that died a couple of months ago (I want to get back in the game, you know?). However, I want to avoid another expensive door stop purchase, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this motherboard? I'm not terribly familiar with MSI either, so if anyone could tell me how they are, that would be great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

·
Riding on the edge
3,261 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I need a mATX board with two PCI-e slots not right next to each other, AM3, and at least 8GBs of RAM supported for under $150 including shipping. If someone can find a board that matches said description, great.

Not looking to overclock with this board.

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
Yeah, I just swapped out my MSI 770 because of all the bad rep I've read lately. MSI makes a good board imo, but they aren't made for overclocking. If youre sticking with stock everything then it would probably be just fine.
I've built 4 different systems with MSI boards and they are all great. Just don't plan on doing any OCing with them.
Like I said I just ditched my MSI 770 with the ASUS M4A89GTD cause i wanted to OC.

Check out "Dromihetes" signature. He doesn't like that MSI board. But like you said you won't OC so it'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It's fine for overclocking on an x4 C3 stepping. I've been running that same board since July of last year. DO NOT put a Thuban on it under any circumstances period. Only one failure (that I've been able to find) on the net had a x4 Phenom II, and there's no evidence that he wasn't doing something stupid.

What I will note is, overclocking wise. This one is pretty weak compared to the Asus I had before. Can't get over 2640 Mhz on the NB, nor 2200 Mhz FSB.

Some things to note, make sure the VRM heatsink is tightened down. I suspect some of them have not been making good contact and that is a source of some of the problems. For day to day usage, just make sure of that and your good. I've been running this cpu like this for quite some time...

Whoops, just noticed I forgot to reset my Vcore to normal from playing around last night w/ benchmarks.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so for simple overclocking it will be alright, and as I'm likely not going to overclock for the time being, I shouldn't worry?

My last board died on me in under a month and they didn't have any kind of warranty on it, asking me to pay for shipping AND the replacement board. I don't want to repeat that experience.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

Ok, so for simple overclocking it will be alright, and as I'm likely not going to overclock for the time being, I shouldn't worry?

My last board died on me in under a month and they didn't have any kind of warranty on it, asking me to pay for shipping AND the replacement board. I don't want to repeat that experience.

What cpu are you planning on using with it? That's the most important question here. As noted, as long as you stay with an x4 or less cores, with 125w or less tdp on the cpu. You will be fine. Stay away from 140v (C2 stepping x4's), and even 125W x6 Thuban's is all you need to remember.

Now, I will state that I wouldn't run this board on the bulldozer (unless like xD 1771 said in another thread it's a 95W version) As for the dud you had, it happens to everyone once in a while. Such is the nature of electronics, especially when shipped.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I doubt I'll ever even hit a hex core processor, although I would want to. That is possibly a deal breaker...

But otherwise, I only have a dual core to stick in there right now, and I want to use dual video cards in the near future (hence the two PCI-e slot requirement).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Then I'd suggest you wait until the 900 series boards are available and get one with a better 8+1/2 phase vrm array. If you have any inkling that you may want a Thuban later or a high power Zambezi this board isn't a good idea. There really aren't any choices in mATX form factor boards with anything greater than a 4+1 vrm, which is demonstrably a very bad idea.

It's either that, or your pretty much stuck getting a full ATX mb which are the only ones that currently have a 8+1/2 vrm. You could do what I'm doing, using it until it's time to upgrade, then sell it complete in whatever it's current config is.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been with only a netbook for a couple of months. I'm done waiting.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Ok, here is my speel:

I am a believer that MSI 4+1 design is PERFeCTLY fine for X4 or lower processors. BUT, an x6 is instant trouble.

As long as you aren't going crazy with the volts, the MSI motherboard should be fine.

My evidence to support this:

1. only 1 failure has ever been confirmed on an X4 or lower

2. Many boards do not support X6 processors, but they do support 140w X4. This would lead me to believe that the X6's draw power differently. In their rush to be in with the 890 Chipset, MSI didn't redesign their VRM's for the X6, and are still using the older VRM's made for X4.

TL;DR: don't use X6 in the 890GXM-G65, and you should be fine

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I guess the world wont end if I can't use anything better then a quad. I really hope this board doesn't fail on me like my last one...

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
what board / what happened?

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
yes

Sometimes they have half decent stuff.

·
Registered
798 Posts
okay take a deep breath and Stay FAR AWAY from MSI Board for AMD....there only good to make Pc Camp fire....Js. anyways if u want a good replacement, look for something with alot of powerphases and Quality material

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131668

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

there all 8+2 Phase motherboards in the ~110$ range from asus. there all good, they have varying degrees of features but they will all run well and overclock well.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
none of those are uATX (requirement of the OP)

If you can show me a trend with MSI 4 phase boards dying on non-X6 processors, i will reverse my position. until then it stands.

The 790FX-GD70 overclocks wonderfully on x4's, but fails hard with X6. There has only been 1 reported case of a GD70 dying on someone with an X4

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First of all, I don't live in Canada. Second of all, those are ATX, I need mATX. Third, I've already ordered the part.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRK;13068038
First of all, I don't live in Canada. Second of all, those are ATX, I need mATX. Third, I've already ordered the part.
probably should edit the OP then.

otherwise people like that are just gonna keep coming in your thread like that

1 - 20 of 41 Posts