Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just remembered that there is a win 64 and it is designed for 64 bit cpus. for three years now ive had a 64 bit cpu but have never used windows 64.. is it even common for people to use win64 and if so, what advantages do they get using it? i ask because i thought the production of 64-bit processors was going to possibly make windows 64 a standard platform, but it doesnt seem to be that way at all.. anyone have any info on the subject?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
x64 is a good platform, and will give you more performance due to the fact that it fully supports the 64bit functionality. Cons of it are normally drivers however this is becoming much better.

BTW you may find this usefull

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversi...php/t7774.html

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I'm using Win64 exclusively (meaning no XP 32 bit installed, only Vista x86 RC1 for dual boot).

I found that in the last 8 months or so, the driver support has gone from mostly beta to true support. Drivers have been easy to find for me. Most programs work extremely well.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I play Far Cry 64, HL2 64, UT2K4 64, and I love the performance!!! Reg. games play just fine as well.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Every game I've played, every program I've used, every tweak and mod I've used for X64 is an echelon above 32-bit platforms. I'd say it's worth it. Games run smoothly and hone in your resources for them, thread counts are lower, and all the 32-bit interactions with 64-bit ones run at lower resource needs. x64 FTW

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yes. The fastest Windows-based platform of all time (IMO) is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 x64 Edition. I use that on almost all of my PCs. It is great. I also use XP Pro x64 on my laptop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i find x64 is better also, i just installed it on a dual boot the other day. Cause i have maya 8 which is now 64 bit. i cant find however any drivers for my linkseys wireless wmp54g. So i have no internet untill i can find some drivers. So any info for drivers for my wireless card i would appreciate greatly!

-Mark

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I use 64 bit, Ive only had minor problems, until recently... NO G80 drivers yet!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiagnosisDirt
View Post

http://www.planetamd64.com/
This place is packed with some cool 64 bit only stuff !

Yes! That is where I got most of my elusive drivers for my HP laptop! I definitely recommend it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i find x64 is better also, i just installed it on a dual boot the other day. Cause i have maya 8 which is now 64 bit. i cant find however any drivers for my linkseys wireless wmp54g. So i have no internet untill i can find some drivers. So any info for drivers for my wireless card i would appreciate greatly!

Wow I got my linksys wireless 2 work on windows 64 lets see if we can get yours 2 work I know u ain't running windows 64 but it might be the same process.
I think the chip which is on the linksys card is a ralink I know they use more than 1 chip but the 1 that is on mine is a ralink.
I went 2 start then 2 control then 2 sys
then 2 hardware then 2 device manager found the card that had a ? mark next 2 it called it a network adapter then forced a driver by clicking update driver.
it asked me to search for a driver but I clicked the button that said I will find it in the menu of drivers there is ralink I tested all of them and maybe half the drivers worked no matter the name of them... Right now I'm running a hawking hwp 54gr hi speed wireless driver on my windows 64 for a linksys card . hope this points u in the right direction ..

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cisf0rcalvin
View Post

If I get x64 can i still run my current Warcraft 3 on it?

Yes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts