Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the shroud and stuck (cable tied or similar) a couple of fans on their GTX 470?
Maybe this would drop temps by quite a lot..i did this with my old 8800 GT to good effect..though i'm a little reticent about trying it with my new 470 until i've seen someone else's attempts!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I tryed it. I used a Delta AFB1212VHE, very good results. With a 800/1600/1900 OC and unigine heaven in loop (8xAA and tesselation extreme). graphic card fan disconnected.

Delta fan set to minimum, 74ºc after 10 minutes.

Delta fan set to maximum, 61ºc after 10 minutes.

room temp 24º.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for uploading the pics..i'm going to try it soon..
Quick question though..would it be a good idea to use two fans strapped together so the the vrms are cooled also?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stacked fans are only usually good in servers as there is more room for air circulation. You'd be better off just having one fan unless there is enough room for good air circulation if you have two fans.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fail, those who chose AMD over Intel, fail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks..i meant to say having two fans side by side..not actually stacked on top of one another. If the video card fan was disconnected then having two fans side by side would cool both the chip and vrms.
Not sure if another fan is needed though as the nvidia heatsink might be enough to cool the vrms hence the question.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I didn't try with two fans, but the PCB had very good temp too. I think that the most important thing with this cooling is a huge air flow at the heatsink. The same air that cools the heatsink is going to cool the VRM plate, so I think you don't need a second fan for that plate.

As you can see, when I use the fan regulator to set the delta to the minimum voltaje of the regulator (I supose 6v), I have 13ºC more than with the 12v applied to the fan. At full speed is a ~130CFM fan. So it's possibly that a high CFM fan do better job that two regular CFM fans.

Well, here is other idea that I tryed last week. First I asked to a friend, that has get a MK13 heatsink for his 470, for his shroud. I bought a 9cm delta fan AFB0912HH and the single slot bracket used in the liquid cooled EVGA 470 FTW. My idea was to test if the famous high flow bracket was useful or not, and most of all, to see what happens if I attach the 9cm fan to the shroud, for helping the graphic card fan.

The single slot bracket needs some modifications:

I've cutted a hole over the heatsink of 4,5 X 9cm (air flow direction is not prependicular) and attached the fan.

And then I started the tests.

The enviroment was the same, except for the 8800 ultra that I use for physx (with the 120x38 fan it doesn't fit). the room with constant 24º with AA. Unigine Heaven in window 8xaa ande tesselation extreme loop, 800/950 OC, ten minutes per test.

here are the results:

With the unmodified shroud and the original bracket:

Max 82º Fan 84%

With the unmodified shroud and the modified single slot bracket:

Max 81º Fan 82%

With the modified shroud, the 9cm fan and the single slot bracket:

Max 75º Fan 77%

As you can see the EVGA high flow bracket seems to be unuseful, but that 9cm fan helps a lot. I supose that with the 9cm fan and the graphic card fan set to 84%, there would be a couple of grades improvement.

bye.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good work indeed..great temps amlett..

I think i will try the one fan route without cutting the plastic shroud and see how it goes. (not too keen on cutting original shroud!).

·
Registered
284 Posts
of course, I did it because I could get another one, so I didn't lose the warranty. I just was posting it because it seemed to me very interesting. In fact now I'm using it 24/7 xD

but I'm thinking in getting a Gelid Icy Vision one of these days.

Try the 1 fan no shroud option, as you can see, performes great.

·
Premium Member
7,040 Posts
I will be doing this with my 4870, the fans seem to be faulty (way too loud, even at idle). I'm thinking of just zip tying them, its simple and it isn't too messy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts