Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also wondering if I replace the 3x 180mm fans with some AP121's would it get me better temps and less noise? I'm seeing horrible reviews on newegg, but I thought the AP's were great. I must be mixed up.

·
48" Mousepad Extremist
1,014 Posts
Those are the reviews of the AP121 fans, which only give out 35CFM. The idiots on Newegg somehow think that more focused airflow will make that number increase I guess. The AP181 fans are amazing. Their whole advantage is that it forces the hot air out of the case easier.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The AP181 is the 180mm variant of the Air Penetrator line. Moves a goodly amount of focused air, terrific fan really. These are the ones you'd use to replace the 180mm fans in a Raven or Fortress case.

The AP121 is the 120mm variant of the Air Penetrator line, underwhelming in my experience. The focus from the grill (at least in my case) didn't make up for the low flow of air.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
I saw a comparison somewhere between the FT02 with stock fans and AP181s. The results were surprising and the AP181s seem to be a worthy investments. As for the title of the thread, no nothing trumps the stock FT02 airflow. But the HAF-X does have better stock airflow, according to Robilar who has the HAF-X and had the Raven RV02. What would be a nice comparison is the HAF-X with a fan in the VGA air duct vs the RV02 or FT02 with three AP181s.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Quote:

Also wondering if I replace the 3x 180mm fans with some AP121's would it get me better temps and less noise? I'm seeing horrible reviews on newegg, but I thought the AP's were great. I must be mixed up.

AP181 fans are fantastic. AP121 fans are good for what they were designed for, focused and effective airflow. Replacing the 180mm AP181 or FN181 fans with AP121 fans isn't a very smart idea.

Quote:

I saw a comparison somewhere between the FT02 with stock fans and AP181s. The results were surprising and the AP181s seem to be a worthy investments.

You probably saw my review here.

Directron has the best price on AP181 fans. $18.99 each.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farkle0079
View Post

AP181 fans are fantastic. AP121 fans are good for what they were designed for, focused and effective airflow. Replacing the 180mm AP181 or FN181 fans with AP121 fans isn't a very smart idea.

You probably saw my review here.

Directron has the best price on AP181 fans. $18.99 each.

Yep that's the one. Nice review.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confessed View Post
That case makes me silently rage. I know Silverstone goes for positive air pressure, but with only one exhaust fan it just seems like air would be waiting to get out and hot air might build up.
Well heat naturally rises and the flow of air in the case is from bottom to top. Where is the heat going to build up with all of that air movement?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

That case makes me silently rage. I know Silverstone goes for positive air pressure, but with only one exhaust fan it just seems like air would be waiting to get out and hot air might build up.
Well, in every review I've read it has consistently proven to be a fantastic cooling case...clearly the situation you describe is not a factual depiction of what is happening. I don't understand the science behind it...but fortunately I don't have to. The results (temperature tests in reviews across all sites), are all the convincing I need.

·
48" Mousepad Extremist
1,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
Well, in every review I've read it has consistently proven to be a fantastic cooling case...clearly the situation you describe is not a factual depiction of what is happening. I don't understand the science behind it...but fortunately I don't have to. The results (temperature tests in reviews across all sites), are all the convincing I need.
The "science" is really simple. If air built up like that, the case would bow or even explode. But since the extra pressure forces the air out of the case faster, the pressure will stabilize. This seems to work best with Silverstone's design because the flow of air to the top.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Quote:

The answer to this is no. I've tested adding more exhaust above the GPU area and in the stock 120mm exhaust spot. Temps didn't change one bit. Your rage can rest

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMW1011
View Post

The "science" is really simple. If air built up like that, the case would bow or even explode. But since the extra pressure forces the air out of the case faster, the pressure will stabilize. This seems to work best with Silverstone's design because the flow of air to the top.

This is partly true. If we are just talking plain room temperature air, then yes, it is irrelevant. However, we are talking hot air, so some of the heat heat will stay, even though the air itself eventually gets pushed out.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farkle0079
View Post

The answer to this is no. I've tested adding more exhaust above the GPU area and in the stock 120mm exhaust spot. Temps didn't change one bit. Your rage can rest

Well personally, I would love to see two exhaust fans instead of just one

I love Silverstones cases, but I'd like to see a little more exhaust in the FT02 and RV02.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
farkle0079 - so it was also you who tested the FT02's airflow with an additional exhaust fan? If someone has a link for that, it would be nice to provide it. The extra exhaust fan was virtually useless. Extra noise for no benefits FTW, right Confessed?

·
48" Mousepad Extremist
1,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbarry View Post
This is partly true. If we are just talking plain room temperature air, then yes, it is irrelevant. However, we are talking hot air, so some of the heat heat will stay, even though the air itself eventually gets pushed out.
Since heat is energy. The air is the medium in which it resides, so if the air is forced away so is the heat. Heat cannot exist without a medium in such small levels, so it must always be in that medium which is the air or another object. Since air is a far better medium than solids like the components and heatsinks, it will not transfer back. It will transfer from the beginning medium, the component or heat sink, into the air. As long as that air is moved away in a timely fashion, for cooler air to come in and take away more heat we have cooling. Silverstone's design allows the hot air to be quickly forced out of the case with as little resistance as possible, following the "heat rises" rule.

You speak of Dead-air, which there isn't much, there always will be some to a certain degree. There is also the flip-side, negative pressure. This will make air exhaust out of the case too fast which will limit the heat dissipating properties of said air. This is why a balanced cooling system is best, which is what Silverstone has created.

Quote:

Originally Posted by farkle0079 View Post

Your test was hardly probative. There are too many variables and your setup wasn't optimal. The best test would be a similar contraption as to what comes with the ATCS 840. But still you need fans that are an appropriate distance from the back of the case and you need to test different types of hardware. All in all, his worries are COMPLETELY unfounded, as the cooling difference may only effect certain components. Also he is complaining about one of the, and with AP fans, possibly the best air cooling case on the market.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Quote:

Well personally, I would love to see two exhaust fans instead of just one

I love Silverstones cases, but I'd like to see a little more exhaust in the FT02 and RV02.
I just pulled the trigger on a FT02 today. I've been thinking the same thing. Instead of an additional exhaust fan I was thinking of giving the top 5.25'' drive bay a mesh plate like lots of the coolermaster cases have. I'd just put my DVD drive in the 2nd from the top slot.

Hopefully that would just give the hot air an additional place to escape from the top part of the case.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The top of the FT02 isn't water sealed or air tight nor is the fans pulling in air at such tremendous speeds that air can't find it's way out. I shared a similar thought before I ordered the RV02 and FT02 for comparison. Plenty of places the air escapes.

edit: What I want to try as soon as my replacement FT02 arrives tomorrow and I finally finish my build is to see how much of a difference the 90 degree angle set up makes. I'd like to put the FT02 on it's backside in a normal position and see if temperatures worsen or go unchanged. The 90 degree positioned motherboard concept is still new to me and I still do question if the effectiveness of the cooling is because of this....or because 3 large fans sit only mere inches away from the mother board and GPU.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epitope View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a FT02 today. I've been thinking the same thing. Instead of an additional exhaust fan I was thinking of giving the top 5.25'' drive bay a mesh plate like lots of the coolermaster cases have. I'd just put my DVD drive in the 2nd from the top slot.

Hopefully that would just give the hot air an additional place to escape from the top part of the case.
You won't want to do this.

If you are 99% of case owners, the front of your case will be intake. Adding a mesh plate most likely won't do anything unless it's on the back or top. It may create turbulence if you put it on the front with air escaping and entering so close.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
The top of the FT02 isn't water sealed or air tight nor is the fans pulling in air at such tremendous speeds that air can't find it's way out. I shared a similar thought before I ordered the RV02 and FT02 for comparison. Plenty of places the air escapes.
I've seen tests that seem to show the pressure actually helping the cooling of external exhausting GPUs. It's like the positive pressure forces more air through the fan and shroud. I remember them showing that the GPU needed a lower fan speed to hold the same temps in the FTO2 compared to other cases. Maybe it's not a good thing to open up more exhaust ports. Some back-pressure might be a good thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts