Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads,
I made a horrible mistake last February-- I spent ~ $5k US with the company Puget (granted was at the height of the bitcoin mining bubble, but I would still recommend NEVER doing business with them-- either build your own or buy from the racks, but the "custom build" studs is BS) for a PC that gave me:

Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe IIAssembly complete.
CPU
Intel Core i7 6850K 3.6GHz Six Core 15MB 140W OverclockedAssembly complete.
Ram
4x Crucial DDR4-2133 8GBAssembly complete.
Video Card
NVIDIA Titan X 12GBAssembly complete.
Sound Card
Onboard SoundAssembly complete.
Networking
Integrated WiFi+BluetoothAssembly complete.
Storage
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA3 2.5inch SSDAssembly complete.

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA3 2.5inch SSDAssembly complete.
Comments: Primary drive.
Western Digital Red 4TB SATA3Assembly complete.
Comments: Secondary drive.
CD / DVD
Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)Assembly complete.
Case / Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 w/ WindowAssembly complete.
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W PS Power SupplyAssembly complete.
CPU Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2)Assembly complete.
Additional Cooling
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound UpgradeAssembly complete.
Fractal Design Define R4/XL/Arc Midi R2 Acrylic Window Replacement w/ 120mm...Assembly complete.
Case Mods
Case Mod Package - Blue LED Lighting w/ RemoteAssembly complete.
Software
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-bitAssembly complete.
Accessories
Warranty
Warranty: Lifetime Labor and Tech Support, 1 Year PartsAssembly complete.
Software / Preferences
Software: Courtesy Install
LibreOfficeAssembly complete.
Acrobat ReaderAssembly complete.
ChromeAssembly complete.
Windows 10 Privacy and Security TweaksAssembly complete.
FirefoxAssembly complete.
Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop AppAssembly complete.
NVIDIA Geforce ExperienceAssembly complete.
Subtotal
$4,822.66
Shipping
$64.82 (UPS Ground 5 days)
Total
$4,887.48

I'll admit, I had been exclusively a Mac person for over 20 years. I had no clue I had bee ripped off until I showed it to a friend familiar with prices of Windows PCs. Wow it was embarrassing for me to stand there in front of that guy. Anyway, I'm aiming to redo my comp. I want to change my SSD memory from the Samsung black boxes to the memory sticks. Also want to get rid of the intel I7 and replace it with an ASUS motherboard and some other ASUS products.

Also, I have VR (HTC Vive) and in April I plan to get another part of VR. According to my computer, I may need more.

IF anyone has any ideas about how memory works and if I switch over from the Samsung Black Boxes to the Stick, I would be very grateful to you all. Thanks lads.

Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
by Samsung

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You posted this question in two places?

You can use Samsung magician (comes with the m2 drives) to clone the SATA SSDs to the the m2 drives.

As far as being ripped off, the Titan is a 1200 dollar video card and the x99 platform was Intel's highest end platform last February. Puget charged you a couple hundred bucks over the retail cost of the components you selected at the time of purchase, for which they offered a warranty and they do stability testing on the machine before they send it out. That's pretty reasonable.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
I'm assuming the "black boxes" and the "memory sticks" you are referring to are 2.5" SATA SSDs and M.2 NVMe SSDs, respectively.

While the difference in benchmarks looks huge and you might imagine the real-world difference between SATA and NVMe drives to also be huge... they really aren't. Not for normal everyday computer programs and games anyway. The real-world performance difference between spinning hard drives and SATA SSDs is HUGE. The difference between SATA SSDs and NVMe SSDs is very small in comparison.

I have a Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe and a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe. I'm all for M.2 NVMe drives. But unless you have money to burn, I wouldn't recommend doing this. Because that's exactly what it would be ... money wasted. The performance difference is not worth it.

·
Storage Nut
21,109 Posts
You posted this question in two places?

You can use Samsung magician (comes with the m2 drives) to clone the SATA SSDs to the the m2 drives.

As far as being ripped off, the Titan is a 1200 dollar video card and the x99 platform was Intel's highest end platform last February. Puget charged you a couple hundred bucks over the retail cost of the components you selected at the time of purchase, for which they offered a warranty and they do stability testing on the machine before they send it out. That's pretty reasonable.
x2 you paid for a service as well as a product when you bought from the company. They set up your system do a lot of testing on it. They might have overcharged you like 1k at worst, but when you bought from them without doing your research....that’s what happens, you pay their asking price. You didn’t have to shop around, you just want to their site or contacted them and clicked buy. You gotta pay for convience. Honestly after building a ton of systems and installing windows and drivers thousands of times, it can be a pain...and troubleshooting driver stability issues makes it worse. I’ve spent days of my life troubleshooting systems that I’ll never get back, but I’m cheap and don’t got $ to burn lol.

Now, any reason for upgrading your SSDs? You have two 500GB EVOs now right? Honestly, unless you have a workload demand for it or need more capacity, those drives should be fine...if you want, feel free to just buy the 960 Pros. You can easily use their migration software to clone your current drives to your new ones.

Also, why do you want to replace your motherboard and CPU? You already have an asus board too...do you mean you want to do a platform change? I’m not following. What are you using your system for? With some more info I can help direct ya a little better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts