Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I live in the tropic s and its bloody hot here.

My Ultra is slightly overclocked and is running real hot. I have a lot of fans installed in my case and the GPU fan is at 100%, but load temps reach more 100C when running Crysis at peak.

I installed a PCI slot cooler right under my card and that brought the peak temps down to 90C, but now the slot fn is malfunctioning and the temps are back up.

think i should dump the Ultra and go for a GTX 285 or somethin??? will that be much cooler than an Ultra???

649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was thinking of getting an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800 but since its much thicker than the stock cooler its gonna block ALL of my SATA ports (currently Ultra is blocking 4 of 6 ports

also this dumps all the heat inside the case, which is gonna heat up the rest of the components eh?

·
Registered
782 Posts
AS5 would do totally fine.And is your cooler dual slot?My cooler is dual slot and pre volt-modded so i get pretty high clocks with my GT.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You should get the Accelero Xtreme for it. I got one for my 8800 GTX and it went from 87C at 600c/1566s/2000m down to 56C at 600c/1674s/2000m while folding. Ambient temps are at 22C and it now idles at 45C. When you have the fans at 100% you can hardly hear them if your case if closed.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
get some MX-2 for the card. and try that. Another thing. it works like a charm but is ugly. is get a 80mm, or a 120m is even better and either mount it inside the case blowing right into the Ultra's Fan. or what gives the best temps for the air cooled graphics card. it's ugly, but it works. get the 120mm fan. and actually zip tie, or install it on the OUTSIDE of the case. on the back of the Tower. sucking air out. and position it directly over the exhaust vents on your Dual slot NV card. and have it suck air out. it gets the air moving fast through those cards and temps drop like crazy. it may be ugly, but who see's the back of the case, and it works better than you'd think.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Just get an aftermarket cooler and use your MX-2. The AC Accelero is beast. I'm going to be getting it once it starts heating up in the summer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaveWithALightsaber View Post
I have some MX-2, will that be better than the stock paste??
ketchup is better then that stock stuff

649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayday View Post
ketchup is better then that stock stuff

really?
so i remove the stock heatsink and rub off the remaining TIM with some rubbing alcohol and apply the MX2, right?

How do i apply it exactly? put a small blob in the middle, or rub and even amout around the whole surface of the GPU and the RAM??

·
Bacon & Eggs
2,865 Posts
Easy fix, remove factory cooler, wipe off crap thermal paste, reapply better thermal paste, and go. I use Shin-Etsu and it dropped load temps by 20°C. Plus, I did not put ten pounds on there like they factory does.

·
Bacon & Eggs
2,865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaveWithALightsaber View Post
should i use the rubbing alcohol to wipe off the paste on the RAM as well???
Your ram sinks should have thermal tape, do not touch that, just do the gpu proc.

649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So Iam gonna attempt this right now.

Just to recap.
remove the heastsink, clean the GPU TIM using rubbing alcohol on cloth, do not touch the RAM sinks or whateva, apply thermal paste on the GPU not the copper heatsink plate, rub it even with a polythene bag over my finger and put the heatsink back on?

Is this right?? Do I need to apply paste on the heatsink plate as well??

thanks guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts