Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 10% off coupon from newegg good for any motherboard. I was looking at maybe getting a good 775socket to screw around with and overclock. Any suggestions, the board needs to be from newegg and 775 socket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
You can get the EVGA 750i SLI FTW for $50 in their B-stock deals. I just got one and it's fantastic.

  • NVIDIA SLI certified
  • Intel socket 775
  • 45nm CPU ready (Yorkfield & Wolfdale)
  • 6 Phase power design
  • PCI Express 2.0 support
  • 4 Right-angled SATA-2 ports with support for RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, JBOD
  • On-board buttons for CMOS/Power/Reset
  • HD Audio - 7.1 Channel
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: RAFFY

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by neobloodline View Post
You can get the EVGA 750i SLI FTW for $50 in their B-stock deals. I just got one and it's fantastic.

  • NVIDIA SLI certified
  • Intel socket 775
  • 45nm CPU ready (Yorkfield & Wolfdale)
  • 6 Phase power design
  • PCI Express 2.0 support
  • 4 Right-angled SATA-2 ports with support for RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, JBOD
  • On-board buttons for CMOS/Power/Reset
  • HD Audio - 7.1 Channel
Wow I'm a tard I'm a hard core b stock fan and totally forgot about it some how
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,911 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

My vote would be for this motherboard.

2 years later and that board is still going for that much.


I see it has usb 3, but that doesn't warrant the high price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by homestyle
View Post

2 years later and that board is still going for that much.


I see it has usb 3, but that doesn't warrant the high price.

I think it's the DDR3 support as well. If I remember right, the EP45T-UD3P retails at a higher price than the EP45-UD3P, which would place this board at around the right retail price (albiet one I don't agree with either)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homestyle View Post
Even worse. If you have ddr3 anyway, might as well get the 1156 socket.
They're incompatible. DDR3 for S775 uses higher voltages than DDR3 for S1156/S1366/AM3. S775 DDR3 wouldn't function for those chipsets, and S1156etc. DDR3 would fry in S775 boards.

Besides, it's more than simply getting S1156. Changing sockets also means changing CPUs, which some people don't have the money for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopxsticks View Post
What is B stock and were does one locate it? I need to buy a 775 board for my friends QX6850
refurbished mobo's......go to evga website and look at their bstock page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d View Post
They're incompatible. DDR3 for S775 uses higher voltages than DDR3 for S1156/S1366/AM3. S775 DDR3 wouldn't function for those chipsets, and S1156etc. DDR3 would fry in S775 boards.

Besides, it's more than simply getting S1156. Changing sockets also means changing CPUs, which some people don't have the money for.
its the same ddr3, just different manufacturer voltage specs. when they first came out they were spec'd to run at 1.8+ volts and then it was determined that Intel stated 1.65 volt on memory was standard, so memory manufacturers took the same 1600 1.8 volt and sold it as 1333 1.65 volt ram. Not exactly, but you get the general idea.

the bottom line I was getting at was the person looking at this 775 board would already have ddr2 ram (like the OP) or would be getting a whole new setup...

if they had to get ram and a new board, then it would be total waste to go 775. but that is another topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I recommend the Gigabyte P45-UD3P. I had an E7200 paired with that mobo and overclocking was cake. Not sure if the egg carries it anymore, but if so I would keep that in mind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopxsticks View Post
i dont know Intel chip sets, whats a good one to look for? I will be using an ATI gpu if that matters
P45 chipset is the way to go for long-term overclocking stability. I've had bad personal experiences with the 680i/750i (same thing) chipset, but for $50 it's kind of hard to pass up. In the end it depends on how much you want to spend and how long you plan on running the system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
I don't think anything is going to replace the EP45-UD3P in popularity, trouble is, it is not available from Newegg anymore. I bought mine from Newegg less than a year ago for like 125.00 then 20.00 manufactures rebate. Now they go for 150.00+ new and there is always a spirited bidding war on ebay for used. I would not sell mine for less than 150.00 (perhaps no one would pay that either but once you get used to a board and espically the BIOS you don't want to change). Also all the colors used on the board look pretty cool.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top