Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dying to get an ultra wide and can't hold off much longer, is there any upcoming 34 inch curved monitors (g-sync would be nice but makes monitors very expensive). I have the hardware to run the 3440x1440p resolution (highly oc 5930k and 980Ti) and currently have a 27 inch korean 1440p monitor. I like the look of the curved lg34uc88 but its only 60hz and freesync and for that money I'd rather it be perfect. Don't really want to spend much a grand (£) on a monitor either. Mainly for gaming purposes.
Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you do decide the splurge a bit I have to say I love my Predator X34. 100Hz is lovely and Gsync is absolutely a game changer. It is very expensive though. I look forward to monitors like that not costing well over $1000 o_O

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

These are the ones to wait for. These and variants from ASUS and Acer.
Honestly that 144hz seems totally pointless to me, i cant see any gpu getting 144fps or even remotely close to that in that resolution. I mean yea of course if you got crossfire/sli sure but for a single card pointless. Getting a 75hz freesync/gsync monitor is PLENTY.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Honestly that 144hz seems totally pointless to me, i cant see any gpu getting 144fps or even remotely close to that in that resolution. I mean yea of course if you got crossfire/sli sure but for a single card pointless. Getting a 75hz freesync/gsync monitor is PLENTY.
A GTX 1080 will get 100+ FPS in that resolution in many games, in the majority of games in fact. Also that will be the only high refresh rate 3440 x 1440 monitor that uses a VA panel which for me is a must, as IPS and TN image quality is just not cutting it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:

Just lower a setting or two. Bigger issue regarding the refresh rate I think could be that these monitors have VA panel and possibly poor motion clarity.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

You mostly need the 144 fps in twitch shooters and mobas and there its easy to get it
I like 100+ FPS in any and all games. It helps with immersion as it's just more realistic.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

A GTX 1080 will get 100+ FPS in that resolution in many games, in the majority of games in fact. Also that will be the only high refresh rate 3440 x 1440 monitor that uses a VA panel which for me is a must, as IPS and TN image quality is just not cutting it.
I wish you were correct but no sorry haha. If were talking old fps games then sure. That res has about 2 MILLION pixels more then 1440p and a gtx 1080 gets UNDER 100fps in most games so add another 2 million pixels and it wont be going over 100fps haha.

If it was true i would have bought the lg curved 34" and a gtx 1080 right away.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:

I wish you were correct but no sorry haha. If were talking old fps games then sure. That res has about 2 MILLION pixels more then 1440p and a gtx 1080 gets UNDER 100fps in most games so add another 2 million pixels and it wont be going over 100fps haha.

If it was true i would have bought the lg curved 34" and a gtx 1080 right away.
It is true, but yes there will be many modern games where you won't get such frame rates. If all you play are AAA 2014-2016 games then indeed you won't be getting 100+ FPS too often.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

It is true, but yes there will be many modern games where you won't get such frame rates. If all you play are AAA 2014-2016 games then indeed you won't be getting 100+ FPS too often.
Yea and its theonly reason i didnt get a 34" one well that and price, 34" 1080p ive been told you end up seeing pixels as ppi is very low so i didnt bother; i can already notice it on the 29" ultrawide as all the videos i watch have become "pixely" idk the exact term lol.

But for gaming its great even Just Cause and Mafia II, my 2 oldest games have ultrawide support; black flag needed a hack but that was super easy. Unity, ETS2, Tomb Raider, Absolution and all that had support which looks great, fps took a bit of a hit but i knew that going in, thank god for freesync, but under 45fps i def notice the slowdown.

Now if only forza 6 got some uwd support wed be golden, game looks great but runs like poop

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I thought this thread was dead after I posted it XD g-sync is just preferred really, not a game changer, except for the price..

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts