Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 & a Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming motherboard with a 16gb kit of Gskill Ripjaws V ddr4 3600CL18 dual channel memory kit and was wondering what is the sweet spot of memory speed for this cpu? I also have a Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 TOMAHAWK Max motherboard that I've been using but couldn't pass up this "to good to be true" deal from a buddy of mine. So anyways, should I stick with the r7 2700 or go with this r5 3600 & b550 mobo? I'm not to familiar with these different gens of ryzen. Thanks for your time

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
For a Ryzen 5 3600 the best RAM speed is 3600 MHz faster than that and you get very diminishing returns
And yes the 3600 is going to be better than the 2700 even if it has 2 cores less

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I'm not a heavy pc user, meaning using all the cores. But I was wondering about my graphics card would be a bottleneck being a Asus TUF 3X GTX1660 SUPER.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,972 Posts
Seems like a side grade, unless it's dirt cheap or you need the extra rig, I'd advise to pass and wait for something better down the road.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
Faster cores are good for gaming, Zen2 is a big upgrade over Zen+.

For a gaming box the 3600+1660 Super is a noticeably better system. You are right at the sweet spot for memory speed too. Those timings are probably pretty loose but that won't make a huge difference. You can run 1800 MHz fclk and 1:1 with the memory, which is good. :)

·
Premium Member
20,450 Posts
Using the 1660 on both won't make much a difference between the two. I have a 3600 and a 2700 and i used a mid-range card (5700XT) on them and i don't see the difference in games. But my 2700 is paired with 3466 CL14.

Now, if you will do other stuff while gaming like stream, the 2700 might get the upper hand.

• Rep+
Reactions: damric

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,972 Posts
Just saying I own several Zen+ Ryzen 1600 AFs, Ryzen 3600, and Ryzen 5800x. I use performance RAM in each system with extravagant cooling.

The 3600 is faster than my 1600s but I don't notice it while gaming. I only see that it's a bit faster while scoring benchmarks. If I overclock my 1600s to 4.2GHz then it's very close.

But the 5800x is so fast that it is a very observable performance improvement while gaming. The shear clock speed of 4.9GHz boost just mops the floor with the older CPUs.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,553 Posts
Ryzen 2700 vs 3600 is almost an even comparison.

The performance numbers most people think of for earlies ryzen CPUs are probably a little off. first and second gen ryzen CPUs had a hard time with higher ram speeds at first so most of the benchmarks from early reviews were using relatively slow ram, and ram speeds have a significant impact on ryzen performance. Today with the bios stability updates and better ram compatibility for ryzen in general that's not really an issue.

Either way, a 1660 GPU is kinda low end by now so that will be your bottleneck most of the time anyway.

• Rep+
Reactions: damric
1 - 9 of 9 Posts