Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a library or something.. I checked my schools network and they seem to throttle it to 1mb down 500k up.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
That's more than enough for any online game right now.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
There is a reason why they throttle the internet connection. Why not game at home? I'm sure any public WiFi you will find will have throttled their connection. And don't be that one dbag that sucks up all the bandwidth just because you can. -_-

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

There is a reason why they throttle the internet connection. Why not game at home? I'm sure any public WiFi you will find will have throttled their connection. And don't be that one dbag that sucks up all the bandwidth just because you can. -_-

Because I am at college all day and my home is like animal house. I can't sit at my room and play a video game without people bugging the **** out of me. And asking why I rather play vidya gaems than watch futball

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiako44
View Post

Because I am at college all day and my home is like animal house. I can't sit at my room and play a video game without people bugging the **** out of me. And asking why I rather play vidya gaems than watch futball

Understandable. I don't think you're going to find a faster internet connection at your campus because I'm sure they throttle everyone. If you can, maybe a cafe or a fast food place. Local library will probably limit their bandwidth too.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiako44
View Post

Lock the door and get a good headset.

Also note, ping (TCP latency) and UDF latency is more important than bandwidth for gaming.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Lock the door and get a good headset.

Also note, ping (TCP latency) and UDF latency is more important than bandwidth for gaming.

I have no lock and I have a G35 headset..still can hear them quite well... It is really just one person and the other roommate had issues with him.. It pretty much came down to if he leaves then one of the roommates will ditch on us.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Second DH's comment. If you have a good ping (pingtest.com) on campus just go to the commons and grab a table in the corner. Not all Uni's throttle (none that I have come across but I am sure many do), plugged in our speed here (Central Michigan University) is:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PropNut View Post
Second DH's comment. If you have a good ping (pingtest.com) on campus just go to the commons and grab a table in the corner. Not all Uni's throttle (none that I have come across but I am sure many do), plugged in our speed here (Central Michigan University) is:

What about blocked ports?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Good question, I have not hit any as yet. I have been able to host several games including Rise of Flight and Mechwarrior 4 Mercs (this one uses a port that many places block out of hand, I cannot remember off the top of my head which one though).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found out I can't use the univeristy near me Wifi without a student ID. I go to a small college..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist View Post
Get Wi-max... Or you can butter the floor in the apartment and lock your door.
I don't have a lock... Anyways I do have HTC evo and wimax coverage but I hear you can't play an fps with WiMax

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiako44 View Post
I don't have a lock... Anyways I do have HTC evo and wimax coverage but I hear you can't play an fps with WiMax
I had very good ping rates with Clear in atlanta. I install Clear antennas on towers. So It may just have been the fact that I was 150' away from the signal source. Ping rates playing Crysis MWLL mod were from 40 to 150ms which is acceptable on most servers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

I had very good ping rates with Clear in atlanta. I install Clear antennas on towers. So It may just have been the fact that I was 150' away from the signal source. Ping rates playing Crysis MWLL mod were from 40 to 150ms which is acceptable on most servers.
I am getting 200ms full bars.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:

Good WiMax (and the older non cellular 900mhz, 2.4ghz, or 5ghz wifi technology) service is highly dependant on the provider. Most providers here in Michigan greatly throttle their subscribers in both bandwidth and connection clarity. I have had this type of connection to my rural home for several years. I asked repeatedly if I could get a clearer connection (if not a faster one than the 750k that I was getting, just clearer for a better ping) and was told the technology could not provide it. Some research on the internet (including reading the forums of the companies that provide the hardware to the Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs, no..really, it is the trade name)) proved to me that I was not getting the entire truth.

A post earlier showed the speed that I get here at work (Central Michigan University), which is great (for gaming on my lunch time) but at home it was aweful (100-1500ms ping). I purchased and built my own wifi connection with two commercial grade 5ghz antenna's, a cable ISP account installed in a barn several miles away (really, I had it installed in my name in an agricultural building belonging to an old farmer) and now I get 10ms pings, 16mbs/2mbs service and the antennas are further away from each other than were those of the WISP. My setup is perfectly legal (I contacted the legal department of the cable company to make sure,my setup does not violate their terms of service contract as it is providing service to only one household, and checked the current FCC regulations including Article 15 concerning the frequencies/signal strength allowed without a licence, everything is good there).

I know I am getting off topic here, sorry...just wanted to point out that WISPs can provide good service if you find one that wants to, but you will pay a premium for that good service. Poor service makes them more money, especially when their subscribers have no other avenues other than dial-up.

Ok, rant over

These comments were not directed at you SJ, you just reminded me of them

• Rep+
Reactions: Redwoodz

·
OG AMD
8,884 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PropNut
View Post

Good WiMax (and the older non cellular 900mhz, 2.4ghz, or 5ghz wifi technology) service is highly dependant on the provider. Most providers here in Michigan greatly throttle their subscribers in both bandwidth and connection clarity. I have had this type of connection to my rural home for several years. I asked repeatedly if I could get a clearer connection (if not a faster one than the 750k that I was getting, just clearer for a better ping) and was told the technology could not provide it. Some research on the internet (including reading the forums of the companies that provide the hardware to the Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs, no..really, it is the trade name)) proved to me that I was not getting the entire truth.

A post earlier showed the speed that I get here at work (Central Michigan University), which is great (for gaming on my lunch time) but at home it was aweful (100-1500ms ping). I purchased and built my own wifi connection with two commercial grade 5ghz antenna's, a cable ISP account installed in a barn several miles away (really, I had it installed in my name in an agricultural building belonging to an old farmer) and now I get 10ms pings, 16mbs/2mbs service and the antennas are further away from each other than were those of the WISP. My setup is perfectly legal (I contacted the legal department of the cable company to make sure,my setup does not violate their terms of service contract as it is providing service to only one household, and checked the current FCC regulations including Article 15 concerning the frequencies/signal strength allowed without a licence, everything is good there).

I know I am getting off topic here, sorry...just wanted to point out that WISPs can provide good service if you find one that wants to, but you will pay a premium for that good service. Poor service makes them more money, especially when their subscribers have no other avenues other than dial-up.

Ok, rant over

These comments were not directed at you SJ, you just reminded me of them

sweet mod!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts