Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was just getting a few errors. My windows wasn't booting, then I'd get an error msg "OS not found" and then my SSD wasn't even being detected in BIOS !

Now, I ran win10 repair and got it working. But, a few files are missing/corrupt. I just went to run CHKDSK and immediately "errors found". I'll do a file scan on reboot.

I have a samsung pro 840 from maybe 2 years ago? I have used it quite extensively and did format twice recently using Secure Erase when I bought windows 10.

Anyhow,
1) Is it normal for SSDs to have problems after 2 years? Am I to blame ?

2) Any steps I can take to try to fix it? Any tools you'd use?

Funnily enough: my transfer speeds are still normal/fast.

But , SSD ready says my estimated SSD remaining is only 9 months. ha.

Cheers guys !

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Have you tried another SATA port?
Have you tried another cable?
Have you tried the Marvell controller?
Updated the motherboard's BIOS?
Updated the EVO's Firmware?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Have you tried another SATA port?
Have you tried another cable?
Have you tried the Marvell controller?
Updated the motherboard's BIOS?
Updated the EVO's Firmware?
Thanks for the reply !

1. No and no (another port/another cable).
2. Sorry, I'm a noob. Marvel controller? I just know it's plugged into a sata3 port.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. Although, how can I check my current firmware for my SSD?

JUST REALIZED I AM NOT IN AHCI MODE. I will correct this soon.

- Approx remaining SSD life is now : 23 days !

speed results from speed magician:
seq read: 266mb. - seq write: 130mb
random read: 6875 - random write: 12020

Edit: Sorry, it's PRO not EVO. and, all MB drivers are uptodate.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2124 View Post

Thanks for the reply !

1. No and no (another port/another cable).
2. Sorry, I'm a noob. Marvel controller? I just know it's plugged into a sata3 port.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. Although, how can I check my current firmware for my SSD?
Some ports are handled by the Intel controller. Other ports are handled by Marvell. SATA ports are often different colour to show which is which. Check the Motherboard manual to identify the ports.

Check firmware by installing Samsung Magician.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Some ports are handled by the Intel controller. Other ports are handled by Marvell. SATA ports are often different colour to show which is which. Check the Motherboard manual to identify the ports.

Check firmware by installing Samsung Magician.
Thanks Bradley.

Yes, I see I have 6 sata ports, 2 of which are white (sata3) which are correctly connected to my SSD. Yup, latest firmware.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Bradley.

Yes, I see I have 6 sata ports, 2 of which are white (sata3) which are correctly connected to my SSD. Yup, latest firmware.
Try a different port and cable.
Also what tool did you use to erase the SSD?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Parted Magic - secure erase.

Okay, will do and will report back.
Enhanced or standard erase in parted magic?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Standard erase if using parted magic is good.

Op mentioned he is not in achi mode, that only leaves raid or, gasp... IDE... which is it?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooRules View Post

Standard erase if using parted magic is good.

Op mentioned he is not in achi mode, that only leaves raid or, gasp... IDE... which is it?
Raid or IDE would not cause SSD cut outs and corruption with the OS, so at this point is does not matter really. If it's set to Raid, SSD's not in an array run in AHCI mode as default.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,

Good news !

I used the SSD utility from samsung + a few other SSD tools. They did things like increase stability, defrag, optimize and what not.

Everything is running smoothly now. =D Such a relief.

One last concern : I am in IDE... whenever I change the BIOS settings it crashes. Obviously, I'm cluelss.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1620/p67a-ud7-b3-bios-10.jpg - I put them into AHCI but for some reason my BIOS doesn't like that.... Can someone tell me exactly which settings should be AHCI ?

Also, samsung magician says "unable to detect sata interface details " which is funny because another tool has confirmed I'm in Sata3.

Cheers guys !!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Save the data you want to save.

RMA the drive, get a brand new one from samsung.

There, drive is fixed and get a brand new one to boot, all for free.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:

Hey guys,

Good news !

I used the SSD utility from samsung + a few other SSD tools. They did things like increase stability, defrag, optimize and what not.

Everything is running smoothly now. =D Such a relief.

One last concern : I am in IDE... whenever I change the BIOS settings it crashes. Obviously, I'm cluelss.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1620/p67a-ud7-b3-bios-10.jpg - I put them into AHCI but for some reason my BIOS doesn't like that.... Can someone tell me exactly which settings should be AHCI ?

Also, samsung magician says "unable to detect sata interface details " which is funny because another tool has confirmed I'm in Sata3.

Cheers guys !!!
Um, you don't 'defrag' an SSD. defragging only applies to mechanical hard drives, where if the data you are looking for isn't all placed in sequential rings on the platter, the hard drive head needs to move, causing increased time in reading (or writing if it has to write to multiple places). In SSD, there are no wait periods waiting for mechanical parts to be in the correct place. The SSD controller just reads from the NAND cells instantly because it has instant access to all the data all the time. By 'defragging' an SSD, you are just needlessly causing wear on it, causing it to fail sooner, because you can only write a limited amount of times to a NAND cell before it fails.

As far as crashing when you switch from IDE mode to AHCI, it crashes because the OS is loading the drivers required for IDE, but when the BIOS says "no this is an AHCI drive", the OS doesnt know what to do and crashes. The only way to fix this is to reinstall your OS after you already switched to AHCI mode. You can't reinstall from inside the OS when you do this. You will need reinstallation media (a dvd or usb with windows setup on it) check posts below

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooRules View Post

You do not have to reinstall OS to move from IDE to achi mode. Procedure is in link above.
ok, thats news to me. Always thought you were SOL.

OP might not know there was a link to begin with and/or still cant find it, so here.

You can use the MS Fix it tool or edit the registry yourself.

Link to tool here: (link)

Regedit:
  1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
  3. Now type Regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window. (If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.)
  4. Locate and then click the following registry sub key:

Code:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci
  5. In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
  8. Restart your computer
  9. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot
  10. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

·
Politically incorrect
9,399 Posts
This is the first time I've heard cells in the 840 corrupting so early. My own 840 120 is 3 years old now and has had 22 TB written to it. If yours is defective Samsung should give you a new one as these drives have 3 years guarantee.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts