Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma, I'm a student in college and have a limited budget of about $800. I've previously enjoyed building and piecing together a PC but I really don't have the time to do it anymore. I really wanted to go for a new AMD build that would keep up with today's and future games, however I really haven't had time to look into parts, etc.

Most of you keep up to date with parts and know what I should expect. Is $800 feasible and if so, is their any company that would build it for me for that price or should I expect to do it myself?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
it takes between 15 and 20 minutes to build a computer, Not including OS install.

Your better off doing it yourself, Dell is overpriced along with alienware.

You could however go for Ibuypower Pcs on newegg

the time it take to order a pizza is all it takes to build a computer.

I too am a College student on my own with a job as well, I have plenty of time to do homework, Work and of course upgrade my rig and clean it all the time. You surely can't be that short on time.

You could build a nice Phenom2 machine with an HD4890 for your price range

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could carry over the HDD and CD/DVD drives. I'd rather not touch anything else because something fried the motherboard/PSU and I'm stuck using my Mac that I had to buy for my Digital Media major.

If I bought that Phenom II X4 940 Deneb what motherboard and ram should I look into? Nvidia or ATI etc, sli? Possibly up to $900.

Are these Cyberpower PC or ibuypower's reputable from newegg?

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

it takes between 15 and 20 minutes to build a computer, Not including OS install.

I too am a College student on my own with a job as well, I have plenty of time to do homework, Work and of course upgrade my rig and clean it all the time. You surely can't be that short on time.

I will eat your shorts if you can build a computer in 15 minutes. Cannot be done. Takes half hour if you know what your doing a few hours for a novice........ Takes 5 min just to put screw ins inside case for mobo...LOL That leaves 10 min left....Hurry!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Unless you will specifically choose the parts and trust the builder I'd seriously reconsider having someone else do it. You'll walk away knowing it was done right and you'll save a lot of money in the process. That's just my two cents though.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah I really think you should take the time to build one yourself. You don't have to build it all in one day if you are very busy. This way you know what parts you are putting into it and you'll save a bunch.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Dude, the time you spend writing this and researching your question, you could build it yourself. Not trying to be a dick here, but it's dam simple, offers a great savings in price, and at least imo, I always would rather do something myself.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

I agree with this.

It literally does take minutes.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Here's a good time line for someone from OCN to build a PC (I hope).

Unpack everything - 5-10 minutes
Insert processor into motherboard socket - 1-3 minutes
Install RAM and video card - 1-3 minute
Unscrew case + screw in Hard drive and DVD drive - 3-5 minutes
Install Power Supply / Motherboard - 10-15 minutes
Test to see if everything powers on - 5 minutes
Cable management - 1-? minutes

So, realistically, it should take you anywhere between half an hour to many, long hours (if you're into cable management).

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood
View Post

I will eat your shorts if you can build a computer in 15 minutes. Cannot be done. Takes half hour if you know what your doing a few hours for a novice........ Takes 5 min just to put screw ins inside case for mobo...LOL That leaves 10 min left....Hurry!

I will do it in 15 minutes on youtube for $50. Don't think I can? Watch me.

Although, that doesn't include taking stuff out of Boxes...

Listen, m|dg3t. Take a look at my guide, as well as others. Here is my PC build guide:
http://www.overclock.net/guide-conte...struction.html

Take a look at newegg. You can make a VERY fast PC for $800.

• Rep+
Reactions: m|dg3t

·
Registered
923 Posts
Although I won't put $50 on it I'd be impressed if you could build a new PC in fifteen minutes unless the parts were something you've worked with dozens of times with in the past. It always takes awhile to match up the mobo/case, install standoffs, and screw in the mobo. Depending on the case too it can take a lot longer. Sometimes those "tool-less" designs end up being more of a hassle than just getting out a screwdriver. Regardless, if you can do it that would make you a PC building Ninja and definitely not something the OP, or myself for that matter, could replicate.

30-60 minutes would be more likely assuming we're forgetting about installing the OS. I'd still say even if it took the OP two hours it'd be well worth it over gambling on having someone else do it but that's just me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts