Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,953 Posts
I'm avoiding it. Speed isn't the most important thing to me. I'm using 52.3.0 ESR right now because I would lose most of my extensions with Firefox 57.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I´m using.... Up to now the speed is quite good ! No bug´s to me everything Ok !

Firefox x64 is a real challenger to the Chrome and Edge.

thumb.gif

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
Last time I tried v57 it was the same speed as v55 and prior that already have E10s for year or two. Where as v56 and v57 have changes to API and addons despite claiming support for v57 do not work anyway.
Locked at v55 waiting for addons and FF to get their stuff together and cooperate.

FF has been fine since moving to 64bit and especially after multi threading with E10s, didn't see any speed or memory reduction with the so often mentioned v57 with some fancy name given to it I don't remember quantum or what is it. It's the same as prior versions, just reskinned and addon API changed.

Hundreds of tabs work fine in v55, quick start up and exit, low memory foot print. Chrome can't do this, it doesn't have the settings and even if it had their multi threading is multi processing = R.I.P. RAM anyway.

So why would anyone use v57 now? Runs the same as older versions but addons don't support it yet.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,837 Posts
Naaah, in the Opera camp
smile.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

Naaah, in the Opera camp
smile.gif
I considered going back to Opera a little while back until I found out they got bought out by a Chinese company, no thanks.

I have been using Chrome primarily for a long time but Firefox 57 has been noticeably faster compared to FF 56.x and prior versions. It feels as fast if not faster than chrome doing the same stuff. I am likely going to shift to using it more and Chrome less, but in the long run I am going to use whatever browser is safest, fastest and most customization.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Chrome's been having issues for me with Youtube having choppy playback on fullscreen. HW Accel on or off. Nonexistent in this version of FF. Everything else was already pretty fast in chrome, but I'm definitely using FF now for my streaming, at least.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I'm avoiding it. Speed isn't the most important thing to me. I'm using 52.3.0 ESR right now because I would lose most of my extensions with Firefox 57.
Firefox 57 needs Noscript.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Updated on my work pc, a few of my extensions are gone, ublock origin still working though, pretty much the only extension i need at work
tongue.gif

Definitely loads quicker than the version I had before, not sure what that was though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Firefox 57 needs Noscript.
yeah i lost my noscript

I like the new menu, seems a bit better laid out.
Feels as fast as chrome to do most things, which never brought me over to chrome, but is nice.
tongue.gif

Themes are not that great, most i've tried (besides default and Light) make it pretty hard to see the text on the tabs.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
aside from noscript, what extensions do y'all use?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDC View Post

aside from noscript, what extensions do y'all use?
We could really use Ublock Origin!

·
Registered
706 Posts
FYI:
Quote:
Where's NoScript for Firefox 57 "Quantum"?

2017-11-14: We're working hard to make NoScript for Quantum available to you as soon as possible, even later today if we're lucky enough, and definitely by the end of this week.

Please be patient: if you feel naked while you're waiting for the "brand new" NoScript, you can still use the "regular" 5.x on Firefox ESR. See you soon!
https://noscript.net/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts