Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a system that gets pretty hot (currently on air)
I was thinking that i could get the 3000rpm pwm fans and when im doing anything super intensive the fans would be at a lower rpm.

Looking for input from owners if the 3000s are still loud at lower rpms

·
Banned
631 Posts
Is it all the components that get hot or only specific ones ? What do you mean by 'hot' ?
What (size and model) and how many fans are you currently using in your system ? What RPM are they running at and have you tried to increase their speed ? (if yes at what RPM did you find them too noisy?) By 'air' do you mean strict air-cooling or also aio ?
Could you maybe upload a photo of your current setup while indicating the airflow configuration you set up (which fans are intake, exhaust...etc).
What do you mean by 'lower rpms' ?
Not a vardar owner sorry, but I think i can say they are decent fans but their dba/cfm numbers are only indicative.
So unless they're gonna run over 1100+ RPMs there may be better solutions.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadjinnSayan View Post

Is it all the components that get hot or only specific ones ? What do you mean by 'hot'.
What (size and model) and how many fans are you currently using in your system ? What RPM are they running at and have you tried to increase their speed ? (if yes at what RPM did you find them too noisy?) By 'air' do you mean strict air-cooling or also aio ?
Could you maybe upload a photo of your current setup while indicating the airflow configuration you set up (which fans are intake, exhaust...etc).
What do you mean by 'lower rpms'

Not a vardar owner sorry, but I think i can say they are decent fans but their dba/cfm numbers are only indicative.
So unless they're gonna run over 1100+ RPMs there may be better solutions.
Well I'm on air right now as in cpu cooler and exhaust fans. System consist of a 5930k at stock and s 980ti.

Both run hot when gaming (80c+/60c+ on low settings in game)

Currently I have 3 of these as exhaust http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/jetflo-120/
They're pwm so they turn all the way up its hot and the noise isn't unbearable.

By lower rpm I mean like around 1500rpm

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Have you considered Gentle Typhoons?

Their cooling to noise ratio is suberb.

EDIT: didn't see you're using them as casefans. GT's are better for rads.

For casefans, look into the Pantheks PH-F140MP indeed. Great fans. The casemod I'm working on, relies on just 2 in the front and should be more than sufficient, even at low rpm.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

Have you considered Gentle Typhoons?

Their cooling to noise ratio is suberb.

EDIT: didn't see you're using them as casefans. GT's are better for rads.

For casefans, look into the Pantheks PH-F140MP indeed. Great fans. The casemod I'm working on, relies on just 2 in the front and should be more than sufficient, even at low rpm.
Im looking for rad fans lol. My case was made for watercooling, its kinda a heat trap for air cooling.

I see the GTs have a lower rpm. Are they gonna do the same at 2150rpm that the vardar would do at 3000?

Also my case has a really tight space for the rad/fans. Ive alrdy picked a rad, but it only fits if the fans are no thicker than 25mm
Is true Gts are a little thicker?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

Why on earth do you need 3000RPM vardars ? Pick the 1450rpm ones and enjoy silence
Well 2 reasons.
1) my case
2) im cooling a 5930k/980ti with a single 360 rad and no intake fans (hint reason 1, case uses passive intake instead of fans)

This guy has a finnished build with the same case
http://ggflan.com/lian-li-pc-o7s/

But yes id love to run the vardars at something like 1450 when browsi ng and be able to have it go near max/3000 when gaming or rendering

·
Banned
631 Posts
Nonono imo you won't find any bearable fan at 2500+ rpm if you already find the ones you have noisy at 2000.
Is your mobo able to control all fans ?
We should first see if we can improve your current setup then we'll hopefully find fans that suit your needs.
Pls poste a paint commented pic of your case atm (with direction of fans airflow and maybe speeds including cpu cooler.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Others have pointed most things out:

First, your case is NOT suited for high-TDP hardware, even with water cooling. This might work when you're using a blower-style GPU or if you split loops (120mm for the GPU & 240mm for the CPU) but don't take my word for it. GPU's are easier to pull heat from and GPU loops tend to be delta 20°, while CPU is preferred under delta 10°

A 5930K + 980 Ti on a single 360mm rad is very tight. You'll need a rad optimised for high-RPM fans, paided with 2K RPM+ radiator-suited fans, preferable in push/pull config.

You have some options:
  • Swap the fans for high-RPM fans (although I doubt this will change a lot and will result in noise, a lot of it)
  • Ditch the case for something that's actually suited for high TDP hardware.
  • Use an extra external rad (Dual 360 for example)
  • Remove the sidepanel
  • Mod the case to allow for more airflow and a push-pull config (I don't think it fits without modding?)
  • Split loops (although this won't improve the results too much)
  • Lower overclocks
As for fans:
Everything above 2K get's loud, unless it uses a special blade design (like the GTs for example, and even those get audible above 2K). The 3K vardar will get loud.

EK lists the 2200 RPM at 33.5 dBA and the 3000 RPM at 42 dBA. These ratings are bullcrap, but to give you an idea: dBA scale is logaritmic. Every 3 dBA doubles the "perceived sound level".

This is de vardar at 2200 RPM.

Some other things to note: When you're going exhaust-heat with the rad, you'll suck dust in the case. When you're going intake rad, you'll heat up the hardware in your case A LOT (Hard drives, SSD, motherboard, ... will all heat up easily above 50°

^Just my thoughts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadjinnSayan View Post

Nonono imo you won't find any bearable fan at 2500+ rpm if you already find the ones you have noisy at 2000.
Is your mobo able to control all fans ?
We should first see if we can improve your current setup then we'll hopefully find fans that suit your needs.
Pls poste a paint commented pic of your case atm (with direction of fans airflow and maybe speeds including cpu cooler.
They dont bug me at all, im fine with something louder. the important thing to me is getting lower temps. Unless its louder than a delta im good.

Yes my mobo can my current fans are set up with pwm.

Im looking for radiator fans for Watercooling, so im sort of confused why u want that?

Heres a diagram
http://www.lian-li.com/tw/files/2014/10/o7s-f-13.png

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

First, your case is NOT suited for high-TDP hardware, even with water cooling. This might work when you're using a blower-style GPU or if you split loops (120mm for the GPU & 240mm for the CPU) but don't take my word for it. GPU's are easier to pull heat from and GPU loops tend to be delta 20°, while CPU is preferred under delta 10°

A 5930K + 980 Ti on a single 360mm rad is very tight. You'll need a rad optimised for high-RPM fans, paided with 2K RPM+ radiator-suited fans, preferable in push/pull config.

You have some options:
  • Swap the fans for high-RPM fans (although I doubt this will change a lot and will result in noise, a lot of it)
  • Remove the sidepanel
  • Mod the case to allow for more airflow and a push-pull config (I don't think it fits without modding?)
  • Lower overclocks
As for fans:
Everything above 2K get's loud, unless it uses a special blade design (like the GTs for example, and even those get audible above 2K). The 3K vardar will get loud.

EK lists the 2200 RPM at 33.5 dBA and the 3000 RPM at 42 dBA. These ratings are bullcrap, but to give you an idea: dBA scale is logaritmic. Every 3 dBA doubles the "perceived sound level".

Some other things to note: When you're going exhaust-heat with the rad, you'll suck dust in the case. When you're going intake rad, you'll heat up the hardware in your case A LOT (Hard drives, SSD, motherboard, ... will all heat up easily above 50°

^Just my thoughts
I already have the radiator picked out
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/14/hardwarelabs-nemesis-360-gtx-radiator-review/

Do you mean underclock? Cos im not OC at all

The lian li section on OC.net has a few of these cases watercooled

My only question was about the vardars noise.

And since u brought up the GTs, i asked whats the difference? As in forget the noise difference which performs better?

·
Banned
631 Posts
Alright, maybe put the data from the questions you answered since the first post (current setup, fans, rad, rpm used, temps, type of improvement,budget maybe,...) so people know what to suggest right awau

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gree View Post

Quote:

You have some options:
  • Remove the sidepanel
  • Lower overclocks
As for fans:

^Just my thoughts
I already have the radiator picked out
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/14/hardwarelabs-nemesis-360-gtx-radiator-review/

Do you mean underclock? Cos im not OC at all

The lian li section on OC.net has a few of these cases watercooled

My only question was about the vardars noise.

And since u brought up the GTs, i asked whats the difference? As in forget the noise difference which performs better?

If you're not going to OC, you'll be fine with "normal" RPMs.

In that case, get 3 (or 6 for push pull) Gentle Typhoons. The reason I recommend these, is because the cooling to noise ratio is very good. The cooling performance of the 2150 rpm GT is pretty much on par with the Vardar, but they are A LOT quieter. At 2150 rpm, they'll cool your system with that rad. Just make sure to have them as exhaust.

As for "water cooled", that term means you have a water cooling loop for the system. It doesn't say anything about temps, noise etc. Those 2 last are the most important reason people want to water cool.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

In that case, get 3 (or 6 for push pull) Gentle Typhoons. The reason I recommend these, is because the cooling to noise ratio is very good. The cooling performance of the 2150 rpm GT is pretty much on par with the Vardar, but they are A LOT quieter. At 2150 rpm, they'll cool your system with that rad. Just make sure to have them as exhaust.

As for "water cooled", that term means you have a water cooling loop for the system. It doesn't say anything about temps, noise etc. Those 2 last are the most important reason people want to water cool.
So i cannot oc with just GTs? Id like to but if im not able to i understand.

At 2:05 is what the current fan sounds like. Im fine with louder plus im usually wearing headphones.
http://youtu.be/vwbLGA593bE.

Are GTs the going to give me the best perforfance? (Performance only, not noise to perf ratio)

Are you asking what temps am i looking for? Well for the gpu im getting 80c, id like to maybe get down to 75c max.

The cpu is in the 60s when gaming so which isnt bad. Any improvment there is great
Although tried running prime and the cpu got really hot. Around 90c

Edit
Oh and yes ill be running pull, cos i cant fit push,pull in my case.

And for the noise/temp: important reasons. im purely doing it for temps.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gree View Post

Quote:

So i cannot oc with just GTs? Id like to but if im not able to i understand.

At 2:05 is what the current fan sounds like. Im fine with louder plus im usually wearing headphones.
http://youtu.be/vwbLGA593bE.

Are GTs the going to give me the best perforfance? (Performance only, not noise to perf ratio)

Are you asking what temps am i looking for? Well for the gpu im getting 80c, id like to maybe get down to 75c max.

The cpu is in the 60s when gaming so which isnt bad. Any improvment there is great
Although tried running prime and the cpu got really hot. Around 90c
Hard to tell. You'll likely not have too much margin though.

As for cooling: obviously a 3K RPM fan will perform better than a 2150rpm GT. If you want performance at any cost, just get Deltas.

You're trying to cooling about 350-400W with a single 360mm. That's just tight. Your GPU will run a lot cooler (and be faster too, considering the boost clock will go higher if the temps stay lower), but your CPU is a different story, especially if you GPU is dumping 250W in your loop while you're gaming. I don't think you'll have a lot of margin to OC.

Want to make sure if it cools properly? Get Deltas and build it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Hard to tell. You'll likely not have too much margin though.

As for cooling: obviously a 3K RPM fan will perform better than a 2150rpm GT. If you want performance at any cost, just get Deltas.

You're trying to cooling about 350-400W with a single 360mm. That's just tight. Your GPU will run a lot cooler (and be faster too, considering the boost clock will go higher if the temps stay lower), but your CPU is a different story, especially if you GPU is dumping 250W in your loop while you're gaming. I don't think you'll have a lot of margin to OC.

Want to make sure if it cools properly? Get Deltas and build it.
graph:

Not sure is the black ice is the same as the nemesis but it should be able to cool both.

Im not sure i really need the deltas but okay. Isnt there something special i need to run those? My asus board runs my fans on max when it boots then it lowers them to the curve ive set

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have the 3k vardars, 4 of them on 480mm worth of rad, they are really loud when cranked right up of course but at about 1400rpm they are very quiet still, they drop to about 1050rpm at minimum PWM and they are basically silent then. Oh and the 3k is really good for keeping deltas to about 5*c above ambient when required but still quiet enough at idle/browsing/etc. I'm at 4.5*c above ambient with about 350w of heat to dissipate.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Quote:
I have the 3k vardars, 4 of them on 480mm worth of rad, they are really loud when cranked right up of course but at about 1400rpm they are very quiet still, they drop to about 1050rpm at minimum PWM and they are basically silent then.
Do you have other fan models in you case ? could you make a comparison with the vardars ? (rpm at the same noise)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a 3k gentle typhoon as well, different sound profiles, ahrd to say which one is quieter at lower rpm's, typhoon might be quieter but has weird motor noise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts