Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently did a build with a Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti Extreme edition in a Corsair Carbide Air (the cube) and the Asus PRIME B350M-A board. I use it for editing videos and I have seen this happened twice which worries me:
. Basically during somewhat of a CPU intensive tasks, only very rarely, the LED starts to blink while I lose all video signals to my monitor. The CPU/case fan would seem to be running flat out.

I read around and people say it's a PSU problem when LEDs behind the power cables blink. But there are no LEDs there that blinks, and I have a Corsair CS650 power supply. Further than that, I have found no other relevant information on this.

Does anyone know what's causing this and how it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance,
Brendan

·
Registered
241 Posts
You have a graphics card that requires 600W, and from what I can tell a board that supports Ryzen 7 with the least power hungry processor being the 1700 at 95W.

PSU > total wattage

650 < 695

Quick estimations but it looks like you're underpowered, especially when you use the CPU heavily.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I had a quick look on the AORUS's website, it says it requires a 500W PSU, which is what I got. I run a Ryzen 7 1800X @ constant 4GHz which takes up less than 350W. And this tells me the 1080 Ti takes up no more than 150W: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-6.html

Isn't that just 500W (as recommended by Gigabyte)? With other peripherals like the water cooler etc., I still don't see how 650W is not enough though?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenchen View Post

Here's a bit more on the calculations just to double check my expected power consumption: https://outervision.com/b/cSm1FM
Take the information from these calculators with a grain a salt my friend they can jump around quite a bit if you go to different ones. I would think 650 would be a close call but should work, does your PSU meet the required AMPs? Maybe pick up a killawatt to see what you are drawing might help somewhat just to let you know how close to max wattage you, now remember it will be higher than your PSU rated power due to it being the input wattage vs output wattage. One other thing maybe set the OC to back to default just to see if reduced wattage used by the cpu will stop the issue if it is a lack of power issue for the gpu. I will say this the 1080ti cards love power man

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:

But I had a quick look on the AORUS's website, it says it requires a 500W PSU, which is what I got. I run a Ryzen 7 1800X @ constant 4GHz which takes up less than 350W. And this tells me the 1080 Ti takes up no more than 150W: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-6.html

Isn't that just 500W (as recommended by Gigabyte)? With other peripherals like the water cooler etc., I still don't see how 650W is not enough though?
The 1080 Ti reference models consume 250 watts, and use every bit of 300 when you let them. The Aorus cards consume any where from 250 to 375 watts. If you are on the newest Aorus BIOS this number has been reduced to 250 Watts, but previous models used 300 or of the box. If your system is at 350 watts with no GPU load, when the GPU kicks in you are at or above 650 watts.

You will need to drop the power consumption of your system. Either set the power target for the GPU lower to around 75 percent, or drop your CPU over clock, or both. You might want to consider investing in a bigger power supply going forward if neither of these options is palatable as it sounds like you are close to tripping over current protection on the power supply. A tiny bit more load and your system will start turning off. This isn't a good position to be in. It's hard on every one of your components

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

The 1080 Ti reference models consume 250 watts, and use every bit of 300 when you let them. The Aorus cards consume any where from 250 to 375 watts. If you are on the newest Aorus BIOS this number has been reduced to 250 Watts, but previous models used 300 or of the box. If your system is at 350 watts with no GPU load, when the GPU kicks in you are at or above 650 watts.

You will need to drop the power consumption of your system. Either set the power target for the GPU lower to around 75 percent, or drop your CPU over clock, or both. You might want to consider investing in a bigger power supply going forward if neither of these options is palatable as it sounds like you are close to tripping over current protection on the power supply. A tiny bit more load and your system will start turning off. This isn't a good position to be in. It's hard on every one of your components
Thanks for the clear explanation! I don't mind getting a new PSU, in fact, if that solves the problem, I'm more than happy to get a bigger one. What would you recommend? Corsair 750? 850? I'm looking to overclock it even more to be honest, but everytime I turn anything up (RAM, at the moment it's at 2133, CPU to anything about 4.0GHz), the system won't boot.

I called up tech support from the shop I got the parts from, he said it could be the GPU PCI-E plugs are not in properly (which I doubt), or that there's bit of a flex in the MB because I'm actually jamming the case side panel on as the GPU is too wide. But if all that is is PSU, I'll get one today!

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,133 Posts
You need a better quality psu the cs650 is cheap for a reason. I recommend seasonic focus plus or evga g2/g3 a 550w/650w should be fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

You need a better quality psu the cs650 is cheap for a reason. I recommend seasonic focus plus a 550w should be fine.
Most of the responses here has been a lack of power even for a 650W PSU, you sure 550W is going to be sufficient?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,133 Posts
Quote:

Most of the responses here has been a lack of power even for a 650W PSU, you sure 550W is going to be sufficient?
I think a good quality 550w should work fine. However I'd ecommend a little headroom if you are overclocking so a 650w should be plenty. Unless you are overvolting the gpu then maybe a 750 to 850. But you don't need a 750w normally for a single gpu.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

I think a good quality 550w should work fine. However I'd ecommend a little headroom if you are overclocking so a 650w should be plenty. Unless you are overvolting the gpu then maybe a 750 to 850. But you don't need a 750w normally for a single gpu.
I will be overclocking the CPU, do I need an 850W for that? Not looking to OC the GPU.

In my local shop there's only a Corsair TX750M, but there's an HX850i. Will the HX850i be overkill in my case?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:

tongue.gif

I will be overclocking the CPU, do I need an 850W for that? Not looking to OC the GPU.

In my local shop there's only a Corsair TX750M, but there's an HX850i. Will the HX850i be overkill in my case?
Birth of those would be good choices. The AX series is really nice, but rather pricy. In this case it would only be needed if you have a ton of rotating disks or other loads, or if you want fully modular connectors. Your CPU should fall somewhere between 250 and 350 watts depending on how hard you flog it. If you let the GPU run wild it can only go up to 375W, so CPU + GPU fit within 750 watts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A very good investment, is a kill-a-watt. This will show a higher load than your PSU due to inefficiencies but it will give you a general idea of what your load is.

My 1080 HOF can pull around 300W from the wall, so around 280W at the PSU.

Is there anyway you can severely underclock your CPU and see if this problem still persists?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,133 Posts
Quote:

tongue.gif

Well you don't really need more then 650w. But if that is all you have to chose from. Is the TX750M the 2017 model? "2017 model has a white label and white fan" If it isn't id go for the HX850i...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts