Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to find a workaround to this problem that the Accelero IV cooler's heatpipe is being obstructed by the HDMI port housing which prevents the cooler from from attaching completely to the card.

Here is top view of the issue:

I don't think taking a dremel to the heat pipe would work since that would destroy the heat pipe since there is water inside.

One possible option is de-soldering the dual HDMI port housing that is causing the conflict, however I am unsure if my card will work if I take a heatgun to de-solder the unit. This would most likely be a one way operation since the solder points are super tiny and beyond my skill set to re-solder (I only use DP so HDMI is unused anyway). Solder points are here:

If anyone can confirm that my card will still work and boot even without the dual HDMI ports present in the back, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if there are other options I may have not considered, I'd welcome the suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

-fuz

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,171 Posts
surely it would make more sense to just return the cooler and get a Morpheus II or a NXZT G12 :confused:

the card will function fine without HDMI so long as you don't damage anything while removing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close the loop should anyone ever come across this problem in the future.

So I got the Morpheus II cooler and tried it. It was pretty good until the heatsinks started falling off the VRMs after a few days. The odd thing is that the stock heatsink that comes with the Aorus is pretty massive so I did some research. I came across this LTT video about replacing the stock coolers with Noctua fans. I wish I could have enough room to use a D15 on my GPU but that may be a future project.

I decided to remove the shroud and fans off of the Aorus heatsink. Attached dual NF-A12x25s with zip ties. Unfortunately there is no horizontal bar like there is on the Strix card to have a tight loop on the zip ties. Looks super ghetto but it works. I am happy.

I got a reduction of about 10C after reapplying thermal paste (TG Kryonaut) and adding the Noctua fans. Any excuse to buy more Noctua fans is fine with me... :thumbsups

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,171 Posts
the ones that came on with my cooler are still holding on okay. I only had to use them for my VRM though, I could keep my stock "front plate" that covers the VRAM.

cool you figured out a solution though, certainly is safer than desoldering the HDMI :laughings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts