Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a 360mm rad mounted in the back of their HAF 922? If so, explain to me how you mounted it, and if possible post a picture. If not, does anyone have any ideas of how to, and still keep it somewhat compact in size?

I want to mount it straight onto the back where the 120mm fan is supposed to go. I was thinking of mounting the existing 120mm fan on the exterior, then mounting one of the rad fans on top of that fan, with the rad mounted to the next 120mm fan. The rad would then hang down.

^^^That was really confusing, so here's a diagram of my plan:

Here is a photo of what the back of my HAF 922 looks like:

My plan is a push-pull configuration as you can see. The only problem is that the rad might cover up the Graphics I/O. Anyone think they might have a solution to that?

There are a lot of questions to answer here, but thanks to anyone who does post an opinion! Any opinions, or answers would be well-appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Your concern of a 360 rad covering up the output ports of the graphics card is valid. In your diagram, the gap between the case rear and the rad-fan is the thickness of a fan (25 or 38mm). This is too narrow to allow using a DVI connector to the graphics card.

Another 'problem' is that the lower portion of the rad-fan sits just outside the PSU whose exhaust will likely be sucked through the rad-fan. Obviously, this is not desirable.

To solve the gap problem, you might increase the distance by using a mounting mechanism. The pic 1 below is an example. I suggest you to do similarly to allow a wider gap. Using a mounting mechanism can also solve the PSU exhaust problem as well. Just move the rad-fan up 1 fan space. See pic 2 below for a demonstration. But, of course, this setup is not as compact as before. So, you will have to decide on this trade-off.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
I have 3 rigs with rads off the back as your picture shows.Sorry none are the case in question.The dvi is a bit close on all of them but still fits good.I mounted a 120mm to the back of the case and put a shroud between it and the rad.Other than it being a bit close to the back of the case it works good.I have been toying with the idea of adding a second shrould to one rig to see if there is a temp difference from getting cooler air.I have the case loaded with gpu's that put out a good bit of warm air into the rad.My temps on all 3 rigs are good but thinking I might get a few degrees less with it moved back a bit.2 rigs spacing behind is not a problem but 1 rig does not have the extra room.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,757 Posts
Also the video card may be exhausting hot air into part of your rad. Especially if it is a rear exhaust card.

• Rep+
Reactions: jetboy623

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
So the top would be double fans in the push position?
Yes
Quote:
Your concern of a 360 rad covering up the output ports of the graphics card is valid. In your diagram, the gap between the case rear and the rad-fan is the thickness of a fan (25 or 38mm). This is too narrow to allow using a DVI connector to the graphics card.

Another 'problem' is that the lower portion of the rad-fan sits just outside the PSU whose exhaust will likely be sucked through the rad-fan. Obviously, this is not desirable.

To solve the gap problem, you might increase the distance by using a mounting mechanism. The pic 1 below is an example. I suggest you to do similarly to allow a wider gap. Using a mounting mechanism can also solve the PSU exhaust problem as well. Just move the rad-fan up 1 fan space. See pic 2 below for a demonstration. But, of course, this setup is not as compact as before. So, you will have to decide on this trade-off
Okay, thanks for the explanation. Do you think I could move the rad-fan up 1 fan space without a mounting mechanism? In case your wondering, I have very limited desk space, so I need to keep it compact.
Quote:
I have 3 rigs with rads off the back as your picture shows.Sorry none are the case in question.The dvi is a bit close on all of them but still fits good.I mounted a 120mm to the back of the case and put a shroud between it and the rad.Other than it being a bit close to the back of the case it works good.I have been toying with the idea of adding a second shrould to one rig to see if there is a temp difference from getting cooler air.I have the case loaded with gpu's that put out a good bit of warm air into the rad.My temps on all 3 rigs are good but thinking I might get a few degrees less with it moved back a bit.2 rigs spacing behind is not a problem but 1 rig does not have the extra room.
Good to hear!!!
biggrin.gif
Thanks!
Quote:
Also the video card may be exhausting hot air into part of your rad. Especially if it is a rear exhaust card.
Yeah, I know. I might actually use the rad's fans to the gpu's advantage...
smile.gif

Thanks guys for your help!

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenback
View Post

could you not mount the rad on top of the case above the grill for he top fan?

HAF 922 has a 240mm rad space on the top, not a 360mm space. thanks anyways though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by henry9419
View Post

run a few screws through each foot and into any panel on the case...back top sidewhereever or leave it freestanding

define foot..

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy623;14171816
HAF 922 has a 240mm rad space on the top, not a 360mm space. thanks anyways though.
I ment outside the case on the top, as it seems you will have problems mounting it on the back.

Some1 on here put a rad on top with long screws so it stood away from the case, cann't find the pictures atm

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback;14176522
I ment outside the case on the top, as it seems you will have problems mounting it on the back.

Some1 on here put a rad on top with long screws so it stood away from the case, cann't find the pictures atm
Okay, but how would I mount it on the outside if there are only vents and screw slots for 240mm rads?
Quote:
those flat pieces sticking out to either side of the mount with the holes in them
Okay, I'l look into that/consider that. Thanks

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback;14179644
screw these to the the 240 slots
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10347/ex-rad-179/XSPC_Radiator_Mounting_Bracket_Set_-_632_Thread.html?tl=g30c95s162

connect bottom fans then rad
The rasa kit comes with these
Okay, I think I might do that, the only problem is that it would be extremely tall, and look completely outta place. But lemme see how tall it really would be first.
EDIT: Total height would be 125mm:eek: That's too tall. Do you know if they make any smaller brackets?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy623
View Post

Okay, I think I might do that, the only problem is that it would be extremely tall, and look completely outta place. But lemme see how tall it really would be first.

but being away from case you would get air to the fans.

Personally I don't like the look of rads outside case and would get a new case,
but I do understand some ppl don't have that option, or like the case they have

1 - 20 of 30 Posts