Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played the Torchlight demo and kind of liked it, but it was a little too cartoony for me. I like fantasy party based RPG's, but don't want anything as tedious as Dragon Age with hours of dialogue. Something a bit more casual would be good. Point and click is fine or MMO style (but not an MMO), doesn't matter. I heard Titan Quest is decent, but don't know how involved it is.

6,097 Posts
titan quest:

click to run. click on monster, hold down mouse cursor on monster until dead. run to next monster click on monster. drink health pot. monster killed me. respawn in town. run out of town. collect body. kill monster that killed me. run into cave. kill more monsters. click on shiny chest and items exploed out of chest. pick up FLAMING TOOTHPICK OF STRENGTH +1.
kill more monsters. level up. stack points into strength. run run run........

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Oblivion
Fallout 3 (possibly new vegas)
Mass effect 1&2

Yeah... I haven't played many RPG's.. These are the ones I know AND like.
Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are more like futuristic first person shooters I thought?

Quote:
titan quest:

click to run. click on monster, hold down mouse cursor on monster until dead. run to next monster click on monster. drink health pot. monster killed me. respawn in town. run out of town. collect body. kill monster that killed me. run into cave. kill more monsters. click on shiny chest and items exploed out of chest. pick up FLAMING TOOTHPICK OF STRENGTH +1.
kill more monsters. level up. stack points into strength. run run run........
So does that mean Titan Quest is boring or just repetitive?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
FPS with RPG elements
The only FPS games I really like are multiplayer like BC2 and such. Singleplayer ones don't do much for me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Titan Quest was worth the $6 I paid for it. The story isn't extremely engaging, but the combat is very Diablo/Torchlight-ish. The multiple class combinations make for a decent amount of replay. If you like the combat of Torchlight, Titan Quest will satisfy you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dungeon Siege 2, the story and graphics aren't bad and I really like the gameplay. It's kind of like a simplified Dragon Age, and it works really well as a hack and slash; plus there's just massive amounts of items to collect as well as a fair amount of lore and sidequests if you want to explore that at all. Also a lot of characters for your party and a few different ways to build each one, its deep but not complicated.

Also if you really get into it, it's got the whole Diablo II Normal/Nightmare/Hell difficulty set up, so if you beat normal you can pick right back up where you left off with your party in nightmare which is great if you enjoy the whole "gotta catchem all" items thing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you don't like FPS's, you could drop Fallout, but Oblivion is hardly an FPS. You should really give it a shot.

If you didn't like Dragon Age because of the dialogue, I wouldn't go for Mass Effect either. Although the dialogue is less, it's still very prominent. To be honest, I wouldn't go for any Bioware game.

If you liked Torchlight, try going for Diablo 2. Or perhaps Diablo 3, when it's released.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
casual rpg?

world of warcraft.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Holy crap.

The word is ACTION RPG.

That's what the guy is interested in and quite frankly, if you like Torchlight and not Fallout 3 or Mass Effect, then you're about 10 years late for Diablo 2.

EDIT: Been trying to think and the only game I can think of is KOTOR, but it's probably too much like F3 or ME for you.

Really, if Torchlight is your style of game, you're 10 years late...just wait for Diablo 3. There is nothing comprable to Diablo II other than Torchlight.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peroxide
View Post

then you're about 10 years late for Diablo 2.

...Or 2 years early for Diablo 3.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Titan Quest is essentially Diablo 2 with a graphic update and a different story. I found it very engaging, and for something like 5 bucks right now, it's totally worth it to try.

·
Banned
4,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peroxide View Post
Really, if Torchlight is your style of game, you're 10 years late...just wait for Diablo 3. There is nothing comprable to Diablo II other than Torchlight.
Guess you didn't notice my post about Sacred 2 :/

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Hmm...usually the words casual and RPG aren't in the same sentence. It's really hard to find an RPG that isn't really engaging in terms of story and character. If you feel like Dragon Age is going to bore you with the dialogue and story, then so will Mass Effect 1 and 2. You really might like Fallout 3 though. It has a story but you can breeze through it and just keep playing the game. Yeah it has FPS elements in it but it's also an RPG. I would at least give it a shot. Really though, I highly recommend Oblivion. It's an amazing game and you owe it to your self to give it a shot. It's just plain awesome.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [nK]Sharp
View Post

Guess you didn't notice my post about Sacred 2 :/

Seeing that it came after during a long post of mine, no I didn't see it.

I don't normally go back and read stuff before my posts, I typically do that before posting.

Sacred 2 from the few videos I just saw, seems like a brutal hack and slash type game and the videos just showed combat so it seemed VERY boring and repetitive to me, but checking out the forum makes me think that the game is a lot more expansive than those videos showed.

Maybe worthwhile to check out as well.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwaffle
View Post

Dungeon Siege 2, the story and graphics aren't bad and I really like the gameplay. It's kind of like a simplified Dragon Age, and it works really well as a hack and slash; plus there's just massive amounts of items to collect as well as a fair amount of lore and sidequests if you want to explore that at all. Also a lot of characters for your party and a few different ways to build each one, its deep but not complicated.

Also if you really get into it, it's got the whole Diablo II Normal/Nightmare/Hell difficulty set up, so if you beat normal you can pick right back up where you left off with your party in nightmare which is great if you enjoy the whole "gotta catchem all" items thing.

I played just played the demo. The game is pretty much what I'm looking for, but the best resolution it offers is 1280x1024 which looks terrible on my 1920x1200 monitor.

As for Diablo II, I've played it. Don't really want to play it again. Elder Scrolls has that first person point of view which I don't really like. I'm half tempted to reload Dragon Age. Never got past a quarter of the way through it. The dialogue bored me to tears. It felt like fighting was only 10% with the other 90% cut scenes and talking to people. Maybe I can just fast forward through the dialogue and see if it's any better.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Actually Dragon Age is only like that for the first few hours in the beginning. After you leave Lothering that's when the game starts to really pick up and it seems like you are fighting just about every 5 mins or so. The battles also get more epic in scale. Then the dragons come in
Fun, Fun, Fun. Trust me, I wasn't a fan of Dragon Age in the beginning either. Once, you understand the game and how everything works, the game is amazing. My favorite game of all time at this point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts