Overclock.net banner

Anything on par with Arctic LF2 420, for the price ?

1072 9
My air cooler can't handle the power of my lapped i7-12700k OC, and I was thinking of getting a NH-D15, they are good, and pretty cheap.

But then after seeing how much power these chips can use, and for some future proofing, I see something like a Artic LF2 420 beats the Noctua by ~10C on some 200W CPU, and is about the same volume, ~45dB

A full WC setup is a lot more time and money than I'm looking spend, anything else I should be looking at, or warnings about the ALF2 420 ? How long do these tend to last ? I could repair/fix fans and pumps, so I don't mind that. I could even add my own, external pump speed warning.

Case size is not really a consideration, I could put it all in a box, or shelf/desk. Is there any air-cooling on par with the good 360-420 AIO's ?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
I've been using a few different AIOs on 12900K, and now transitioning to water. In my case, the ALF 2 out-performed both Z73 and Ryujin II 360s by about 5 degrees...flatter contact probably for one thing.

· Registered
44 Posts
I've been using a few different AIOs on 12900K, and now transitioning to water. In my case, the ALF 2 out-performed both Z73 and Ryujin II 360s by about 5 degrees...flatter contact probably for one thing.
12900k is not flat, especially after being inside the socket. If anything asetek coolers have an advantage over flat coolers due to the convex waterblock contact.

· Registered
187 Posts
Yep, which is why I did the washer mod and later installed TG socket frame (minus mod) before using ALF 2 360 and then 480. The bending damage has been done and needs a lapping, but to me, wasted further effort on a mediocre SP82. Have another daily so moving on to loop in prep for 13900K or good 12900ks if opportunity arises.

· Registered
44 Posts
Yep, which is why I did the washer mod and later installed TG socket frame (minus mod) before using ALF 2 360 and then 480. The bending damage has been done and needs a lapping, but to me, wasted further effort on a mediocre SP82. Have another daily so moving on to loop in prep for 13900K or good 12900ks if opportunity arises.
480? is that arctic 420mm or 480mm radiator? If 360 to 420 arctic how much of a performance gain did you experience?

· Registered
187 Posts
480? is that arctic 420mm or 480mm radiator? If 360 to 420 arctic how much of a performance gain did you experience?
Right...420mm. Went directly to push/pull with 360 so can't make straight comparison. Otherwise push/pull 360 and 420 were about the same. My comparison is made strictly by how hot a rogue #7 P core was getting after numerous 10min CB23 runs with same settings and many remounts on both.

· Registered
44 Posts
Right...420mm. Went directly to push/pull with 360 so can't make straight comparison. Otherwise push/pull 360 and 420 were about the same. My comparison is made strictly by how hot a rogue #7 P core was getting after numerous 10min CB23 runs with same settings and many remounts on both.
I may buy a p500a + arctic 420mm and do a push pull with arctic p14 fans. Corsair h170i is an option too buy does cost in the region 1.7.-1.9x more. Waiting for 13th gen before I make any decisions.

· Registered
187 Posts
I may buy a p500a + arctic 420mm and do a push pull with arctic p14 fans. Corsair h170i is an option too buy does cost in the region 1.7.-1.9x more. Waiting for 13th gen before I make any decisions.
Good case choice for AIO imo. Coincidentally have been using a p500a performance (non-rgb) with ADL and loving it. P/P for 420 is super tight for bottom pull fan, top 2 pull no issue. 3 x140s won't fit between mounting frame and front mesh, 3 x 120s will.

· Registered
44 Posts
Good case choice for AIO imo. Coincidentally have been using a p500a performance (non-rgb) with ADL and loving it. P/P for 420 is super tight for bottom pull fan, top 2 pull no issue. 3 x140s won't fit between mounting frame and front mesh, 3 x 120s will.
I believe you can do a mod to enable you to mount 3 140s in the front. There is a video on youtube somewhere. Worst case scenario 5 fans still good :)

· Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here in Canada the ALF2 420 RGB (140mm fans) is at Memory Express at about the same price as the 360 everywhere else. It's not sold here much I guess.

Hey but I just got the Thermalright LGA17XX-BCF clamp, and their TX7 TIM. It's like wax, so it was weird putting it on, I couldn't spread it myself, so IDK how much I got on there, I'm too sick of taking my silver arrow apart, what a pain.
Font Technology Engineering Electronic device Electronic engineering

I lapped the CPU a bit more too, almost all copper showing now. (stock picture, I got the red 1, reminds me of a Ferrari engine or something)

But I got a great improvement in temps, I was stuck at 150/160W w/ my current settings, but with reasonable temps overall I guess. But now, I'm back up to 170/180W, with faster settings, and a bit more overhead left, and lot's of fine tuning.

Here's before and after I had my ram turned down for a memtest, 50P-40E-40R 3800CL16 G1, AVX os=0
and now at 51-40-40 4000, I got my best single run, multi-core CBR23 score yet, and stayed under 90 in short P95 small FFT run. That's into 12900k stock levels, for lots of slower ram kits anyways.

I set some records on CPUz validation, that's a real life achievement.
Photograph Font Line Screenshot Terrestrial plant

Font Screenshot Software Terrestrial plant Rectangle

My fans are old tho, and this cooler is a nightmare to bolt down, and it twists in place too easy, like it did this time.

I need it for my other PC, so I'll still get the 360 or 420, and then I'll try not to burn out my CPU !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.