2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically the current (27") 1440p 144 Hz IPS monitors are:

for G-sync:
- Asus PG279Q (aka ROG Swift v2)
- Acer XB270HU
- Acer XB271HU

for Freesync:
- Asus MG279Q (but as far as i know this one does either 35-90 Hz Freesync OR 57-144 Hz Freesync .. it cant do 40-144 Hz Freesync)
- Acer XF270HU

as far as I know that its for these specifications atm

these are generally good, but there are still isses - IPS glows, BLB QC issues, stand on Acers etc.

so my question is: if you want a monitor like this - is it worth buying one of these now or is there already something new announced that will expand the 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync/Freesync line and is worth waiting for ?

Obviously something new will come out eventually, but if its at some hypothetical unknown point in the future then theres no point in waiting. Perhaps there have been announcements at things like CES 2016 ? Anything ?

I wanna have all the information before I blow the big bucks on one of these.

Thanks.

P.S. Im specifically wondering about this set of features .. Ultrawide/curved or 4K or TN dos not interest me

·
Registered
335 Posts
Viewsonics XG2703 series (165hz, Free or G-sync) should come out soon.
There is the expensive Eizo FS2735. And a Korean version the Crossover 27FAST (both FreeSync)
They are all using a version of the AUO panel, like all the others.
So far, nothing else in terms of IPS has been announced or leaked. Upcoming high refresh panels seem to be mostly VA (and one 24'' 1440p TN) and many of them are ultrawide.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Quote:
. Upcoming high refresh panels seem to be mostly VA
Hmm, will there be anything new for 1440p 144 Hz Gsync/Freesync on VA then ?

also what the difference between VA and IPs exactly ? Which one would you want ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

Thanks.
Hmm, will there be anything new for 1440p 144 Hz Gsync/Freesync on VA then ?
At 16:9 only a 31.5'' 1440p panel on a Samsung roadmap, so it will probably take a while.
The others are all 1080p (27'',31.5'') or 21:9 ultrawide (30'' 1080, 30'',35'' 1440).
Not all new panels get announced or leaked beforehand though.
It's still possible some kind of new high refresh IPS panel will suddenly turn up towards the end of the year.
Quote:
also what the difference between VA and IPs exactly ? Which one would you want ?
Ghosting (at least in the panels released so far), and viewing angles (gamma shift) are worse on VA Blb, Glow and black levels are better.
It mostly depends on personal preference.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see, thanks

the Crossover 27FAST doesnt support 144Hz Freesync though as far as I can tell .. I mean it has 144 Hz, but not with Freesync

the Eizo FS2735 costs a fortune (~1150 EUR in my local prices
mad.gif
) .. and on their website it says: "FreeSync default setting is 56 - 144 Hz. A setting of 35 - 90 Hz is also available." Pass

http://gaming.viewsonic.com/XG2703/ these two (XG2703-GS & XG2703) seems to basically be the Viewsonic versions of the Acers and Asuses .. I should probably wait for these to come out and see if the BLB/glow issues were eliminated/reduced, hopefully Viewsonic delivers .. they even have a countdown to release lol - looks to be coming out on July 29-th ?

so after they come out I will have to decide between the Viewsonic and Acer most likely (Asus has too much QC issues, even more then Acer from what I hear)

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after some more research
biggrin.gif
I got a few more questions so I thought Id just ask them here instead of making a new thread:

1) the Acer XG270HU monitor is 1440p 40-144Hz Freesync 27" TN .. we all know how plagued the 1440p 144Hz IPS panels are with yellow glow/ BLB etc. .. so is that only because of IPS ? Will a 1440p 144 Hz TN Freesync panel have the same BLB and glow issues or can I expect that to be absent there (or at least greatly reduced) ?

Also is the BLB/yellow glow on black/dark images only really noticeable if you play/watch in a dark room without light or it will be visible even in a well lit room as well ?

2) For those that own a XG270HU - how good/bad is that TN panel in reality ? Has TN improved enough to be comparable to IPS in terms of angles and colors or its still horrible ? Is it worth sacrifing the angles/colors to get a BLB/glow free panel (assuming it is free of those issues) with 1 ms ?

3) How important is the Overdrive anti-ghosting feature on Freesync monitors and how can you find out which Freesync monitors have it and which dont ? Actually is that the same kind of tech as ULMB/LightBoost or its different ?

redface.gif

·
Overclocker
11,634 Posts
Yeah would be nice to get a more affordable version of the overpriced Asus PG279Q panel, the panel doesn't cost that much it's just Asus high pricing along with the Gsync that make it cost through the roof. Unfortunately none manufacturers yet caught up with consumers wanting a polarizing filter to remove the IPS glow and I think only Eizo and NEC put these on the top end professional displays aka $1000+ monitors you never even look at because of their price and poor availability along with specs not good for gaming but good for production business.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still wanna know whether going for a TN panel over IPS in 1440p 144Hz might be worth it to reduce BLB/glow issues

but mostly out of curioisty since I took a look and the XG270HU TN actually has a horrible stand that can only do tilt and anything else, not even height adjust .. so theres no way I would get it, I need height adjust

at this rate if I do decide to get something it will most likely either be the IPS Acer (XF270HU) or the upcoming IPS Viewsonic (XG2703) .. most likely Freesync since its cheaper .. and most likely Acer since Viewsonic is bound to be overpriced (they've stated an MSRP of over $1200 for the XG2703-GS and their 1080p 27" 144 Hz Freesync monitor (XG2701) goes for $500+ ... those are insane prices)

gonna just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best with BLB issues and make sure I can return before I pay .. also I always play and watch with room light on (gaming in a dark room is bad for your eyes
thumb.gif
) and supposedly these BLB issues are the worst with light off

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinddk View Post

http://tech.tgbus.com/special/aocagon/

Not sure if its 100% legit, but it looks really promising.
hmm, that AG271QG looks yummy

AHVA panel ...

time to employ the google-fu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedolf View Post

Ghosting (at least in the panels released so far), and viewing angles (gamma shift) are worse on VA
Blb, Glow and black levels are better.
It mostly depends on personal preference.
the viewing angles are worse on VA than on IPS - but better than on TN ? Or the same as TN ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinddk View Post

http://tech.tgbus.com/special/aocagon/

Not sure if its 100% legit, but it looks really promising.
THX, didn't know about those before..
Lol, if it's legit then AOC is going all in.
They're using almost all the upcoming panels I've listed.
Quote:

the viewing angles are worse on VA than on IPS - but better than on TN ? Or the same as TN ?
Its much better than TN. But especially dark shades are very prone to gamma changes with slight head movements, and colors desaturate towards the edges on the bigger panels.

TN
http://www.3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/08/19/918914/viewangles.jpg
VA
http://www.3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/10/06/921333/viewangles.jpg
IPS
http://www.3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/11/10/923340/viewangles.jpg

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Product availability

The existing gaming display models G2460PG, G2460PF and G2770PF will be rebranded under AGON and are currently available in Australia and New Zealand.

AGON AG271QG and AG271QX are expected to be available in Australia and New Zealand through AOC partners in June, 2016.
AOC AG271QX - 27" 1440p 144Hz Freesync (30-144Hz) TN http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/aoc-agon-series-ag271qx-27-inch-gaming-monitor.html

AOC AG271QG - 27" 1440p 144 Hz G-sync AHVA/IPS http://tech.tgbus.com/201603/20160324214757_5.shtml

.. only the Gsync one is IPS(AHVA)

1x Asus + 2x Acer + 1x Viewsonic + 1x AOC = thats 5 IPS panels for Gsync

and only 1x Asus + 1x Acer + 1x Viewsonic = 3 IPS for Freesync ...

assuming the AOC one uses different panels that arent plagued by BLB and glow like everything else before it (the Viewsonic will use the same panels as the Acer and Asus IIRC) it be the only quality IPS option left and only for Gsync ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone know if there is much planned to be announced/released at computex? I've been looking at the MG279Q, but was wondering if a refresh was just around the corner. Maybe add Freesync through HDMI and support it up to 144hz. I saw the panel at Fry's yesterday, and I thought it was a good looking panel. I think I've been using ips/va screens long enough. Don't know I'd like a tn panel. Just figured might be some new stuff out of computex. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:

hmm, that AG271QG looks yummy

AHVA panel ...

time to employ the google-fu !
AHVA despite the confusing name is IPS and not VA. To be specific it's AUO's version of IPS, so in other words the same panel as on the currently available monitors.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how do you know its the exact same IPS panel as on Acers and Asus ?

either way that panel can still be ok, but the QC needs to be top notch ...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:

how do you know its the exact same IPS panel as on Acers and Asus ?

either way that panel can still be ok, but the QC needs to be top notch ...
Educated guess. Wait and see.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
by the way - 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync/Gsync VA monitors still dont exist, right ?

you HAVE to choose between TN or IPS for 16:9 1440p 144Hz ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Quote:

by the way - 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync/Gsync VA monitors still dont exist, right ?

you HAVE to choose between TN or IPS for 16:9 1440p 144Hz ?
Correct. And no idea when the Viewsonic will release. They had that countdown on their website a month or two ago when their G-sync and FreeSync IPS monitors were to be released. The clock hit zero and NOTHING happened. No retailers had it and it never went on sale. It was an epic fail in my book. And then they announced they will release later in 2016. As far as I'm concerned ViewSonic is vaporware and I didn't wait on them after that BS. They are all the same AUO IPS panels because that's the only supplier of these high refresh rate IPS panels at the moment. The Acer XB271HU and Asus PG279Q apparently have slightly different panels based on the numbering, but they are AUO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts