Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for a small desktop that could also house a full size GPU, I am in the Army and will probably deploy next year. So I'm looking for something small enough to fit into a medium size backpack. But still powerful enough at least with a 1070. The idea will be hot, it's probably around 120F. I understand compact cases doesn't have the best cooling, so I am looking to see if anyone have any experiences with these builds as I am trying to learn and build one for myself before I leave. Thanks for your help.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,868 Posts
Just asking but why not buy an Xbox One X instead?
While its not as powerful as a PC its still pretty powerful and its small enough for a backpack and it would be cheaper then a PC

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can go for a Node 202 with low-ish tdp parts
A locked i5 or Ryzen 5 and a good 1070 and no overclocking will be fine

Or an Xbox honestly and you have change to buy a basic ultrabook
Or you can also get a gaming laptop

·
Hardware Enthusiast
167 Posts
Hello, I am looking for a small desktop that could also house a full size GPU, I am in the Army and will probably deploy next year. So I'm looking for something small enough to fit into a medium size backpack. But still powerful enough at least with a 1070. The idea will be hot, it's probably around 120F. I understand compact cases doesn't have the best cooling, so I am looking to see if anyone have any experiences with these builds as I am trying to learn and build one for myself before I leave. Thanks for your help.

Regretting not traveling with my my 250D Corsair Mini ITX build. That would suffice with an Intel CPU and liquid cooling but wouldn’t fit into a backpack; so an Xbone maybe necessary unless you want an integrated build or an EVGA Mini ITX case with liquid cooling and psu. Don’t cheap out on the cpu. Go for liquid cooled GPU if possible.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if I can't find a decent solution then I will use my PS4 which I am bringing as well. But I've always been a PC gamer and are more comfortable with mouse and keyboard. Any form of laptop is probably not gonna cut it, as I heard it throttles really bad down range.

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
Honestly, my last deployment I was fine with just a gaming laptop. I eventually got a keyboard, mouse and a 32 inch TV that I connected it to.
Having to ship a full sized PC halfway across the world (twice) can be troublesome even if it is on the smaller side.

If your time overseas will be anything like mine, you really wont have much time to really care about the benefits of a Desktop over a Laptop.

Just get a laptop fan tray to set it on and be sure to keep plenty of compressed air cans around.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
You're going to be gaming outside? Why do you need at least a GTX 1070? At which resolution do you plan on gaming?

As has been mentioned, the Node 202 is a good mITX case for what you want. Silverstone has some good cases for that use as well. I want to have a mobile gaming powerhouse inside a FTZ01B-E. That's what I plan on doing whenever I eventually upgrade.

If you're going to be in a warmer environment, you can pretty much forget about overclocking. Cooling is heavily dependent on airflow and smaller cases have a more difficult time moving air effectively to cool your components. If you're going to be outside, I would worry more about staying out of direct sunlight and keeping dust out of the case.

·
Registered
202 Posts

If you're worried about temperatures delidding is going to be your friend its going to provide a 10C advantage and in most of these compact pcs with a console style case the best option is going to be a Noctua NH-L9i sometimes you can get a hold of a liquid cooler that will fit but they might end up being problematic if your computer is going to be thrown around in transport. The third and free way to lower your temperatures is undervolting I'd recommend this on any pc.

Depending on your timeframe I'd consider modding a MSI trident 3 with a 7700k as those cpus rock over the stock i5 7400 and if you have time delidding the 7700k would be of benefit along with the noctua cooler.

Going down the custom and extreme performance route...
If you really wanted to build a super compact PC linus tech tips have demoed the a4-sfx v2 case in one of there videos and will take a full sfx power supply. The nfc s4 mini or even more compact you could build into the nfc s4 mini but you would be limited to 330w with external power bricks so overclocking would be out of the question.
As far as cpus I'd go for a 8600k its going to outperform anything else available apart from the 8700k and intels extreme cpus in rendering. The 8600k isnt a particularly hot chip until its got alot of voltage and delidded at stock frequency its not going to run hot under a Noctua NH-L9i its going to be really quiet and cool in a cramped space.

You can go for a Node 202 with low-ish tdp parts
A locked i5 or Ryzen 5 and a good 1070 and no overclocking will be fine

Or an Xbox honestly and you have change to buy a basic ultrabook
Or you can also get a gaming laptop
He's on a overclocking website doubt he wants a laptop ***** and theres no excuse to use low tdp parts just delid, tune cpu frequency and voltage and select a good compact cooler like a Noctua NH-L9i

1 - 8 of 8 Posts