Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of someone who has lost there system to water cooling?
This guy posted this in another forum in regards to the water cooled 8800GTX,

Quote:

I've seen quite a few cases on the net with people's systems being screwed with water actually so to put out a water block on a stock card would be a serious mistake

He think's he is a computer Guru, I told him he don't know what's he is talking about, personally I don't know of anyone who has lost there system, I've heard of people having leaks.
Also I told him if your that worried about it use Non-Conductive Coolant.

Myself I think it's great that there putting water blocks on cards maby AMD and Intel will be next.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Yeah it will cook your gear for sure, but if you do it right you'll be fine. The people that talk like that have no idea how to even go about putting a water system together. Ask for links then post the links here so we can all ROFL at them and then call him an idiot. God I'm so cool

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
If you take your time and have a little common sense your not going to have to many problems....Freak accidents do occur, but thats just the risk most WC are willing to take..

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USFORCES

It's over at BFG forum,
http://www.bfggaming.com/modules.php...ewtopic&t=2639

Bah! work blocks it...I'll have to take a look when I get home. Ask him for all the links that he is referring to.

:edit: You can still cook stuff with the premixed liquids that claim to be non-conductive, but you have a little more chance of it living through a spill. It's only non conductive for cretin volts and if it picks up dust and other impurities during a spill it will conduct electricity.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

Yeah it will cook your gear for sure, but if you do it right you'll be fine. The people that talk like that have no idea how to even go about putting a water system together. Ask for links then post the links here so we can all ROFL at them and then call him an idiot. God I'm so cool

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Bah! work blocks it...I'll have to take a look when I get home. Ask him for all the links that he is referring to.

LOL, I did ask him for links, and he said I was short-sighted.
You will have to read it.

I mean if it's that bad someone here should know somebody, LOL

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USFORCES

LOL, I did ask him for links, and he said I was short-sighted.
You will have to read it.

I mean if it's that bad someone here should know somebody, LOL

I'm trying to think of exactly what would happen if you used non-conductive fluid. First off...just cause it's non-conductuve doesn't mean it can withstand ANY voltage thrown at it. Like any di-electric fluid, it has a breakdown voltage. Oils seem to have a VERY high breakdown voltage. De-ionized/distilled water has an amazing breakdown voltage also. But, I don't know what the breakdown is in these various coolant liquids we see on the market. I've heard that some of them are only 12V. So, if any fluid sprays into the PSU...toast.

Either way...just like if the coolant pump stops for any reason and you are not at your computer (it's a folding rig, for instance...running 24/7), you will overload the parts being cooled. The CPU would heat up and shut down eventually. Then, when it cools significantly, the MoBo would reboot. It could sit there cycling reboots until you noticed. But, I wonder...what would happen if your GPU's were in the middle of a game and the CPU hadn't forced a shutdown. Would the GPU suffer a massive failure (IF it was being water cooled as well)?

No one has really documented all the different failure modes of WC setups. Hard to say exactly what would happen. HECK! If the coolant leaks onto the floor and hits a major appliance like a 110 lamp, you could have a fire if the breakdown voltage is too low!

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Yeah he's a moron...ROFL K

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I never have..There is bound to be a few though, but just like you said before a lot more have been fried by not using stand off's..There are plenty of people who could tear up a ball bearing with a rubber mallet, dont mean the ball bearing wasn't good though...

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitrevX

If you use a non-conductive fluild even if the waterblock fails your still ok. I don't think this guy has done enough research before he made that comment.

I managed to kill a HD & Burner with MCT-5. It did take 4 or 5 spills (the reason I hate reses) before they died, but it can still cook your gear.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Quote:

I managed to kill a HD & Burner with MCT-5. It did take 4 or 5 spills (the reason I hate reses) before they died, but it can still cook your gear.

When i made that last comment I wasn't considering parts like a HD or Burner. Just the fact they have mechanical parts and optics tells me any liquid would give them a bad day. I wouldn't care so much about the burner but the HD is priceless when you got important data on em..

In my situation. I wasn't worried about watercooling because in the end its just a game pc and nothing more.

So to reword my last statement, fluid XP+ shouldn't fry circut boards and things of that nature, lol

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
"Yes it's watercooling. According to rumours the top version (8800GTX) will have an air / water hybrid cooling. The first batches will have a regular air cooler, the hybrid will only be available later."

Got that from a different forum... Another person also claimed NVIDIA has said that was true, but I can't find any proof.

If thats correct, the first few shipments will only have air cooling for people that arnt going to OC, and then later in 2007 theyll release the water/air one for people wanting to OC. I've also read that the water will be self-looped so you won't need watercooling, you'll just have to refill the card every month or so.

And I hope this is true... because I don't want to watercool. (I've done it and I didn't really like it)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have seen a system or two lost to water cooling... BUT those people barely knew where the hell their power button was. And were using pre-made kits from some company nobody ever heard of. Never leak tested, and sure enough, murphy's law was made painfully obvious... a little common sense goes a long way with water cooling.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Loosing components or an entire system is entirely possible. I have no doubt that enough water on the right components\\area: that it will destroy anything in its path whilst still supplied with power. This is the problem we all have with computers as earth leakage\\fuses are not integrated at all on the standard system. As I am in the peltier game condensation is an issue and must be dealt with. Condensation is very pure and is supposed to be relatively non-conductive. I have pulled out CPU's that are sitting in a socket full of liquid with no problems. CPU rot is the problem but no shorting or failures. Who is willing to take the risk?- some but not many.

Myself I have been pretty careless in the past and have had many a spillage but to no avail. Now I make sure there is no chance of an issue. If I threw my computer into the bath tub surely it would be dead in an instant. Look at all of the mobile phones (cell phones) lost at many a party in the warmer weather.

Be careful and you should be OK for years.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Most watercool projects are successful and the fact companies make watercool products ranging from kits to parts for a custom loop proves its a common thing. I think if watercooling is such a disaster people wouldn't do it and those companies wouldn't exist. But like tuchan said you take your time and your not dumb enough to write your own FAQ on how to be a ****** you should be as qualified as anyone else to watercool..

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
I *almost* lost a brand new HP DVD burner to water- The barbs on my reservoir didn't seal properly and I spotted it purely out of dumb luck- Admiring the UV properties of antifreeze.

Use common sense, use my guide up top, and you will be all set

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn
I *almost* lost a brand new HP DVD burner to water- The barbs on my reservoir didn't seal properly and I spotted it purely out of dumb luck- Admiring the UV properties of antifreeze.

Use common sense, use my guide up top, and you will be all set

Was it the bay res that DD makes?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
GatorLCA lost his rig to a watercooling accident... I think a seal busted in an Apogee...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts