Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states...
Does anybody know of an easy way to clean the inside of the 1/2" tubing? Any chemicals that will remove buildup?

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
I would say go old-school and use DAWN dishwashing liquid and a little Clorox...If it can take grease off of plastic...it'll work...just let it soak

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
^^^^ I agree as this was the method I used with my old watercooling setup. Actually pinched the good wifes Hydrogen Peroxide hair bleach solution which is about 20%vol concerntration and added it to water in a 8:1 mix.

note: rinse well several times as it has a dramatic effect on copper.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so some bleach and peroxide....cool. Thanks guys.
Now i'm off to the store for some chemicals...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa

You might not want to mix the two. I'm not sure there would be a problem, but just to be safe...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstfrddy

another option would be to get an aquarium tubing brush and tie some fishing line to the handle and a sinker to the other end and pull the brush through the tubing.

That sounds like a great idea to me, because brushing would allow you to use much milder chemicals, and make the whole thing go faster.

• Rep+
Reactions: fstfrddy

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

I cut up an old sock and tired it to some wire. Then I passed the wire through the tubing, and pulled the sock through. After a few passes, tube was crystal clear.

Bingo!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
hydroflouric acid works wonders!!!!

LOL j/k dont do that...well you probably couldnt even get your hands on some anyways...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa

Make sure peroxide isnt very acidic, otherwize it WILL result in a chemical explosion! I know Bleach is a base, but be sure to make sure peroxide is not very acidic. For the post above, isnt it hydrochloric acid?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by myComputerSucksMore()

Make sure peroxide isnt very acidic, otherwize it WILL result in a chemical explosion! I know Bleach is a base, but be sure to make sure peroxide is not very acidic. For the post above, isnt it hydrochloric acid?

doesnt a base+acid just neutralize each other!?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

As Paul knows, I know little about chemistry.

From my limited knowledge, I believe base+acid may indeed neutralize each other, it's just that "neutralization" may involve explosions, poisonous gasses, etc.

For example, mixing chlorine (bleach) and ammonia is supposed to be a *very* bad idea. Poisonous gasses, I believe.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDeville

As Paul knows, I know little about chemistry.

From my limited knowledge, I believe base+acid may indeed neutralize each other, it's just that "neutralization" may involve explosions, poisonous gasses, etc.

For example, mixing chlorine (bleach) and ammonia is supposed to be a *very* bad idea. Poisonous gasses, I believe.

ya but bleach and ammonia are both bases i think, they arent an acid and base....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

If they are weak (greater than 1.5 or lesser than 12.5) otherwise yes, they will neutralize after a chemical explosion.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts