Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sir Loin
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm doing a back up and its so slow its been running over 13 hrs now and only 50%. Anything i can do to speed it while its running?
its being backed up to an external drive.

·
Sir Loin
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Processor AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3837 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer MSI
64 bit

Sorry, my brother left for work. He left me to figure this out unfortunately. He has a custom build, where else can I find the specs you need?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
With as little information as there is, there is no way to tell if the backup is even slow.
What is the size of the backup? How is the external HD connected?
What is the source of the backup? By that I mean, is it a hard drive that is also the primary drive of the computer and the computer is doing a bunch of other tasks? Is it coming from an SSD or an HDD? Is the source coming from an extra drive that is used only for storage on the computer?

Is the destination of the backup doing anything other than receiving this backup data? Is anyone else accessing it or processing any other tasks on this same drive? What type of drive is it?

This will help us guide you in the right direction if you can answer some of these questions.

Thanks,
§

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My guess is that you have a mechanical hard drive as the source that is also the system's primary drive. The destination drive is probably connected through a USB 2.0 interface which is likely to be your bottleneck. The destination drive, probably also a mechanical drive, should still easily be able to write the data at a pace enough to speed things along. By that I mean 100MB/s at least. The USB2.0 will likely only get you 32MB/s max on a transfer. So if you are only half way done after 13 hours, you are likely transferring over 1TB of data or your speed is on the low side.

What is the speed of the transfer you see?

§

·
Sir Loin
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The size is unavailable. Yes, its has a 2.0 USB connection to a Seagate external. Currently it is 697GB free of 994GB, transfer is at 63%. Very minimal tasks running in the background, just a couple tabs open for internet. The external is only receiving. There is however a second external plugged into the tower, should I unplug it to possibly relieve some confusion or added running?

·
Sir Loin
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we im home, so guess i clean the messy conversation. Its move from a 1tb Seagate hdd to a 3tb seagate hhd on a usb 2.0 interface. and yea you guessed its a 1tb of data. anyways i just fill like i could have copy n paste everything that i needed faster than doing the backup through windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts