Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been doign [email protected] with OC.net forever but now I want to add in my Raspberry Pi's. They are sitting around doing nothing until I get off my behind and set them up as security cameras but I'm STILL!!! waiting on the pi.org to release the damn code for the piCam so I can get more than 8fps! (Side note.. anyone who has done this with Internet streaming and gets decent live streaming and can let me in on HOW please contact me!) I do have some questions though:

How hard is it to set up? I'm guessing not very.

How hard is it on the board? Board gets hot? Smoked a processor? Burned down my house, etc.

How many units do they actually analyze per day and is it worth it?

I'm assuming it's going to be comparable to my phone using BOINC.

Thoughts?

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
Subbing out of sheer curiosity about these devices.

EDIT: And all of a sudden I'm now contemplating the thought of picking up six or eight of these things, and letting them just run [email protected] as well as [email protected] (or other such projects).... Or fifteen of the little things and run 5x Einstein, SETI, and Universe.

... ....Researching these little guys is addicting, and potentially bad, lol!

·
An Internet Lurker
291 Posts
I have my Raspberry Pi B 2 running [email protected] I only have 2 out of 4 cores used so my media server doesn't choke, but it doesn't seem to get overly warm. Depending on the project and what else is running on it, you may need to limit how many cores you use because of RAM constraints (I had this issue when running [email protected]).

As far as speed comparison, I don't think the Raspberry Pi is nearly as fast as an Android phone. Just going by the specs, most Android phones do about 2+ GHz per core, while the Raspberry Pi 2 comes in at about 1 GHz per core. Android phones also typically have more than 1GB of RAM, though I'm not sure if that actually has an effect on processing time.

Is it worth it? It's not a bad deal for $35, but you could probably do better on a cheap Android phone or tablet as a BOINC-only device. But if you already have one, I'd say go for it, because there's no reason not to! More projects support Android than the Raspberry Pi, but the Pi is a lot easier to stick in a corner and forget about, and it's pretty darn useful.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
Some people have apparently had success recompiling source code to make it work on the Pi. Forgot who, but someone managed to get it working for [email protected] I believe on a Pi 3 and wound up getting a contributor badge for it.

Supposedly the Pi 3's are a LOT more competitive than the 2's were - so much so that some of the people running clusters of them didn't take too long to swap from the 2's to the 3's.

I'm still tempted to buy a handful of them (as well as the ODroid C2's, ODroid XU4's, UP Board 4GB/32GB x86, and perhaps even the UDOO x86 Advanced and/or Ultra) just to mess around with...

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
This talk of Raspberry Pi has me curious about something... I wonder if it's more reliable to use the WDLabs PiDrive kits instead of just the microSD cards.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts