Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
New build coming....
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than the 10900k being more money than the 10850k, are there any negatives or disadvantages of a 10900k as compared to a 10850k?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
It depends. If gaming is the most demanding thing, no, not at all (not even in the slightest). If you're doing rather extreme tasks that rely very heavily upon the CPU being as powerful as possible and if you're also aiming for world record-setting benchmarks, then maybe, and I mean maybe. We're talking about two incredibly powerful CPUs here, so I say get the i9-10850K and use the saved money on something else, like food or something necessary like that.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,456 Posts
It depends. If gaming is the most demanding thing, no, not at all (not even in the slightest). If you're doing rather extreme tasks that rely very heavily upon the CPU being as powerful as possible and if you're also aiming for world record-setting benchmarks, then maybe, and I mean maybe. We're talking about two incredibly powerful CPUs here, so I say get the i9-10850K and use the saved money on something else, like food or something necessary like that.
would get the 10900K due to binning, 10850K is too miserable just to save a couple bucks here and there

·
Facepalm
9,499 Posts
other than the 10900k being more money than the 10850k, are there any negatives or disadvantages of a 10900k as compared to a 10850k?
No disadvantages besides price. But you can either win or lose the lottery with the 10900k. With the 10850k, you can REALLY lose the lottery.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
would get the 10900K due to binning, 10850K is too miserable just to save a couple bucks here and there
The difference between them was much larger a few days ago. It was nearly $150. I didn't know the difference is only about $45 now.

·
Registered
New build coming....
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The difference between them was much larger a few days ago. It was nearly $150. I didn't know the difference is only about $45 now.
Exactly!! That's why I am asking :D For that small a difference I am thinking why not go with the 10900K??? Before I did, I Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some weird situation where the 10900K was worse in some way(such as overclocking for example) than the 10850K even though it is more expensive and technically higher end.

·
Registered
10900k / 3090
156 Posts
I would definatly just go without a second coffee a day for a week and get the top binned CPU

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Exactly. When I thought the difference between the two was $150, I thought it was smarter to get the i9-10850K. However, now it’s just a no-brainer. Get the i9-10900K. It’s only a difference of $45 right now.

·
Registered
New build coming....
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry one more dumb question. So many varients of this chip, k, ka, kf, t, etc. i read up on the differences and I think I know what they all mean. I want to be 100% sure before I hit the order button. The 10900K is the most powerful and highest end cpu in the model line; the one I want right?

·
Registered
New build coming....
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I just ordered the 10900K! I am so excited about this build. This is the higest end cpu I have ever had in my life. Its overkill for what I need but wanted to splurge and treat myself this build...

still more parts to collect. 😁

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Well, I just ordered the 10900K! I am so excited about this build. This is the higest end cpu I have ever had in my life. Its overkill for what I need but wanted to splurge and treat myself this build...

still more parts to collect. 😁
Nice! I can feel the excitement. If/when we here in the US get the $1400 stimulus payment, I’ll be making a huge upgrade too! If the price of the 10900K keeps dropping, then I’ll probably get it as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts