Overclock.net banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,106 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are there any details what Intel cpu is used? If its Whiskey Lake then it is shielded.
Shielded from what? Whiskey Lake may have hardware fixes for Meltdown and Spectre but certainly is not shielded from all the new MDS just announced. And whilst there is microcode updates and OS updates to address some of the new MDS vulnerabilities, these alone will not inoculate you from attack. Disabling HT as well provides the best protection you can hope for. https://mdsattacks.com/ Has an FAQ half way down page. Worth a read.

And, fun fact: 9th-generation processors, despite their in-silicon mitigations for Meltdown, are ironically more vulnerable to some of the newly announced MDS attacks compared to older generation hardware!

·
Zen
1,107 Posts
You have to go inside the terminal to enable full mitigation. No Inspectre like app.
Yeah...reason I said if you actually enable the full migration. Looking like band-aid solution atm.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Thank the ever-loving FSM. Touchscreens are disgusting, which could probably be overlooked if they didn't create so much cognitive dissonance, decreased productivity, and massive ergonomics problems at the same time.
What?

Everyone knows apple is avoiding touch screens on laptops because they are trying to protect their ipad sales. Hinder one product to prop up another, a very apple thing to do.

Touch screens add almost nothing to the cost. If you dont like it just don't touch it, problem solved. There is not reason no to include it as an option, other than to protect ipad sales.

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
Aren't they the one complaining of a 40% hit in performance?

Intel is running out of fingers to cover the holes.
Fully fixing zombieload, requires removing HT. That would give 40% performance reduction to any intel CPU that uses HT. Not just apple.
But they put patches that reduced the potential of attacks without needing to remove HT by fixing it through the OS. They put the option to remove HT in case you want to.

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
Touch screens add almost nothing to the cost.
That is incorrect. MS spent a lot of money and time to make windows 8 fully compatible to touch over windows 7.
Even if physically it cost “almost nothing” (which I doubt) to add, it requires a lot of software changes that will cost money, a lot of it, to the OS.

·
Premium Member
20,106 Posts
Yeah...reason I said if you actually enable the full migration. Looking like band-aid solution atm.
My wife has a 2013 MB Pro i want to replace with a new one. I think it only has a Dual core with HT. I may have to wait till Apple gets their own cpu.

Until AMD brings full TB support (or apple switch TB3 to USB4), don’t expect ryzen in apple.
Also considering ryzen takes more power than intel, the throttling would be even worse.
I have a Ryzen 8 Core but only 65W TDP. Gaming does not use much. I'd imagine the mobile version whether intel or amd will behave like the desktop part. CPU Power Package show less than 40W. Not sure if that's accurate. That's Apex. Single fan on the cpu cooler only goes to around 800 rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
8c i9 with 5Ghz boost is Core i9-9980HK and it's upto 200W Chip!
@45W it can only run @2.7Ghz all core.
Look at the fallowing review with same CPU on Larger Gaming Laptop:
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/27215-asus-rog-g703gx-review/

I have a Ryzen 8 Core but only 65W TDP. Gaming does not use much. I'd imagine the mobile version whether intel or amd will behave like the desktop part. CPU Power Package show less than 40W. Not sure if that's accurate. That's Apex. Single fan on the cpu cooler only goes to around 800 rpm.
Can you limit the power to 45W to see CB R15 score? the Core i9 8C gets ~1300pts @2.7Ghz, lets see how Ryzen handles it.
AMD already has 45W 8C and looks like it can operate higher then 2.7Ghz all core @45W!.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700e
It's only the limited Max boost clocks of GF 12nm that lets Intel to look better.

Attachments

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
Intel’s new top chip for the MacBook Pro is a 45W TDP chip, 2.4ghz-5.0ghz boost.
AMD’s equal performance package takes more power (of course performance depends on throttling. If AMD will throttle more, it will performance less, and vice versa).

And comparing your desktop chip which is not cramped up in a thin package and a miniature heatsink, is irrelevent. It’s like comparing a hyundai i30 and i10, and claiming that i30 is more comfortable. Well, duh.

·
Premium Member
20,106 Posts
Intel’s new top chip for the MacBook Pro is a 45W TDP chip, 2.4ghz-5.0ghz boost.
AMD’s equal performance package takes more power (of course performance depends on throttling. If AMD will throttle more, it will performance less, and vice versa).

And comparing your desktop chip which is not cramped up in a thin package and a miniature heatsink, is irrelevent. It’s like comparing a hyundai i30 and i10, and claiming that i30 is more comfortable. Well, duh.
Only a fool will believe intel's TDP. lol

·
Premium Member
20,106 Posts
Yep, like I mentioned in post https://www.overclock.net/forum/27974938-post29.html
This 8c chip is 180W+ to run at full speed or 45W to run at 58% of it's max speed.
I am sure Linus will do "Water Cooling MacbookPro with Core i9 8 core!!!"
In multi-threaded scenario of course ryzen will score higher in rendering cos of smt. C15, for example, it will score around 1520 pts at 2.8GHz. But, does not really matter when talking about MBs, though, cos amd has not TB feature like Defoler pointed out.

·
Registered
675 Posts
For Ryzen in mac we need to wait for USB4, I just wanted to imply that this 8C isn't much more efficient in MT vs low TDP Ryzen 2700, and allowing over 100W to let it boost ST over 4Ghz is just stupid in slim notebooks.

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
Only a fool will believe intel's TDP. lol
Only a fool put such a claim without hard evidence.

Yep, like I mentioned in post https://www.overclock.net/forum/27974938-post29.html
This 8c chip is 180W+ to run at full speed or 45W to run at 58% of it's max speed.
I am sure Linus will do "Water Cooling MacbookPro with Core i9 8 core!!!"

Full speed at 5ghz or at 2.4ghz?
Intel market it as 2.4ghz, so 45w at 2.4ghz on all cores. Boost can mean 1 core at 5ghz or 4 cores at 4ghz at most. They are promising 2.4ghz, not 5ghz. Just like AMD are promising the 2700x to run at 3.7ghz, not 4.3ghz.

It doesn't specify 5ghz at all cores which could put it at the alleged 180w+ claim (I don't see anything that support that claim).

The 9900K is 3.6ghz at 95w. So it makes sense to have it at 2.4ghz and 45w.
Considering this is a thin thermal space, unlike gaming motherboards, apple could restrict it to the TDP.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,529 Posts
It's annoying that they don't upgrade the touch bar-less MBPs. My 2012 Air is most likely on its last OS and it's about time to upgrade it. But 13" is meh for MBP and 15" is only with touch bar. New Air is a weird upgrade considering the 13" MBP is just better. I really don't want to go for Dell XPS but god damn it Apple.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,069 Posts
It's annoying that they don't upgrade the touch bar-less MBPs. My 2012 Air is most likely on its last OS and it's about time to upgrade it. But 13" is meh for MBP and 15" is only with touch bar. New Air is a weird upgrade considering the 13" MBP is just better. I really don't want to go for Dell XPS but god damn it Apple.

thicker non touchbar 15" with double heatsink thermal cap and 99whr battery when?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
What?

Everyone knows apple is avoiding touch screens on laptops because they are trying to protect their ipad sales. Hinder one product to prop up another, a very apple thing to do.

Touch screens add almost nothing to the cost. If you dont like it just don't touch it, problem solved. There is not reason no to include it as an option, other than to protect ipad sales.
1. That certainly is part of the equation from a portfolio perspective, however the other direction is actually what the credible and logical rumors suggest might occur; meaning macOS slowly is replaced by iOS.

2. The problem is when you introduce touchscreens, which are freaking gross, there is measured drops in productivity because software now has to be usable for two diametrically opposed interaction paradigms. So you end up hindering the poweruser keyboard, shortcut, touchpad users to support use case scenarios which are irrelevant. If you need any more proof of what I'm talking about, consider the stupid touchbar for everything except touchid.

I use a MBP because it was the laptop that had the perfect combination of power, "it just works", and productivity for me to get stuff done the fastest. I will fight with anything I can to keep this productivity level. (I type this from my 2015 MBP instead of my 2018 one because it's *more* productive)

That being said, I actively advocate against family and friends getting touchscreens like Yoga and ThinkPads because they just tank productivity. Do you move your hands to hit the screen or use the awful trackpad?

Fact is, the trackpads on macs are so good you don't need a touchscreen. The primary reason most people want touchscreens for windows machines is because the touchpads and software support is almost universally crap.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,529 Posts
Fact is, the trackpads on macs are so good you don't need a touchscreen. The primary reason most people want touchscreens for windows machines is because the touchpads and software support is almost universally crap.
This is one of the reasons why I don’t want to switch to anything else. Touchpad, especially new bigger ones are absolutely amazing to use.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts