Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm going to hold on to mine and skip this generation of cards.

At least I say that; who know how much willpower I'll have when they come out?

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
As of December 5th, 2011.

Nvidia Next-Gen Kepler GPUs Slated for Q2 2012 - Tom's Hardware
Quote:
Japanese site 4Gamer.net reports that the entry-level GK107 card could be the first model of Nvidia's new 28 nm GPU series and arrive with a 128-bit memory interface as well as GDDR5 memory. The GK106 will follow as a mainstream version and apparently use the same GPU core, but support a 256-bit interface as well as PCI Express 3.0, instead of PCIe 2.0 in the GK107.

A performance version GK104 is due in Q3 and will use a 384-bit memory interface and integrate 1.5 GB of memory. According to 4Gamer.net, the card will deliver a single-precision floating point performance of 2 TFlops. A high-end GK110 apparently scheduled for Q4 uses two GK104 cores and deliver about 4 TFlops while the flagship model GK112 isn't scheduled to be released before 2013 and arrive with a 512-bit GDDR5 interface.
April to June time frame is Q2. I have a good feeling about this time frame and couldn't imagine them being any later than that as they are already late out of the gate. Kudos to AMD for being on time and taking advantage of this unchallenged market.

As of December 13th 2011.

Nvidia Kepler Is On Track, Samples Arrived In-House - Softpedia.
Quote:
"We are on track with our Kepler roadmap. We have 28nm silicon in house now," said Igor Stanek, Senior Product PR Manager at Nvidia during an interview with the Fudzilla website.

"Our transition to 28nm is going better than 40nm, and yields are better than our original plan," concluded the company's rep without going into any details regarding Kepler's roadmap.

However, over the course of the last few months, multiple Nvidia representatives have said that the first Kepler-based graphics cards aren't expected to arrive until Q2 of 2012, so this is probably the timeline that Stanek is referring to.

Before Kepler arrives, the GPU maker is expected to release a series of die shrinks of Fermi built using TSMC's 28nm fabrication process.

The first chips based on the Kepler architecture were taped out by Nvidia at the beginning of September.

Kepler is the code name used by Nvidia to refer to its next-generation graphics processing unit architecture, which, just like AMD's Radeon HD 7000 GPUs, will be manufactured using TSMC's 28nm fabrication process.

The new graphics core is expected to be more flexible in terms of programmability than the current Fermi architecture.

In the second half of 2010, Nvidia promised that Kepler, and its successor Maxwell, will include virtual memory space (allowing both the CPU and the GPU to use a unified virtual memory) and pre-emption support, as well as a series of other technologies meant to improve the GPU's ability to process data without the help of the system's processor.

According to previous Nvidia estimates, these changes, combined with the new manufacturing process, should deliver 3 to 4 times the performance per Watt of the Fermi architecture in double-precision 64-bit floating point operations.
I also expect Nvidia to come out stronger than everyone is expecting much above 7970 performance. I'm sure Nvidia is thinking ahead and will be prepared for any AMD refresh that will have to come out to just compete. Time will tell to set the record straight and we can all speculate anyway we'd like.
smile.gif

Hang onto your 580's, they will make a great Physx card to a GTX 780.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
480 Posts

As of December 13th 2011.

I dunno about this... They normally bring a high power card first then make various lower price'd models after

Plus I read the 2013 1 bit as 20131 which worried me =p

But I'll wait till both Nvidia and AMD have their next gens out then buy some new cards ;D I like to know what I'm buying so I'll probably look at a few reviews then pick a strategically priced card/cards for the performance I get
smile.gif

Although I'm very please with the amount of performance they've been able to get out of the 7970
smile.gif
it means I may be able to get 1 card that out performs my 2 460's =p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Only if I had an OCD, which I don't!
wink.gif

Plus, I don't expect any more visible performance than what I currently get.

I bet you anything (OP), that when you get the 780, you'll be saying "Wow, that's a great upgrade!", but only from whatever is keeping your PC running from now until then, not from your previous 580!
wink.gif

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nope. Im holding onto my dc2 to sli it once i find another cheap enough. At 1080p i wont need anything more powerful than sli 580s for a long time.

·
Melted Cheese
4,186 Posts
Coming from an amd perspective I was going to sell my 6970 and grab a 7970, but then I realized there isn't a single game I need it for. Until the new generation of consoles cone out I wont be needing the power of the new Gen so I might as well save my money and buy it when it is appropriate for my pc gaming needs. Nothing I have doesn't run maxed out at 1080p at the moment. That includes bf3.

I used to always want the latest although that I've seen where it gets me in a world of console ports I see my money is best saved or spent on something else.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post

Coming from an amd perspective I was going to sell my 6970 and grab a 7970, but then I realized there isn't a single game I need it for. Until the new generation of consoles cone out I wont be needing the power of the new Gen so I might as well save my money and buy it when it is appropriate for my pc gaming needs. Nothing I have doesn't run maxed out at 1080p at the moment. That includes bf3.
I used to always want the latest although that I've seen where it gets me in a world of console ports I see my money is best saved or spent on something else.
Just my 2 cents.
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk
^^ completely agree. I was thinking of either doing sli for my 580s or selling my 580 for a 780... but really i can play bf3 on high 2xmsaa @60fps... i dont really need ultra or 4x msaa especially considering the hassle and the cost. I can max pretty much everything else out.

Ill wait for DX12 cards
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

i would rather wait for maxwell.... or sli my 580s.
Wait for Maxwell? Seeing as how they'ved already missed the target date for Kepler I'd say you'd be waiting until 2014 easily.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have no idea what do... wait for like 7 months for 780s/785s or just go with 7970s...
frown.gif

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
No offence to the OP, but I used this thread as an example of a discussion my brothers and I were having about how pointless it is to always want top-of-the-range!
smile.gif

I'd like to chip in the obvious. In retrospect, you're going to be playing games with a not-so-good graphics card for another seven or eight months just to get the 780 without having lost too much money off your 580. The 880 will be better than the 780. Will you sell your 780 three months later?
tongue.gif

If so, you're going to basically play games properly and well only three months per year, hahaha. Think about this. Is there any point?
If you must have the latest (don't know why given the lack of visible benefit to performance most of the time), you could just take the loss of cash and sell the 580 when the 780 is out and you've upgraded (or a week or two before release).

EDIT: Also, the reference cards are always quite ugly, noisy and hot compared to the much better non-reference cards that come out later. Unless you're watercooling, it's a shame. Reference and non-reference differences might also include better overclockability due to better components (e.g. MSI Twin Frozr III cards).

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
gib007 i agree with almost everything you say but reference cards are always the sexiest. At least to my eyes hehe

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
Reference have two other little choices. First the vapor chamber cooling option which blows the hot air exhaust out the rear air flow bracket. So the air isn't dumped inside the case. For some that's a preference and for others with poor ventilation a viable option to reduce heat.

Secondly, if your going to put a water block on it or leave the door open for water block down the road.

I love my backplate on my reference to boot. Looks sweet without an exposed PCB when I gaze inside.
wink.gif
I also don't find it any noisy than the TFII I had before IMO.

So beside just personal preference there are other reasons. I know Gibb and he didn't mean anything bad about reference other than pointed out some reasons for non vs reference and why in his personal choice. So no offense taken by this reference owner.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts