Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have done a quick & amateur job, using paint, to give a reasonable guide of how I imagine my water loop to be set out.

Will basically go: Reservoir > Pump > 360mm rad > GPU > GPU > CPU > 240mm rad > Reservoir

The only bit I think I need help on, is for filling & draining the loop.

I'd like to have the top of my reservoir (Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 10LT) as the inlet for the reservoir, with the bottom where the coolant exits & continues into the pump. Can I use the reservoir in this way and still use the top of the reservoir as a fillport when I need to? Or do I need to follow "Option B" and run the tubing to the bottom of the reservoir for the inlet?

Secondly, where is the best place to install a drain port? I was thinking after the pump and before the tubing continues into the other side of the case. Or, if I use the top of the reservoir as the inlet, can I use the second G1/4" on the bottom as a drain port by simply unplugging it when required?

Thanks in advance for any help given
biggrin.gif
thumb.gif

·
Registered
226 Posts
wheres ur pump.. nevermind.. found it..lol.. looks good to me if u have the room

ony problem I see is urres is below ur rad.. gonna have a hard time filling it as gravity will fight u... maybe re position the res or elongate the fill tube above the rest of the system??

and yes if I understand u right u want the inlet to the pump to feed from the bottom of the res.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished building in the Corsair case (in my sig) and its amazing 9the case that is). I only have one graphics card but a really similar set up in terms of res placement and rads. I had no problem fighting gravity with this thing. I did put a whole directly above the res (through the case) so I could easily fill it from the top port. As for a drain port I put it at the lowest point, directly between my gpu block and the res (basically at the bottom of the case). I just used a T-Fitting and a shut of valve. I know it works to because I sprung a minor leak when leak testing and had to drain it... If your working with flexible tubing you should have an even easier time then i did.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post

wheres ur pump.. nevermind.. found it..lol.. looks good to me if u have the room

ony problem I see is urres is below ur rad.. gonna have a hard time filling it as gravity will fight u... maybe re position the res or elongate the fill tube above the rest of the system??

and yes if I understand u right u want the inlet to the pump to feed from the bottom of the res.
Glad you found the pump
tongue.gif

Do you mean that if I have the inlet of the reservoir on the bottom, I might have trouble filling the reservoir because gravity will keep pulling the water down through the bottom? So it would be better to have a reservoir with the outlet on the side of the tube, not directly on the bottom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by c12MD View Post

I just finished building in the Corsair case (in my sig) and its amazing 9the case that is). I only have one graphics card but a really similar set up in terms of res placement and rads. I had no problem fighting gravity with this thing. I did put a whole directly above the res (through the case) so I could easily fill it from the top port. As for a drain port I put it at the lowest point, directly between my gpu block and the res (basically at the bottom of the case). I just used a T-Fitting and a shut of valve. I know it works to because I sprung a minor leak when leak testing and had to drain it... If your working with flexible tubing you should have an even easier time then i did.
Just looked at your thread, very very impressive build
thumb.gif

I'm hoping to be able to use a small enough reservoir that I can use the top port as a fill port and don't need to cut any holes in the case. Can't see why I won't be able to, but see how things go.

As for the drain port, I was thinking the same, just use a T-fitting that I can block off. Keeps it simple and can hide it around the back of the case.

Will definitely be using flexible tubing, just don't think I have the patience for acrylic tubing
tongue.gif

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'd highly recommend changing your setting from Reservoir > Pump > 360mm rad > GPU > GPU > CPU > 240mm rad > Reservoir to
Reservoir > Pump > 360mm rad > GPU > GPU > 240mm rad > CPU >Reservoir

Keeps cooler liquid going towards your CPU or else you'll have the same liquid that cooled both your GPUs going directly to cool you CPU

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
His setup is fine,loop order doesn't matter,all that matters is that the res is before the pump so it doesn't run dry....The drain port should be on the lowest end of the build as possible,I would put it on the front 360 rad at the bottom.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkLord100 View Post

I'd highly recommend changing your setting from Reservoir > Pump > 360mm rad > GPU > GPU > CPU > 240mm rad > Reservoir to
Reservoir > Pump > 360mm rad > GPU > GPU > 240mm rad > CPU >Reservoir

Keeps cooler liquid going towards your CPU or else you'll have the same liquid that cooled both your GPUs going directly to cool you CPU
I have actually considered doing it that way, and will probably still try it. It seems logical to me that if you can cool the water down before going through the CPU, it will improve the CPU cooling. But I'm far from an expert!!

Only reason I have it the way I currently do is because I think it will be easier & look better from a tubing point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican Reaper View Post

His setup is fine,loop order doesn't matter,all that matters is that the res is before the pump so it doesn't run dry....The drain port should be on the lowest end of the build as possible,I would put it on the front 360 rad at the bottom.
That is the one thing I made sure of, having the pump below the reservoir. Did some measurements earlier today, and it looks like I've got about 20cm to play with in terms of fitting the reservoir & pump. So trying to aim for a 10cm long reservoir to make sure the pump is below & not next to the reservoir

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodenough88 View Post

Just looked at your thread, very very impressive build
thumb.gif

I'm hoping to be able to use a small enough reservoir that I can use the top port as a fill port and don't need to cut any holes in the case. Can't see why I won't be able to, but see how things go.

As for the drain port, I was thinking the same, just use a T-fitting that I can block off. Keeps it simple and can hide it around the back of the case.

Will definitely be using flexible tubing, just don't think I have the patience for acrylic tubing
tongue.gif
Yea I used the EK-D5 X-RES 140 but you can use the shorter X-RES 100 here and you should have plenty of room to fill it from the top without having to drill through the case. The pump mount bolts right to the back vents above the PSU without having to drill any holes. I put a piece of foam in between the pump and case also just to dampen vibrations even more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:

It seems logical to me that if you can cool the water down before going through the CPU, it will improve the CPU cooling.
It's logical if you imagine the water flowing very slowly through the water blocks, but doesn't goes on this way on real world because the water flows very quickly and you have no big time to have it significantly heated up. It's a major consensus, loop order doesn't matter at all, trust , the water temperatures just varies about 2ºC at maximum inside your entire loop... The best way you can set your loop is the way it uses the less tubing possible (making sure the reservoir is right above the pump). The shorter, the better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Bezerra View Post

It's logical if you imagine the water flowing very slowly through the water blocks, but doesn't goes on this way on real world because the water flows very quickly and you have no big time to have it significantly heated up. It's a major consensus, loop order doesn't matter at all, trust , the water temperatures just varies about 2ºC at maximum inside your entire loop... The best way you can set your loop is the way it uses the less tubing possible (making sure the reservoir is right above the pump). The shorter, the better.
That also makes sense regarding how quickly the water should be getting through the loop. I was definitely aiming for as little tubing as possible, so will try to keep that as true as possible.

Is there any issue with moving the pump down to the bottom left of the case? I'm not sure if I'll have enough room to put the pump & reservoir in next to each other and have it to my liking? So was considering moving the pump to the bottom left. Only issue should be the routing of the PSU cables, but I think that can be organised.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:

That also makes sense regarding how quickly the water should be getting through the loop. I was definitely aiming for as little tubing as possible, so will try to keep that as true as possible.

Is there any issue with moving the pump down to the bottom left of the case? I'm not sure if I'll have enough room to put the pump & reservoir in next to each other and have it to my liking? So was considering moving the pump to the bottom left. Only issue should be the routing of the PSU cables, but I think that can be organised.

I see no problem there once you would be able to have the pump always fed when filling. Something I would try to change is the T-Piece position, because having it at the lowest point possible is good for bleeding ease. In your drawings, however, it's at the middle height of the loop, which I think would make maintenance a little slower, but nothing to worry
rolleyes.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts