Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. Yesterday I managed to get a used AMD Liquid Cooler(same as the Antec Kuhler 920). I previously had a Hyper TX3 and as of now temps have decreased a lot. I see a 20c difference between the two. However, I'm from India and ambient temps are cooking up my liquid. How far would I be able to overclock with this liquid cooler when temps are - 104F - https://www.google.co.in/search?q=temp+in+kolkata&oq=temp+in+kol&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.2542j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Has anyone had this cooler or combo of cooler and chip? As of now my Liquid temp according to Chill control(Antec Software) is 41c. That's extremely high. On an average, what temp should the liquid actually be at? I'm looking to get the best performance from what I've got. So an suggestions would be gladly welcome.
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,172 Posts
your worrying about nothing with the liquid temp.
the liquid is going to get hot because its doing its job, its like saying i need hot water to wash up but it better be cold.
its not going to happen. the fluid is getting warm because its removing the heat from the cpu

the temp of the water is being measured at the pump. it then gets cycled to the rad, heat removed and back to the pump.
i would be bothered about the core and socket

so for example 40c at pump --- moves to rad --- fans take heat out temp changes to 20c ---- goes back to pump---- picks up heat ---goes to 40
(tems noted are examples)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does ambient temp affect liquid cooling alot? Say, if the ambient now is 41c will the core temps be higher than what it would be if the ambient temps were at 25c?
 

·
Adclock.net
Joined
·
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

Does ambient temp affect liquid cooling alot? Say, if the ambient now is 41c will the core temps be higher than what it would be if the ambient temps were at 25c?
It does have an effect on the system, But it's not as great as people make it out to be, i've gone from 20C ambient to 49C Ambient (Yes Celcius not american Fahrenheigt) And my system temps only raised 4C at full load.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

It does have an effect on the system, But it's not as great as people make it out to be, i've gone from 20C ambient to 49C Ambient (Yes Celcius not american Fahrenheigt) And my system temps only raised 4C at full load.
That's interesting. Never knew it could be like that.
 

·
Adclock.net
Joined
·
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

That's interesting. Never knew it could be like that.
I am not the greatest value of the norm Granted, Given i use 1500mm worth of rad space to now cool 1 card 1 cpu, But still point still stands.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageBrat View Post

Actually have the same setup my temps are a bit different from your mine avg. around 33 to 36 c, (liquid) and this is @4.5 ghz you can go into your settings chill control software and adjust your fans speeds as needed if your worried about the temp.
Using max speed and at load at 4.5Ghz the liquid goes upto 48c.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I am not the greatest value of the norm Granted, Given i use 1500mm worth of rad space to now cool 1 card 1 cpu, But still point still stands.
I would hesitate to dismiss the theory that ambient temp affects cooling temperatures by more than a miniscule amount if your running 1500mm worth of rad space for 2 pieces of hardware, since your probably in the 1% of people on OCN who have that much rad space overkill.

The majority of users who run 120mm per piece of hardware will likely notice a bigger difference in temps when going from such low to high ambient temperatures. Also I notice you say your temps only rose by 4C, which doesn't sound right. Because your pc can only be as cool as the ambient, so either your temperatures started off ridiculously high, or your lying because when your ambient is 49C your pc components cannot be lower than that.

Please explain the last point in bold/
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ran 10 rounds of IBT AVX at Very High with 90% ram usage. My vdroop is bad as on idle its at 1.41v and at load it dips down to 1.368v. Here's a screenshot.


Should I stop here or go any higher?
 

·
Adclock.net
Joined
·
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

I would hesitate to dismiss the theory that ambient temp affects cooling temperatures by more than a miniscule amount if your running 1500mm worth of rad space for 2 pieces of hardware, since your probably in the 1% of people on OCN who have that much rad space overkill.

The majority of users who run 120mm per piece of hardware will likely notice a bigger difference in temps when going from such low to high ambient temperatures. Also I notice you say your temps only rose by 4C, which doesn't sound right. Because your pc can only be as cool as the ambient, so either your temperatures started off ridiculously high, or your lying because when your ambient is 49C your pc components cannot be lower than that.

Please explain the last point in bold/
I could go into a high lengthy explaination but, Ambient temp =/= Water temp.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I could go into a high lengthy explaination but, Ambient temp =/= Water temp.
So what were your PC tempatures at 20C ambient and 49C ambient? Im having a very hard time believing they only rose by 4C...in fact I dont think its possible.
 

·
Adclock.net
Joined
·
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

So what were your PC tempatures at 20C ambient and 49C ambient? Im having a very hard time believing they only rose by 4C...in fact I dont think its possible.
Given there is about 10-15 litres of water in my loop it's entirely possible, Large bodies of water take a large amount of energy to heat up, Otherwise the ocean would be constantly boiling and your local pool would evaporate hundreds of liters per day
 
1 - 20 of 149 Posts
Top