Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my share of experiences with mechanical keyboards including some ridiculously old ones as well. But as much as I love them, I've always preferred rubber domes in the end. Anyone else the same?

I'm also looking for a good keyboard that has individual key backlighting. I would like to customize each key. What keyboards are available? For how redonculously overpriced that logitech one is with the screen, I'm thinking of getting one. Wonder what it would be like with a LCD displaying stuff.

·
Linux > All
1,675 Posts
The only reason I use rubber dome is because I have yet to find a decent mechanical ergonomic split board. Otherwise I would be on a mechanical...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Always will use mechanical here:) Have 6 of them andlove them! My fav and main keyboard is a flico ninja 10keyless browns:) But ya there is some decent rubber domes out there like the dell quiet key which feels decent too me but ya its no mechanical.

Would love too try a topre keyboard but don't want too spend over 200$ just yet for a keyboard lol..

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
I almost exclusively use a rubber. The times I have done it mechanically kind of ruined the moment for me.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post

I almost exclusively use a rubber. The times I have done it mechanically kind of ruined the moment for me.
thumb.gif
I love you..... I'm crying right now that is so funny.

I use a rubber dome board because I cant find a mech keyboard that has all the features of my G510. I also don't really care. people give mech boards WAY to much hype IMO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
going from blackwidow back to my lycosa, i gotta admit, it isnt all that bad.
i like the shorter travel of the lycosa but i definitely miss how fast the keys bounce back
still prefer mechanical, but wouldnt kill me to use rubber either.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Im searching for a keyboard personally and wanted to try mechanical to see what the hype is, messed with a mionix zibal 60 at frys and LOVE the feel of black cherrys, if I could find a rubber dome with that feel it would be great. I really like the display on the logitech g510 but the keys feel mushy and kinda cheap in a way, it was a display one that im sure got beat up though. I have been gaming on and off since 2005 on pc and never treated myself to a nice keyboard.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

I love you..... I'm crying right now that is so funny.
I use a rubber dome board because I cant find a mech keyboard that has all the features of my G510. I also don't really care. people give mech boards WAY to much hype IMO.
I got a good laugh from that too.

Personally I thought maybe mechanical keyboards were just super hyped here on the forums but when I needed a new keyboard and the Black Widow popped up for ~$55 shipped I jumped on it. Best decision I could have made at that price point. Certainly this isn't the Rolls Royce of mech keyboards, it's probably the Honda Civic but the switches are perfect and it feels awesome.
My next keyboard will definitely be another mechanical, after having one of my own I hate typing on rubber domes. Now that I've gotten the feel of having a mechanical keyboard I can't wait to invest in a higher quality keyboard.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I had a mionix zibal 60 and the feel of the keys is much much better than what my domes were but way to heavy, so i went with a ducky shine brown board, it will be here wednesday, so I think overall ill be happy. Not sure if i care to much for domes anymore
frown.gif
The thing I dont like is how they are so solid at first but after the initial drop its just mush....

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
I've never used a board with Topre switches, so I can't say for sure that I prefer a mechanical over a rubber dome. Not including Topres, I prefer a mechanical over a rubber dome. It is preference and I'm sure there are plenty of people that prefer a good rubber dome board over a mechanical.

·
13,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post

thumb.gif
I think that's sigable
thumb.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Been all my life with mechanical keyboards and I love them, so I cant switch to a RD keyboard. Even though I have to use them a lot at work, I wont get used to them. And I dont want
tongue.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't tried all the swtich types, but favorite from what I have used is Topre. (Using a 87UW 45g at current)
Which I guess you can class as having a rubber dome.

Have used Cherry MX, Clear, Black, Blue, Brown.
Yet to try Reds out.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts