pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

$500 for this monitor seems like a pretty great deal, or am I wrong?

http://www.aocmonitorap.com/v2015/au/product_display.php?id=5155

Well hate to be the one but im going to say no.

AOC IMO is a lesser brand and seeing how the Samsung and LG 4k Freesync displays are the same price I honestly dont see this being the choice to be made.

(The Samsung is 540 but can be found for 500, The LG is 499 and IPS)

Edit: It uses the same panel as the Samsung, Has the same refresh rate as the Samsung, Has no VESA like the Samsung all things considered I would pay the extra 40 for the Samsung.

If it was priced at 400 like I have seen some reviews say it would be then this convo would be different

Edit Again: umm new egg has it for 329 which is a smoking deal where did you see 500?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH3N88597

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even see that Newegg had a deal on it for that price.
I'm about to pull the trigger on it @ $329 with ShopRunner shipping, any reason not to?

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

I'm about to pull the trigger on it @ $329 with ShopRunner shipping, any reason not to?
Na for 329 and the same panel as my sammy thats a steal
smile.gif

·
AMD fan
1,845 Posts
Hold up! isn't this a TN panel?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:

Reasons:

1) It's TN
2) 28" and 4k will require scaling 32" is a nice sweet spot where most people won't need to use any scaling
3) No VESA mounts

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Reasons:

1) It's TN
2) 28" and 4k will require scaling 32" is a nice sweet spot where most people won't need to use any scaling
3) No VESA mounts
I'm on an Asus PB278Q right now, but I'm interested in 4K and definitely want to use Freesync.
Do you mean scaling for desktop work or what? I'm fine with no VESA mount.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

I'm on an Asus PB278Q right now, but I'm interested in 4K and definitely want to use Freesync.
Do you mean scaling for desktop work or what? I'm fine with no VESA mount.
Yes he means scaling the interface for windows. I assumed that you wanted to game? Thats why freesync?

So as what it is a Gaming monitor its the best bet, you don't need 4k windows. This TN panel has very good color reproduction and an IPS panel while having better also has a whole lot of lag. If your doing Real Work and not gaming than IPS 32 is also my suggestion if your Gaming then TN Freesync is money. If your doing both I would buy both.

There is some very nice work monitors that are IPS have amazing color reproduction and are 32 inches they also cost north of 1500 dollars and have 30ms+ lag and are horrid for gaming.

If your doing both and cant afford both, then I would look at the LG Freesync monitor it is 499 it is IPS and it has high input lag. It is only 28 inchs though.

Also dont know why he would say TN is a reason not too when he is using TN himself lol.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The price isn't an issue at all, I've just been waiting for a Freesync monitor that appeals to me (and I waited too long to jump on that Acer 1440p Freesync monitor on Black Friday), so 4k + Freesync + high quality display + low price seems almost too good to be true.

I'm going to jump on it I think.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

The price isn't an issue at all, I've just been waiting for a Freesync monitor that appeals to me (and I waited too long to jump on that Acer 1440p Freesync monitor on Black Friday), so 4k + Freesync + high quality display + low price seems almost too good to be true.

I'm going to jump on it I think.
I would
smile.gif
I am debating buying 3 myself
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiman View Post

Hold up! isn't this a TN panel?
Whats up with everyone's gripes about TN?

But yes its one of the new 10bit TNs has good color but not IPS good, Has 1ms response time vs the 30s you get from IPS. Trade offs my dear Watson Trade offs.

And before I get flamed for saying 30
smile.gif
I know that IPS has made strides in that direction, However even the best IPS gaming panels like the ASUS MG279Q has 13.7ms lag where as this TN has 8.7ms that may not seem like much but it can be.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Order Summary

Sales Order Number: 30138****
Sales Order Date: 1/1/2016 11:28:38 AM
Shipping Method: ShopRunner 2Day

1 x ($329.99) AOC U2879VF Black 28" 1ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20,000,000:1 $329.99
1 x (-$100.00) Redeem GC 0****93798704982-$100.00
Subtotal: $229.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $229.99
I had a $100 Newegg gift card sitting around, $230 for a 4k freesync monitor is OK in my book.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
783 Posts
Seems like a steal to me.
Congrats dude.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received my monitor today.

I really love it already; the stand is kind of chintzy, but the display is crisp and Freesync is totally noticeable. I feel like my Fury X is actually having to work now (I know it did @ 1440, but still) and while I drop into the 40s playing GTA 5, everything is ridiculously smooth and creamy.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

I received my monitor today.

I really love it already; the stand is kind of chintzy, but the display is crisp and Freesync is totally noticeable. I feel like my Fury X is actually having to work now (I know it did @ 1440, but still) and while I drop into the 40s playing GTA 5, everything is ridiculously smooth and creamy.
Cool
smile.gif
glad you are enjoying it. I am not sure about that monitor but I think you can mod the freesync range. I know that panel supports it but not sure how to do it with that monitor.

Basically you can increase freesync range to 35-60 maybe even lower
smile.gif

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post

Cool
smile.gif
glad you are enjoying it. I am not sure about that monitor but I think you can mod the freesync range. I know that panel supports it but not sure how to do it with that monitor.

Basically you can increase freesync range to 35-60 maybe even lower
smile.gif
Nice, I may look into that in the future.
thumb.gif

·
Water-cooler
1,721 Posts
I may have to check into this... Especially for 349! I'm on a 2560x1440 IPS at the moment and have wanted to make the switch to 4k and free sync. How does this compare to an IPS? I know this is one of the new 10 bit TFTs but I can't seem to find any comparisons.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBrock View Post

I may have to check into this... Especially for 349! I'm on a 2560x1440 IPS at the moment and have wanted to make the switch to 4k and free sync. How does this compare to an IPS? I know this is one of the new 10 bit TFTs but I can't seem to find any comparisons.
It is not 349 anymore that was on sale, its 433 on new egg now. It uses the same panel as the Samsung, as far as it vs IPS its better than a regular TN but not as good as IPS. If not having IPS issues are important than this is the best you can get (short of OLED which would be ungodly expensive)
thumb.gif

Honestly I think a lot of screen selection has to do with use scenario and that hype clouds that. I think I said that earlier in here, If you are doing work that requires perfect color reproduction then IPS is the only way to go. If you are gaming, then the drawbacks are not really worth the "Perfect color" because honestly in a game how much does that really matter?

If your playing a fast action game at 4k with immense realism how much do you really think you will notice the colors being slightly off. I cant speak for everyone but if I am fighting a dragon in skyrim, or running from enemies shooting at me in battlefield the last thing on my mind is is that shade of black over there correct.

If you really want IPS however there is an LG 4k Fressync monitor for around the same price that is IPS.

·
Water-cooler
1,721 Posts

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Quote:

According to New Egg and Micro Center it is still $349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160278&cm_re=U2879VF-_-24-160-278-_-Product

http://www.microcenter.com/product/457904/U2879VF_28_FreeSync_4K_LED_Monitor

I think I might order one when I get paid Friday.

Like you said the colors aren't a huge deal to me...it is nice though having IPS but I would have to agree it's not a deal breaker for 4k and Free Sync.
Hmm that is strange I went ot the newegg link from earlier and it said 433 strange
smile.gif
ya its a killer deal at 349.

Edit: my link from earlier is on newegg but its a 3rd party seller.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

According to New Egg and Micro Center it is still $349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160278&cm_re=U2879VF-_-24-160-278-_-Product

http://www.microcenter.com/product/457904/U2879VF_28_FreeSync_4K_LED_Monitor

I think I might order one when I get paid Friday.

Like you said the colors aren't a huge deal to me...it is nice though having IPS but I would have to agree it's not a deal breaker for 4k and Free Sync.
$349 is worth every dime.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts