Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Anyways I just traded my iPod Touch for an Xbox 360 Arcade from a guy I met on craigslist. I already went through 2 Xbox 360's and want to do a few mods (Cooling) that do not involve any soldering or wires onto the Mobo and keep the Xbox 360 running for a few more years. I would also like to keep the Xbox looking like any other ordinary Xbox and later apply a warrenty sticker if it ever does get the RRoD (MS has an extended warranty for the RRoD/E74)

Here is my list of Mods that I will be doing:
1: Get rid of the horrible thermal "Concrete" with ArcticClean and put on some AS5
2: Do the Fan-Duct Mod to Increase airflow
3:Lap the heatsink(s) with some 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper
5: Add a small laptop fan onto the extended GPU heatsink and make the power source an external AC Adapter.

Anyways these are the safe mods I can think of, however I have a feeling there are plenty more out there.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Not too sure on the first 3 items on the list... However, number 5 can easily be solved by buying an xbox 360 intercooler which attaches to the back of the console. They sell some of them which do get powered by an ac adapter, which should be much easier that making your own which does the same thing.

You can also take the fans out of the intercooler, and reattach your own, more powerful fans if you want. It will be so much easier this way.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
Not too sure on the first 3 items on the list... However, number 5 can easily be solved by buying an xbox 360 intercooler which attaches to the back of the console. They sell some of them which do get powered by an ac adapter, which should be much easier that making your own which does the same thing.

You can also take the fans out of the intercooler, and reattach your own, more powerful fans if you want. It will be so much easier this way.
Intercoolers are said to do the oposite of cooling the xbox 360. some even push air in rather than out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
No number 4?
Lol yeah I typed this up in a hurry but I'm too lazy to fix it right now lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazzyRussian
View Post

Intercoolers are said to do the oposite of cooling the xbox 360. some even push air in rather than out.

not true I bought an rrod xbox a few months back that was overheating and would shut off after a few minutes of gameplay so I went and got a 5$ intercooler from gamestop and it hasn't turned off since.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The intercoolers are good but can be quite noisy. Also if you're running a Xenon console, the topmost fan on the GPU side, can burn out on the intercooler during extended play. I've went through and replaced 3 fans on the same unit because of this. Since then I've stopped using the Nyko intercooler and moved onto more reliable solutions.

I've attached a fan to the GPU extended heatsink and it's made quite a difference. My GPU is now cooler than the CPU. Cutting away the rear metal grill also aids air exiting from the case. You should also upgrade your exhaust fans. If you've got the money, the XCM high speed air cooler is a good investment; also has the added bonus of a temp monitor.

The fan duct mod is also a good move. Would you consider replacing the XClamps with the stronger nuts/bolts solution?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ydna666 View Post
The intercoolers are good but can be quite noisy. Also if you're running a Xenon console, the topmost fan on the GPU side, can burn out on the intercooler during extended play. I've went through and replaced 3 fans on the same unit because of this. Since then I've stopped using the Nyko intercooler and moved onto more reliable solutions.

I've attached a fan to the GPU extended heatsink and it's made quite a difference. My GPU is now cooler than the CPU. Cutting away the rear metal grill also aids air exiting from the case. You should also upgrade your exhaust fans. If you've got the money, the XCM high speed air cooler is a good investment; also has the added bonus of a temp monitor.

The fan duct mod is also a good move. Would you consider replacing the XClamps with the stronger nuts/bolts solution?
Reps for you! Anyways this is the new Jasper console which has a 65nm GPU and CPU. However a cooler die always means better FPS. I still have the bolts from my old Xbox 360 X-Clamp Mod. The intercoolers are always a great solution but come-on, I want to take it to the next level!!! Anyways here is my updated list:

1: Get rid of the horrible thermal "Concrete" with ArcticClean and put on some AS5
2: Do the Fan-Duct Mod to Increase airflow
3:Lap the heatsink(s) with some 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper (too poor to buy some sandpaper however donations will be appreciated)
4: Add a small laptop fan onto the extended GPU heatsink and make the power source an external AC Adapter to prevent any chance of electrical interference on the Mobo.
5: Dermel out the metal fan grill

Since this Xbox 360 is being used to play very demanding Xbox 360 games like GTA IV and the soon to be released Halo Reach, there is also a high possibility the Xbox 360 will fail on me so I want it to be as cool as possible.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
1. is likely possible, but ive never been inside a 360 so i cant confirm this...
2.ghetto rigging might work.
3.i dont think you can remove the "CPU" or "GPU" from the board, and that would be the only way to lap them, unless you lap them on the mobo which would be awkward and likely impossible.
4.intercooler would be a better idea, you can find them fairly cheap, but they are LOUD, my friend has one since hes gone thru 3 RRoDs and after getting it they seemed to last longer.
5.this would of course void your warranty, but a VERY good idea if you are ok with warranty voiding, it will decrease noise and increase airflow, which is always good.

the easiest thing to keep it cool is just leave it in the open with good airflow, to allow fresh air to get to it.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post
1. is likely possible, but ive never been inside a 360 so i cant confirm this...
2.ghetto rigging might work.
3.i dont think you can remove the "CPU" or "GPU" from the board, and that would be the only way to lap them, unless you lap them on the mobo which would be awkward and likely impossible.
4.intercooler would be a better idea, you can find them fairly cheap, but they are LOUD, my friend has one since hes gone thru 3 RRoDs and after getting it they seemed to last longer.
5.this would of course void your warranty, but a VERY good idea if you are ok with warranty voiding, it will decrease noise and increase airflow, which is always good.

the easiest thing to keep it cool is just leave it in the open with good airflow, to allow fresh air to get to it.

Good luck with your project!
LOL I used a hairdryer to remove the warranty sticker without voiding it. Also, the CPU and GPU have no heat spreader its just the die like the good old Pentium 3's. The Heat sink can be lapped and I can see small ridges is the surface.I am still against intercoolers as of this moment mostly because if I open up the Xbox 360 and do a few cooling mods, the fan speed will drop and there will be less noise. I am looking forward to maybe flashing/j-tagging
the console to save some money but it is not clear as of this moment.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You're lucky you have a jasper for this. It's the motherboard of choice of the original sized xbox revisions. It should last you a long time.

You could also get small heatsinks to keep the memory chips cool, for extra cooling.

If you are using the original case, and applying a fan to the GPU heatsink, you could cut an air intake hole directly above it to feed in cool air. (Also if you are feeling adventurous you could wire-tie 2 fans around the floating GPU heatsink for a mini push/pull solution).

If you're positioning the console horizontally you could get rubber acoustic feet to lift it from the surface slightly. This will give you a cold air channel underneath, decreasing heat build up. Also helps dampening vibrations from the chassis.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post

In most cases the intercoolers actually cause more harm that good as the air pressure and air direction is not always correct.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Got an RROD 360 coming to me today, will it bebetter to use the TIM I got from the "x-clamp fix" packet or my akasa TIM?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hy3RiD
View Post

Got an RROD 360 coming to me today, will it bebetter to use the TIM I got from the "x-clamp fix" packet or my akasa TIM?

The supplied TIM which is provided with the X-Clamp fix is most likely a cheap synthetic Tim you can buy for cents on websites like eBay, any other TIM that you trust will preform better if applied correctly.

UPDATE:
I took apart the Xbox 360 yesterday to clean out the dust and apply my Modifications. I began with first removing the TIM and replacing it with AS5. I then applied my X-Clamp Mod. I also dremeled out the fan grill as well as the bottom of the metal case so the screws can fit. The Xbox 360 is still running flawlessly but is still a little loud. I am planning on doing the fan shroud mod later today.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hy3RiD View Post
Use some premium TIM like Arctic Silver or Noctua NT-H1. The provided TIM will do the job but you'll get better temps with a premium solution.

I used the Noctua TIM with an XClamp-bolt kit and it's great!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts