Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Looking to upgrade my system, I was going to buy a socket 1156 motherboard. The cheapest mobo I can get is the ASRock H55M-LE or the Intel® Desktop Board DH55TC for € 63,83, however they are micro-ATX.
The next motherboards start at € 113,76 which is to pricey for me.

Can a micro-ATX board fit in a normal sized case? From my understanding the holes are in the same place?

I also wanted to know, if this is the layout of the board:
2046_p4_1.jpg

Do you think I can fit my HD5770 and Scythe Mugen 2 on there?

It looks like my GPU will hit the ram slots switches, and the Mugen will hit the GPU..
Maybe I need to use the default i7 cooler :/

Has anyone got a similar setup? Also, why arn't there any cheap atx motherboards
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post

No reason to not get a mATX case really unless you are wanting a quad SLI uber leet super duper amazing water cooling LN2 overclocking multi-fan killing machine.
Or maybe just an SLI setup + a soundcard.

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

I was given a free i7 860
nice.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The biggest issue is probably being not future proof. When e.g. you'd like to upgrade but slots aren't there.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djankie View Post

The biggest issue is probably being not future proof. When e.g. you'd like to upgrade but slots aren't there.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Well... a 1156 board is not very future proof anyways, so...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

I was given a free i7 860
Sell it and instead go for LGA1155?
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
yeah, mATX won't kill you, and most towers will hold one. the only towers that won't are those mITX cases, but i doubt you are using one. And for those who are saying 1156 isn't future proof, listen to them. The socket is old and i am pretty sure you won't find sata 3 or usb 3 on them. Despite that, they can still make a good rig as log as you have a decent card (which you do) and some good ram (DDR3). I think as long as you use low profile coolers on your ram, or no coolers at all, then you won't have a problem. And i think if you used a tall cooler rather than a wide one, you wouldn't have to worry about hitting the gpu. the only problem with a tall cooler is if you have a small case. if you would, could you tell me the case that you have? other than that i think you will be fine
tongue.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: .:hybrid:.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks for the response.

I sent a mail canceling my order, I'll look into selling the i7 and going 1155.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Normally I would say do what you want, but if you can get enough to buy a new processor and other parts....Id agree with just selling it. Also about micro atx boards, they seem to have come a long way supporting multiple videocards and many other features you used to have to have an atx for. The only thing you may miss is the pci slots, though most of the time I dont even use them anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts