Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
That's HORRIBLY expensive... I mean I know electronics are marked up in New Zealand, and that's a decent fan, but NOT for that much money (almost goes to 27 USD), it's ridiculous...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Am I missing something? Those look wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Ultra Kaze's are good as radiator/heatsink fans, but I wouldn't get them for case fans. You don't need the static pressure, and they are very loud.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, you can say that again. I really dislike New Zealand's laziness when it comes to technology.

EDIT: (took too long to type the first reply):

@Volvo, thanks for answering the initial question.

I knew they aren't the best case fans. I was thinking of putting two in push pull on my N620

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Ultra Kaze's are pretty "Meh." Take it from me, I used to use two 3000 RPM versions in my case. I took one out, and dropped the other one down to 2000 RPM, and it was still too noisy for my taste, while pushing sub-par CFM. Look into Coolermaster R4 fans
They're better, and probably cheaper too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_0ctogon
View Post

Ultra Kaze's are pretty "Meh." Take it from me, I used to use two 3000 RPM versions in my case. I took one out, and dropped the other one down to 2000 RPM, and it was still too noisy for my taste, while pushing sub-par CFM. Look into Coolermaster R4 fans
They're better, and probably cheaper too.

Really? I always thought these 38mm fans did better. Well the N620 comes with R4s straight from the box, and I have another two as case fans. They are good in terms of noise, I just never knew they were better than Ultra Kaze fans.

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HSG502
View Post

Really? I always thought these 38mm fans did better. Well the N620 comes with R4s straight from the box, and I have another two as case fans. They are good in terms of noise, I just never knew they were better than Ultra Kaze fans.

I just looked and there are a couple different revisions of the R4 fans, and some are worse than the Ultra Kazes. The kind I'm talking about are the 90 CFM/19 dB spec'ed 2000 RPM ones, which are better. Linkie to one example.

For comparison, the 2000 RPM Ultra Kaze that was linked is spec'ed for 87.63 CFM/32.91 dB.

I'm not saying the Ultra Kaze's are bad; it's just that you might be able to get all-around better fans for less money.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Great fan, I'm running the 3k version but using a fan controller to keep it at ~1k RPM. At 2k, they aren't horribly noisy but you'd struggle to sleep with it on. Performance-wise, these are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_0ctogon View Post
I just looked and there are a couple different revisions of the R4 fans, and some are worse than the Ultra Kazes. The kind I'm talking about are the 90 CFM/19 dB spec'ed 2000 RPM ones, which are better. Linkie to one example.

For comparison, the 2000 RPM Ultra Kaze that was linked is spec'ed for 87.63 CFM/32.91 dB.

I'm not saying the Ultra Kaze's are bad; it's just that you might be able to get all-around better fans for less money.
1. Those specs are very exaggerated.

2.There's more to performance than CFM. The Ultra Kaze, while it may be noiser, has far better static pressure. The R4's aren't that great as heatsink fans because the static pressure is fairly low.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Not worth the markup, IMO. You could probably do better buying from HongKong and paying for airmail. For $38NZ you're up in the San Ace price range. Heck, here is a guy selling one for 15 pounds. Chilled PC will sell you one for 16 pounds. Ask the Chunkster and he'll vouch for their shipping internationally.

I like the Ultra Kazes, but I can get them cheap. Unless they're cheap, go with a better fan.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Not worth the markup, IMO. You could probably do better buying from HongKong and paying for airmail. For $38NZ you're up in the San Ace price range. Heck, here is a guy selling one for 15 pounds. Chilled PC will sell you one for 16 pounds. Ask the Chunkster and he'll vouch for their shipping internationally.

I like the Ultra Kazes, but I can get them cheap. Unless they're cheap, go with a better fan.
And from where I live, could get them for €9.98, which is about 10-11 bucks:
http://www.watercoolingshop.be/fans/ventilatoren/120mm/
Mind the 3000rpm ultra caze which has a whopping 45.90dBA, but also a whopping 133.60CFM.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by genuine555 View Post
And from where I live, could get them for €9.98, which is about 10-11 bucks:
http://www.watercoolingshop.be/fans/ventilatoren/120mm/
Mind the 3000rpm ultra caze which has a whopping 45.90dBA, but also a whopping 133.60CFM.
According to this review the UK3K put out about 110 cfm in free air. That's about right IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts