Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have and amd k6 3d processor on a microstar ali motherboard, the processor speed is 501 mhz and i am trying to double it, i understand that there is a risk of damaging the computer but i still wanna go ahead if possible, i need to know which jumpers to swicth around so any help at all will be highly appreciated....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3
to start off with...is it custom built or package built (eg dell, compaq) because package built computers CANNOT be overclocked.
if it is custom built then start by reading this..
http://www.overclock.net/overclock.p...king-guide.htm

if you are still confused then post back.
The computer was package built by time and originally running on win 98 but i have upgraded it to xp with 256mb ram, can it be over clocked because it has some switches on the mother board that cinfigures the cpu speed/voltage or wotever it may be

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dymes
The computer was package built by time and originally running on win 98 but i have upgraded it to xp with 256mb ram, can it be over clocked because it has some switches on the mother board that cinfigures the cpu speed/voltage or wotever it may be

package built computers bulit computer can be a nightmare to OC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotishhaggis
package built computers bulit computer can be a nightmare to OC

Yes so i have been told, mine is a package built pc by time computers and originally ran on win 98 os but i've upgraded it to win xp with 256mb ram, how comes they're a nightmare 2 oc and can it be done??

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
you MAY be able to overclock but i wont promise anything. some jumpers may be to set the cpu frequency to a certain number when moved. can you give any more details on eactley what these jumpers are called.
have you tried going into the BIOS and looking for cpu frequency. i dont suspect it will be there but there is no harm in looking.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
well 1stly download si - soft sandra and use the motherboard section to see what type of board u have.. then seach google to see if u can get a manual. in the manual there should be a jummper section just play about with them. am pesonall thinkin that u'll only be able to get about 20% push before it fires like

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotishhaggis

well 1stly download si - soft sandra and use the motherboard section to see what type of board u have.. then seach google to see if u can get a manual. in the manual there should be a jummper section just play about with them. am pesonall thinkin that u'll only be able to get about 20% push before it fires like

'Before it fires' that doesn't sound too healthy, wot happens after it 'fires' and how can i prevent it and still overclock?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dymes

'Before it fires' that doesn't sound too healthy, wot happens after it 'fires' and how can i prevent it and still overclock?

Solution = Build a new computer
You're more than likely wasting your time trying to OC a package computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts