Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone use hard drive coolers, like not just blowing air accross, but something that attaches to the hard drive? i haven't ever used them, and i'd like to know if they warrant getting.

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
I find aiming a fan across them is plenty affective and less noisy. The small fans on the hard drive coolers tend to wear out their bearings and don't have a lot of airflow for the speed they spin at.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i've never used one, and i don't intend to, either. my case came w/ a bay that has a small fan run air across, so it's sufficient.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
I use the, dum dum dummmmm, Ultimate Hard Drive Cooler!!! ROAR!!!!

2 actually for my 74gb Raptors in raid. Its 2x40mm fan attached to a heatsink that makes some pretty good contact with the covered side of the hard drive; very nice

·
Registered
386 Posts
i used one but they kinda **** lol u want a good 1 not jus a cheap on that goes under the screws

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but do the performance gains justify spending the money?
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaYChE

i used one but they kinda **** lol u want a good 1 not jus a cheap on that goes under the screws

·
Registered
386 Posts
nah i wont go with a harddrive cooler unless u get a really good expensive one lol but its not worth it coz its not that much of a performace gain.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

anyone use hard drive coolers, like not just blowing air accross, but something that attaches to the hard drive? i haven't ever used them, and i'd like to know if they warrant getting.

yes i do!
its the coolermaster cool drive 4

does a good job cooling, not loud at all, and probably one of the nicest fan controllers you can have on a system

all in all, does a better than great job,.... look into it!

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaYChE

nah i wont go with a harddrive cooler unless u get a really good expensive one lol but its not worth it coz its not that much of a performace gain.

Its more of a safety issue then a performance issue. If your CPU or GPU overheats or gets hot, an alarm goes off or things slow down. If your hard drive overheats, you might corrupt/ruin your hard drive.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but it won't ever get hot enough to corrupt the data, no?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

Its more of a safety issue then a performance issue. If your CPU or GPU overheats or gets hot, an alarm goes off or things slow down. If your hard drive overheats, you might corrupt/ruin your hard drive.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
it might if theres some questionable engineering in a 7200rpm drive. It definitely will in a 10,000 RPM drive though at some point.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
I think the coolers are pointless... i don't worry too much....

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
well, since my 36gig raptors get hot becasue of the obuse, i do use coolers. i have 2 fasn flowing air by, but also both have vantec harddrive coolers with the 2 40mm fans and blue heatsink.....they work great, keep the drives at about 27* and arent loud either

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

well, since my 36gig raptors get hot becasue of the obuse, i do use coolers. i have 2 fasn flowing air by, but also both have vantec harddrive coolers with the 2 40mm fans and blue heatsink.....they work great, keep the drives at about 27* and arent loud either

i have no way to monitor temps at all, so i have no idea what my temp is... just got finished installing a rounded ide cable i made in 10 mins thanks to archer's guide and it looks great!

·
Registered
299 Posts
u cant exactly OC a hard disk so why bother paying more for the hard disk cooler. mind u i did see one in the city today for $10 bucks (australian dollars for u ignorent americans thats USD$7)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

i have no way to monitor temps at all, so i have no idea what my temp is... just got finished installing a rounded ide cable i made in 10 mins thanks to archer's guide and it looks great!

to monitor ur temps get a USD$50 monitoring lcd panel. they monitor everything from fans to temperatures u can even change fan levels

1 - 19 of 19 Posts