Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been asked (I have probably asked it before =/ but couldn't find anything on the search).

I'm getting weird usage on my 470 once I start SMP.

Is it simply that my CPU can't keep the 470 running at max whilst it's running SMP as well? Or is there something inherently wrong with my system?

I've got rainmeter and rocketdock running in the background, but nothing else (if that makes a difference).

Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Is Aero enabled?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
The way I fixed this problem with my GTX 480 was to set the FahCore_15 to real time priority. (you could probably get away with High or anything above what the SMP is set at)

My guess on what was happening is the GPU client and the SMP client are competing for CPU time; the GPU client has to wait sometimes, and that causes the small drops in GPU use.

Also, it seems to drop like that when you scroll up and down on a webpage or do other graphical stuff... The GPU3 client is good at throttling back to let you have smooth performance for windows.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3
View Post

The way I fixed this problem with my GTX 480 was to set the FahCore_15 to real time priority. (you could probably get away with High or anything above what the SMP is set at)

My guess on what was happening is the GPU client and the SMP client are competing for CPU time; the GPU client has to wait sometimes, and that causes the small drops in GPU use.

Also, it seems to drop like that when you scroll up and down on a webpage or do other graphical stuff... The GPU3 client is good at throttling back to let you have smooth performance for windows.

Ah makes sense... *goes and tries increasing priority*

It worked! Thanks k4m1k4z3! It's at a stable 99% now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLChris;12004397
That is only a temporary fix, you need to use a program like Setpriority or leave one core for the GPU using the -smp 3 flag on your SMP client.
Check out the Setpriority guide.
wink.gif
Thank Chris, done and done
wink.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts