Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Folding Fanatic
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a room in my house, with no central HVAC I run my folding rigs in, and it's average temp is ~95°F. I'm trying to come up with a way to keep it cool in a TN summer without hemorrhaging money on an AC unit that's using 1500w of electricity to cool 1500w of heat off. I rent so cutting holes in the floor, etc are off limits. Thoughts?

·
Folding Fanatic
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response, my problem is it's an isolated room, i'd be moving around hot air, and in the summer the outside temp is higher than inside.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was thinking you could prop the door open and point 2 fans at it (1 after another with some distance between them to prevent recirculation).

Maybe try something with a portable A/C with ducts or something I guess? Though it will be expensive both up front and in electric cost. And you'll have at least 1 visible duct depending on how it's set up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you have a light fixture on the ceiling, replace it with a ceiling fan. They can be had pretty cheap, just go for one that takes a standard light bulb. Even if you're renting, you can always ask your landlord if they are willing to pay for and install it first. Really, the worst thing they can say is no. If they say no you can install it and reinstall the original light fixture before you leave. Depending on how much sun the room gets, a certain amount of moderation can be had by keeping any window coverings closed during the day. Without actually cooling the room, if it's usually hot, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

·
Folding Fanatic
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, After a few drinks I have had an epiphany, I'm going to get a small piece of wood, drill 4 holes in it, and run hoses to an automotive radiator under the house. there is a window above my crawlspace, so if i get a big diesel truck rad from the junkyard, I can keep the heat outside, without permanent modification to the house. That'd serve a dual purpose, keep the house cool in summer and keep the pipes warm in winter, I'll install an automotive radiator fan on a thermostat to kick on at 120°, I figure a 5-6gal system should keep 2 1366 machines, an r9 290, and 2 7850s as cool as they need to be.

·
Iconoclast
30,422 Posts
Anyway you can simply keep the systems outdoors during the summer?

·
Folding Fanatic
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan to plumb water to a remote radiator

·
Registered
441 Posts
Have all the PCs in the room be cooled by water bongs. Or have them all water cooled by a water pipe that does heat exchange with the public utility water. Another cheap router is make a vented hole on the roof like for bathroom but with a high power fan to suck hot air out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyettoday View Post

I plan to plumb water to a remote radiator
I remember seeing a thread where someone made a watercooling system for all his computers that went to a car radiator outside, but I couldn't find it anymore.
He had everything plumbed into a manifold so each rig could be connected/disconnected independently. But setting up such a system will likely take a lot of time and money...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts